Kayla Brianne July 18th, 39 weeks (Updated with pictures)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Audrey.'s Avatar Kira & Kayla's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Audrey. Send a message via MSN to Audrey.
This is gonna be long, just to warn you! So, Friday was a day like any other. My mom and I had joked about me going into labor the weekend of my brother's birthday, but seriously, just joked. I had no idea what was about to happen. No warning signs, just as I had none with Kira.
Kira had speech therapy from 2pm-2:30pm at the house. While her therapist was here, I had one mild contraction, similar to the ones I had the week before. I honestly can't even remember what I was doing later on in the day before they started coming faster. Probably on the laptop doing something. Kira fell asleep about 3pm, and at about 5, I decided to paint my nails. So I got everything together and started that. I realized I was having contractions occasionally, but I didn't think much of it. After about an hour, I realized I'd had quite a few. I decided to call my mom and let her know there was a slight possibility I might be going into real labor soon. Mistake. She was calling me at least every half an hour after that. I texted Mark at work to let him know too. He called me and I told him I would let him know if I wanted him to come home, that the contractions were pretty mild and so much easier than what I experienced with Kira. It was looking good that I would be able to at least go longer without an epidural.
I messed up my right pinky nail, and decided I needed to redo it, but later. So I just removed the polish, and figured I'd get to it later. I mention this because when you see my pictures later, you won't wonder why all but right pinky nail is painted! No, I never got to redo it! So then I started a load of laundry and got some things out to pack in my hospital bag. At this point, all I could think of was the women who talked about having contractions for days or weeks and not going into labor. I figured that's all this was, but I was preparing just to be safe. My mom kept calling me, which was just slowing me down and annoying me.
The contractions started coming faster, and I was having to breathe through them by about 8 pm. My mom finally told me I needed to tell Mark to come home, because I'd had 4 contractions in 10 minutes while talking on the phone with her. I still wasn't timing them... I know, bad. I was just so freaking busy, I was only thinking of the things I needed to get done, and starting to really think this was it. I didn't think there was much point in Mark coming home yet because he couldn't pack anything or take my shower for me. But I finally texted him at about 8:45 and told him that my mom thought he should come home, and he could decide. A few minutes later, I was ready to beg him to come home. I realized I'd forgotten to feed Kira her dinner, and the pain was getting bad to the point I had to stop everything each time I had a contraction. I had called his sister once to tell her I may be in labor, and decided to call her back to come pick Kira up. So she and Mark were on there way here by 9 pm.
I still had almost nothing done. I packed Kira's bag, and started working on mine and Kayla's stuff. When Mark got here, he was mad because he saw how much pain I was in. But I assured him there wasn't much he could have done being here. Then Mark's sister and husband showed up. They stayed for almost 30 minutes, which slowed me down even more. And they all made comments about how close my contractions were and that I should leave for the hospital. But I said nope, gotta finish packing the bags and get my shower. So they finally left and things sped up a little, except the contractions were so hard and fast that it was really difficult. I was stopping every minute or two for them. Mark kept saying, "You don't have time to get a shower!", the same thing my mom kept telling me. I got irritated and snapped at him that I WAS GETTING MY SHOWER! I finally finished packing and got Mark into the shower with me. I would wash my body, grab Mark's hands for a contraction, wash my face, grab Mark's hand for a contraction, wash my hair, you get it. They were coming fast. Oh, it had turned to quite a bit of back labor by then too. I had gotten Mark to push in on my back, but it just wasn't helping at all. I couldn't figure it out cause it didn't feel like Kayla was posterior, so I don't know why it got so bad in my back.
We finished and left the house for the hospital at 11:30pm. We got there a few minutes to midnight. I remember saying on the way there that I was going to be sooo pissed if I was only 2 or 3 cm after all the contractions I'd been through. Well, you guessed it, I was only 3 cm. I started crying cause I was so frustrated. I didn't even cry with Kira til they threatened a c/s with her. I just couldn't believe it. The nurse felt bad for me and assured me that though I was only 3 cm, my cervix was very soft and ready... just needed the dilation. All I could think was it's gonna be a long night. I was already exhausted. My mom and best friend started taking bets about when I would go, and I heard 6 am, which would make this a 12 hour labor! I was pissed, and asked them to be quiet. I asked the nurse about an epidural but told her I wasn't ready for it yet, just wanted to know the anisthesiolosit was available. She got my urine sample and came back about 30 minutes later to tell me that I was severely dehydrated. It was then that I realized I hadn't had anything to drink since my contractions had started. I had just completely forgotten everything that didn't have to do with getting ready for the hospital. She had called my OB who told her to immediately put my IV in and get me fluids. I practicaly begged her not to, to just let me have some ice. But everyone in the room (Mark, my mom, best friend and the nurse) convinced me to just let her do it. I didn't want to be stuck to an IV so soon, but I gave in. It took forever for her to find a vein because she said she never even attempts it until she knows she can get it. She did great though when she finaly found one. But she didn't get very much blood because of the dehydration and warned me that she may have to stick me again later if they couldn't get my bloodwork done with it. And without the proper bloodwork results, no epi either. So then I had to worry about that too.
