BTDT War Stories?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
I may be being a bit sensitive but I really donít like referring to birth stories as war stories. That implies that it is something scary/dangerous which in most cases it is not. Yes some women have traumatic births but in the end they have a baby- the end of the war is not quite so pleasant.

Anywhere is my birth story just as I wrote it 2.5 years ago.

January 19: One week before my due date, my second day of mat leave (technically I was still working I was taking my last two vacation days) and I was feeling great! I got up at 8:30 and putted around the house a bit before heading downtown to meet Angelina for lunch. After a huge buffet (yum!) I hung around her office for a bit chatting then hopped on the train to head home. I got home around 2:30 and goofed around on the computer, I was starting to feel crampy and tired, nothing unusual, I had been feeling this way for weeks. I called Gustavo and told him I was going to take a nap and I went off to bed. During a couple of my many zombie state trips to the bathroom I noticed I was actually pooping ( a rare occurrence during my pregnancy). Of course I didn't even think this was a labour sign because I always thought it would be explosive. You know my body telling me "I AM NOW GETTING READY FOR LABOUR. TIME FOR SOME HOUSE CLEANING. BOOM."...But it wasn't.

Gustavo got home around 7:00 and I decided to drag my butt out of bed. I rolled over onto my back to get ready to roll off the bed (the only way to get out of bed when your completely round) and I felt a really weird sensation. Not a pop. More like the baby straightened out and kicked my ribs and head butted my whoo-haa at the same time. When I finally got up a felt a little trickle. I thought I peed myself! I ran to the bathroom, and there was no gush. Just my wet underwear. I thought to myself "I'm losing badder control and I could be pregnant for another 3 weeks! UGH, could it get anyway worse" Then I yelled for Gustavo to get me some clean underwear, of course he asked why and I had to yell "I peed my pants", something I haven't said since I was five. I put on pad in case of any future accidents and sat down to watch the Ellen Show. About 7:50 I got up to pee again and that's when it happened. Niagara falls in my pants! I yelled to Gustavo "I think my water just broke!" and did the wet pants waddle down the hall. Of course he didn't see the gush because of my pad and black pants so he said "Are you sure? Isn't it supposed to be a lot?". So I pulled down my pants so he could see for himself! Then we made our way to the bathroom so I could sit on the toilet.

Of course then we had to call family/friends and tell them the baby was coming! I called labour and delivery and they told me to come on n. I asked if I could take a shower and stuff first and they said sure. My contractions had already started bu they were mild and I was describing them to Gustavo as cramps. My whole labour was in the front, I had no back pain at all. We killed some time at home by showering, finishing packing, and calling some more people. Around 10:00 my contractions were 5-7 minutes apart and getting painful so we head out. We stopped at Safeway or some snacks and when the cashier asked when we were due we told her we were on the way to the hospital to have the baby right now!

We arrived at the hospital and I was hooked up to the monitors in triage. We spent the first hour joking around and breathing through contractions. By 11:30 they were getting more painful and closer together. The nurse checked me and I was 2-3 cm and ~80% effaced. Yay progress! I was 0cm and only 25% at my last Dr's appointment. Then she told me they would usually give me some morphine and gravol and send me home to sleep. WHAT! I AM IN SERIOUS PAIN. HOW COULD I SLEEP.

I wasn't planning a totally drug free child birth. I went in the with idea that if I needed something I would ask for it, but once I went into labour I knew that I couldn't take narcotics or get an epidural. I had this weird feeling that I needed to have total control of my mind and body in order to deal with the contractions. I told her that they were really starting to hurt and I would rather stay and walk around, I can't take gravol (makes me sick) and I didn't want any narcotics. She said they would leave me on the monitor for a bit and then talk to the Dr. Well "a bit" turned into an hour because of a shift change and the monitor was totally useless because I would NOT lie down during contractions. I had to sit up to deal with the pain. When they checked me at 12:30 I was 5-6 cm and we were getting a room!

