Wesley Adam, born 7/16 @ 40 weeks

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2009, 05:17 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wesley Adam
7/16/09
5 lbs, 8 oz
19.5 inches

Well, it all started when I noticed that Wesley was not being as active as usual for a few days. I thought maybe my body would go into labor soon, but I was only having Braxton Hicks contractions. I decided to go crazy and mow our yard, pull weeds, wash the car, ect. to try and move things along.

When all the activity still did not have an effect on his movements, I tried eating spicy food, drink soda, and then regular coffee. I still only got a couple kicks the whole day. I told my hubby to take off the next day at work (July 15th) so I could go to the hospital to be checked out.

To shorten the story some, my BP was really high, I was spilling protein in my urine, and his movements were greatly decreased. The high risk OB basically told us Wesley was done cooking now that I was almost 40 weeks, but he was not doing what was necessary to move on out.

They admitted me, and started Cytotec. I began contracting, but his heart rate was dropping with each contraction. Nurses ran in the room and put me on oxygen, which I had to have until delivery. By then I was 3 cms, and they moved me to the labor unit.

At around 2 am on the 16th, they decided he needed to come out soon, since he was in distress. I told them I wanted a vaginal delivery, and they agreed to let me continue to labor. They gave me the smallest amount of Pitocin, and everything went downhill. Apparently, my body just needed a little chemical “push”. I started contracting out-of-control. My water broke on it’s own, and was full of Meconium. Wes was in distress again, and I was contracting every 30 seconds, all in my back. I had refused an epidural until that time, and was at 6 cms.

My mother, Jay, and I could hear the monitor recording Wesley’s heart rate, and we knew he was in trouble. I received an epidural, and we started to discuss an emergency c-section. By then, I had made it to 10 cms, and was fully effaced. We all prayed Wes would come out on his own quickly. He had other plans. He was stuck at 0 station for 4 hours.

A team of doctors and nurses were watching me, and once they started talking about Wesley passing away (his heart rate was in the 60s for over a minute at a time) I just wanted my baby boy out!

Wesley’s heartbeat slowed to almost nothing (we could hear the monitor that was inserted vaginally and reading his heart rate), and within 10 minutes I was prepped and taken to the OR.

The c-section went well. I had some awful nurses, and issues receiving pain medicine after the surgery, but we are doing ok. I am very swollen and sore. Wesley swolled quite a bit of Meconium and his stomach needed to be suctioned out. I am breast feeding, and supplementing with formula because of the trauma to his throat, and his size. He scored a 9 on his second Apgar, and is very healthy, just small.

We love him to pieces, and I am thanking God every minute for him. The way he got here, and how he is being fed is not important to me like it was before his birth. I am just so thankful he is happy, and alive.

Thanks for reading our story.

After C-section

Our tiny cone head with red hair.

So sleepy

Car ride home

Nap with Dad

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
July 19th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Mel531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
awww what a precious lil peanut, he looks like his mama!

what a frightening experience...you poor dear, I cant imagine how scared you must have been!

But, he made it, and he's healthy and that is the only thing that counts now. Congratulations on your beautiful little boy!
Seth 7-6-98, and Joel 7-13-09

July 19th, 2009, 06:15 AM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(((Lauren))) He's beautiful! I'm so thankful that he's here and that you both are healthy (despite such a rough entrance).

July 19th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks ladies.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
July 19th, 2009, 06:29 AM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow Lauren that is quite a birth story, I would have been so afraid when his heart rate dropped for so long! Your story has a lot of similarities to mine (back labor, pit/induction, HR dropping and emergent c-section) Nora was a little peanut like Wes too.

I'm glad everything is OK now, and it's funny how your priorities change so quickly!

July 19th, 2009, 06:41 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
He is simply precious!! Look at how tiny he is!!! I LOVE the red hair-I hope it sticks around! For some reason little redheads are my favorite lol...wonder if my, my SO, and my DD's red hair all have something to do with my appreciation for it.

Anyway congrats! I am so glad he is here healthy...that is most important!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila's Mom Jen View Post
He is simply precious!! Look at how tiny he is!!! I LOVE the red hair-I hope it sticks around! For some reason little redheads are my favorite lol...wonder if my, my SO, and my DD's red hair all have something to do with my appreciation for it.

Anyway congrats! I am so glad he is here healthy...that is most important!
I hope it stays too. I have some natural red heads in my family, so of course they were so excited to hear of his hair color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope75 View Post
Wow Lauren that is quite a birth story, I would have been so afraid when his heart rate dropped for so long! Your story has a lot of similarities to mine (back labor, pit/induction, HR dropping and emergent c-section) Nora was a little peanut like Wes too.

I'm glad everything is OK now, and it's funny how your priorities change so quickly!
Maybe our little ones were on the same wavelength or something. My Mom is calling him a little peanut too. It will be fun to see how much they grow.

................ ...

Ruby (2.16.11)
July 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM
viXen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry for some many complications but thank goodness he is okay!

He is beautiful, congratulations!!

July 19th, 2009, 09:31 AM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
I am so glad you both made it safely through that. I'm sorry it didn't go as you planned, but it sure doesn't matter anymore.. He is adorable with that red hair, oh my..

..... ..
July 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Jade27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He is beautiful, I am glad to hear that in the end everything turned out great.
July 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM
monilove's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
CONGRATS! Happy to hear you two are doing wll after the scary experience.
July 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SFOTraveler
He looks so much like you! Congratulations and thank goodness everything turned out ok!

Thanks cavewoman!
July 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on such a cute little boy! It is crazy how are stories have some parallels. I hope you are recovering well.

Ethan is celebrating Baya's arrival on 8-24-11
July 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That had to be so scary for you!

CONGRATS on your little man

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search