Within about an hour of arriving, the pain was so awful I didn't even want to move to another position. I did finally try though. I got on my hands and knees, and even had Mark try pressing on my back in different areas to try to find one that would help. I thought I was gonna die from the pain. It was worse! So I laid back down to my reclined position to suffer through it. Another 30 minutes, and I was begging for the epidural. In between every contraction I kept saying how much I just needed to go to sleep. I don't remember ever being so sleepy! I started feeling nauseous which I was told was because I was breathing too quickly during my contractions, so I slowed down my breathing which helped. I still just wanted to pass out. Mark was timing my contractions and they were almost perfectly 3 minutes apart. I could watch the spaces between them on the monitor to predict them. The nurse brought in the stupid video to watch about epidurals which I had seen before with Kira, but they are required to show it to you. I asked the nurse to check me one more time before I gave in to the epidural. It was about 2am then. She checked and said I was almost a 6! I thought wow, I went 3 cm in 2 hours, maybe it wouldn't be all night after all.
Sometime around 2:15 I realized I was having a mild sensation to push and lots of rectal pressure. I just figured it was the contractions so I didn't say anything about it. Still waiting for the anisthesiologist to come. I honestly can't remember exactly what time he came in. He of course, had to go through all the precautions and details of what he was going to do. I wanted to yell, just do it already! But I was so sleepy and hurting that I hardly heard a word he was saying. I just nodded. So then I sat up and he started working around my contractions. He made a comment that I sure was having a lot of contractions but that I was doing good. About 4 contractions into it, I felt severe pain and pressure in my rectum and abrubtly announced to everyone that OMG I was going to poop (only that's not the word I used). It was apparently funny because everyone in the room, including the anisthesiologist, started laughing. I was not amused, but I also did not poop. The next contraction felt very much the same, only I felt pressure in my vagina and a little burning. I thought and said OMG, she's coming! The nurse looked at the anisthesiologist and said "I think she really might be coming!" I just kept saying I need to push, I need to push! But he had to finish. The nurse asked if that was the first time I felt like I needed to push. I said no, but it was the first tme I felt like I REALLY needed to. I just knew Kayla was going to be born on the side of the bed! But he finished up, and after my next contraction, they laid me back. Everyone in the room was like whoa! Apparently, my water bag was hanging out of me, which was fascinating for some reason. So the nurse said, yeah you're there. It had only been maybe 30 minutes since I was 6cm, and I was ready to push. My doctor finally arrived just in time to pop my water bag, and then I was ready to push. I kept saying over and over, where's my pain killers, where's my pain killers, why is it not working?! I was so terrified to feel Kayla crowning. The poor anisthesiologist came over to turn it up 3 times, but it was just too late. He said I'm sorry, you're just ahead of me, I got here too late. Um, yeah. So I pushed for 8 minutes (I had to ask about it cause I was so tired I couldn't even remember). And I think the epidural had just started to kick in a little because the crowning wasn't too bad although I could definitely feel some burning. I remember I kept squeezing my eyes shut through the contractions, and as she came out, everyone said Audrey look, look, look, open your eyes, she's here! I knew I had felt it, I just didn't think I was that close yet. I thought I was imagining it. As soon as she was out, the pain was just GONE! I could not believe how quickly I had progressed in less than 3 hours. I knew the second labor usually went quicker, but I just didn't expect to go from 3 cm to seeing my baby in less than 3 hours! But boy did the early labor at home drag on forever! I know though, that things wouldn't have progressed so easily if I hadn't spent that time at home being active, rather than going to the hospital early to sit around in a bed for hours. Of course, after the birth occurred, I got to deal with the stupid epidural numbing my legs for 4 hours. Oh well.
Kayla Brianne was born at 2:50 am on Saturday, July 18th. She has blue eyes and brown hair, not the blonde that everyone originally thought. She is just absolutely precious. She weighed 6 lbs 7 oz, and was 18 inches long. She was 6 lbs 2 oz when we left the hospital, and yesterday, she was down to 5 lbs, 15 oz. We are going back Wednesday for another weight check. Hopefully, she won't have dropped below the 10% mark. I will try to get some pictures posted later tonight if I get a chance.

This is the best pic I have of her eyes right now.. sorry for the boobage!

Mark and my dad:

Kira playing on the bed, completely oblivious to Kayla!

Last edited by Audrey.; July 21st, 2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added pictures
July 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! You did so good! I can't wait to see pictures of your princess!

July 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
fresh's Avatar Veteran
wow, she is beautiful!

July 23rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
i can def sympathize with you on the pain Congrats on your lil girl!!!

July 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
She is just gorgeous & you did a great job!!!

don't worry, i yelled "i feel like i have to ****!!!!" to everyone in the room too...my ob said "that's good...keep pushing just like that!" luckily i didn't poop myself either, but i did laugh at myself afterwards! All modesty kinda goes out the window after 40 weeks of pregnancy, 36 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing

July 24th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww, Audrey, she's beautiful!!

#1, 4, 5, 7

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search