They unhooked me and sent Gustavo down to admitting. I spent the next few minutes labour on the floor on my hands and knees waiting for Gustavo and my nurses. I walked to my room during a contraction, luckily it was right next door! We had two nurses and a HUGE room. The nurses asked me if I wanted to gt in the shower and I just started stripping down. I stayed in the shower for an hour. On my hands and knees breathing through contractions (with my head out the shower door to cool off) and sitting back during my breaks. At 1:30 I went to the bed to be checked. I was 7 cm. I told Gustavo that there was no way I was going to be able to handle transition. The nurses told me this WAS transition. I went back to the shower and after lots of groaning and gagging at 2:00 (I lost track of time here, so this could have been 2:30) I asked to be checked again. 8 cm, only 1 cm progress! We tried some new positions, with the squat bar, the birthing ball, leaning over the bed. I also tried the gas but I couldn't handle it during a contraction I used it a few times to calm down in between contractions when I was getting really worked up.

I felt like I had to pee so I went to the bathroom and spent the last 30 min of labour on the toilet. The nurse checked me on the toilet and all I had was a little cervical lip. The last six or so contractions were very close together and EXTREMELY intense and painful. My body was pushing even though I wasn't (the nurses were totally cool with this, they said just let your body do what it wants). During these contractions I SCREAMED what I like to call my death scream. During the peak I really felt like I was losing control and my breathing techniques flew right out the window. But then it was 3:30 and I was ready to push!!

I was scared of pushing. I thought "all this pain of contractions plus pushing I'm not going to be able to do it.". But pushing DID feel better. It still hurt, but more of a grunting moaning hurt not a death scream hurt. The nurses said I was pushing really well, and itís true, it is like trying to have a poop. Seems like all that constipation is just practice for labour! Anyway I pushed, and pushed and pushed. We tried lots of different positions, even tried a birthing stool. Violeta had he head slightly turned so she was not coming down easy! They had called my Dr (not one I had met! He was covering the on call for my Dr's, he was from a different practice!) The nurses use warm compresses to stretch my perineum. After 2 hours of pushing I told Gustavo to go take a nap in the lazy boy chair (he has been up for over 24 hours). After 3 hours of pushing my contractions were becoming weaker and I was doing most of the pushing myself (which is not as effective). The nurses suggested and IV to rehydrate me and a small dose of an oxytocin. Of course this meant I had to be hooked up to the monitors. But this could be done in my preferred pushing position: sitting slightly reclined with my legs on the squat bar. My mom was like " No stirrups?", things have changed so much!. The DR came in at this point and started to apply mineral oil and stretch my perineum while pushing so I wouldn't tear. He was a FABULOUS Dr and we really lucked out. The oxytocin was helping my pushing a lot, the extra help from the contractions made a HUGE difference. But I was exhausted physically and mentally so I asked the Dr if he thought we could get her out in a few pushes if he used the vacuum to help me. Of course we discussed how it would work, the risks, he should me the equipment, etc. All this while still pushing!

We woke up Gustavo and he got the camera ready (I'm still pushing). They had to call in a pediatrician but told me if she looked good to my Dr at birth the pediatrician wouldn't be needed and she would be given straight to me. We had also asked earlier about delaying her tests/shots until we were ready and they had agreed to this. One contraction (four pushes) with the help of the vacuum and she was down around my pelvis. The next contraction I pushed her head out. I'm pretty sure I did the death scream at this point, it burned A LOT, like a blow torch to you crotch! Next contraction I pushed out her shoulders and then I reached down and pulled her up on to my stomach. She started crying right away! Violeta Lourdes born at 7:22 am after four hours of pushing!

