Team Green no more! James Phillip, 7/16 @ 42 weeks

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2009, 07:03 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My little Team Greener’s arrival story starts at 41 weeks and 5 days past my due date. On Tuesday, July 14th I was scheduled to be induced since my little angel wasn’t showing signs of arriving naturally. I was supposed to go in at 7:30 AM, but the doc told me to call before we show up as sometimes folks get bumped. At 6 AM, I make a call and lo and behold, they want me to call back at 10. Ok, we go back to bed!

10 AM… I call and things are still crazy at the hospital and they can’t fit me in. My mood declines severely. The head nurse I speak to says she’s going to call my doctor, they’ll figure out a plan, and I should call back at 1.

1 PM… I call and they tell me I’m supposed to get an ultrasound at my doctor’s office and then come in. I’m confused as I have no idea when I’m supposed to go in for the U/S- no one has called us. I call, get the story straight- we have an appt. for 2 PM.

2 PM… In for the ultrasound with our bags in the trunk of the car. Ultrasound shows low fluid… boo for low fluid, yay for a one way ticket to the hospital! Off to the hospital we go- next time we go home, we’ll have our baby!

We get checked in at 3 PM on Tuesday afternoon, then things slow way down. It is so hectic at the hospital that it takes forever for anyone to even see me. When they do, it is the same report I’ve heard for 3 weeks now… 2 cm dilated, 50% effaced. As I’m sitting around, I have a few real natural contractions, but mostly I’m just sitting around. I get started on Cervadil, the cervix ripening gel, at 11 PM. Fast forward to 11 AM the next day… I am about the same, though quite softened and the doctors are apparently pleased with this. I’m not convinced!

Wednesday is spent going on and off Pitocin. First dosage the baby’s heart rate dips and they pull me off. I have lots of natural contractions. Second try my uterus kind of freaks out and has too much activity too fast. We meet with the doctor in the evening and decide to try again overnight and then we may have to take an alternate route. Natural contractions until midnight, pitocin steadily increasing until Thursday morning. We check me- 3.5 cm, 75% effaced. We keep going and I get some pain meds (Nubane) to take the edge off so get some sleep.

It’s now Thursday around 1:30 PM. We check me. There is hardly any change and the doc is really concerned that although my body is moving along, it is going very slowly. AND, more importantly, there are signs that as my contractions become stronger, my body stops reacting well, implying the placenta just ain’t cutting it and baby is getting stressed. I mean, I am 42 weeks at this point!

We make the decision to go ahead with a c-section for the health of the baby given the state of my placenta, or what we think is its state. The room is already prepped, they get me ready, hubby changes into his scrubs, and I walk myself on across the hall to a lovely bright operating room with about 1,000 people in there!

I get the anesthesia (which was a breeze- the doc said it was because I was so relaxed) and then get strapped on to the table. Hubby comes in and we get started. The whole thing was pretty quick. I could not believe how hard they push on your abdomen- I mean, ouch! I guess it wasn’t really ouch since I was numb, but MAN that is some serious pressure and discomfort, if only for a few minutes!

Hubby was brave and stood up to see the kiddo delivered. The “stork” pulled baby out and the first thing to show was an ear! Pop, the moment happened and everyone asked DH to make the call- It’s a BOY! Team Green no more, welcome to Team Blue!

James Phillip
Born July 16, 2:30 PM on the dot
7 lbs, 5.5 oz
20” long
Big dark blue eyes destined to turn brown, LOTS of dark brown hair, very alert, adorable from second 1. No idea what the apgars were!

Hubby was emotional and not sure what to do with himself. He was torn between staying with me on the table and going to our son. I had to keep telling him I’m fine, go see our little boy! We was over there for the weighing and he cut the cord (which we didn’t think he’d do) and was so excited to pick him up and hold him. The nurses got great shots! DH brought James over and I was able to say hi (he obviously knew my voice) and give him some kisses. I was just as happy when they needed to go do baby business as I started feeling nauseous and was eager to just get sewn up and have my arms released.

Shortly there after, I am wheeled back to room. It’s kind of a blur the order of events next. I know Adam helped put on a diaper (and change a very early poopy one!), James got washed up, and I went ahead and dove into breast feeding. James was a great mothersucker right from the start!!! We finally invited the grandparents in around 4, though didn’t tell them the gender until they got into the room. It was teary for all!

The next 3 days were spent in the hospital with lots of ups and downs- many diapers, some jaundice, a hungry baby wanting milk that hadn’t come in yet, some napping, good food, excellent nurses, sweet baby, evil baby… James was circumcised his second day and hubby went in to be with him. Said he did great and that having his diaper changed was far more traumatic than the circ! We were very happy to leave on Sunday night though- I only left the room 3 times plus the surgery!

And now we’ve been home for a few days and are getting the hang of things. We’ve had stressful sleepless nights, a lot of screaming fits that we’re not sure how to handle, and many many sweet moments! I have the sorest nipples ever and we dread bedtime, but I know it will get better and with such a sweet face, it makes things that much easier to handle!

July 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Okay, I mostly only lurk on this board as I patiently await my own baby, but I had to comment and say holy geez he is cute!!!!! I mean, really cute. Congratulations!!

July 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM
monilove's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!!
July 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
jen44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He is so darn cute!!! I love that second home pic of him

Chloe - 6/18/09
Eli - 2/13/12
July 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
He is too cute for words!!! Congrats!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He's so adorable! Quite small for not wanting to come out too. Congratulations!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search