It was instant physical relief, no more contractions. I was SO happy. For labour to be over, to meet my baby girl! Gustavo cut the cord and they wrapped her on my chest. After a few minutes I handed her to Gustavo so I could deliver the placenta and get more comfortable (my legs were still up in the air), Delivering the placenta felt like a "sploosh". The DR showed me all the parts. It was gross and cool. I wish I would have taken a picture! They did her 5 min APGAR test (she scored 9 and 9!) and Gustavo handed her back to me . We spent the next hour or so starring at her. She wasn't interested in breastfeeding at all, we tried a few times but she was a sleepy baby!. Pretty much all the staff left the room right after the birth. We had one nurse (a new one, shift change) but I had no tearing or complications so they left us alone. Eventually the nurse weighed and measured her with Gustavo's help. We made some phone calls, Gustavo went and grabbed our bag, then held Violeta while I got a much needed shower. It was at this point she got her eye drops and vitamin K shot (They asked if we wanted these). She didn't cry when she got either. She is one tough cookie!

We were all tagged (with wristbands) and set up in a wheel chair and wheeled to our room......And that is the birth story of our beautiful baby girl..
September 10th, 2009, 07:42 AM
noworries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Mami View Post
I may be being a bit sensitive but I really donít like referring to birth stories as war stories. That implies that it is something scary/dangerous which in most cases it is not. Yes some women have traumatic births but in the end they have a baby- the end of the war is not quite so pleasant.
I had the same reaction to "war stories".
September 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, here is the link to my birth story for DS#2 which is over on board for the June 2008 PR:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f5...rth-story.html

Here is a brief run down of my birth with DS#1:
I was 39 weeks along the morning my water broke (7am). It was just a trickle not the huge gush. I didn't have any contractions yet and baby's movements were strong so we delayed going to the hospital until about 1 pm. By the time I got there I was still in very early labor with the most wimpy contractions - I walked, stayed hydrated, and walked some more. It wasn't until about 7 pm that real labor kicked in and the contractions were something I needed to concentrate on. I had a long labor and I ended up pretty much exhausted and stalled at 9 cm and DS#1's head was way high, my contractions petered out and my OB was worried. She strongly recommended an epidural to help rest my body and then after a rest some pitocin to help get me moving again so I could finish dilating and hopefully push him out. We had alot of discussions with the OB and with just DH and me and I was extremely disappointed at myself for getting an epidural - I had wanted a natural and intervention free birth and it wasn't happening. BUT, my OB's suggestions worked and probably saved me from a c-section. I made it to a 10 and was able to push him down but he got stuck in the birth canal and we had a vacuum assisted birth. No episiotomy and only a small tear requiring about 6-7 stitches. Man was my baby cone-headed from all that pusing and that vacuum! But he was perfect and healthy and I made a speedy recovery. He was 6# and 11 ounces, 20 inches. He's 2 1/2 now and he's such a little man!!!
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

September 10th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Maitri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispaza View Post
I had the same reaction to "war stories".
I prefer to think of it that we have been through a traumatic, stressful time, and some of us came away physically scarred. It is a tough thing - they don't call it "labor" for nothing. I have no problem at all with someone calling it a war story.
September 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
noworries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitri View Post
I prefer to think of it that we have been through a traumatic, stressful time, and some of us came away physically scarred. It is a tough thing - they don't call it "labor" for nothing. I have no problem at all with someone calling it a war story.
Ah, and I prefer to think of it as a beautiful, amazing, awe-inspiring time. Not saying that it's always easy (like you said, they don't call it "labor" for nothing) but it's like nothing else in the world and the result is a little person who you will love like you have never loved before.
September 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had two children and it went pretty well each time. With DS I had gotten to work that morning at 5 am like normal and around 8 am I kept noticing that I was going to the bathroom an awful lot to pee and when I got back to my desk it was almost uncontrollable and I was peeing on myself. I was 21 and clueless so I called my mom and told her what was happening and she advised me to leave immediately and come home because my water probably broke. I was pretty shocked and excited. He was two weeks early at that point but I wasn't worried. So I told my boss I had to leave because my water broke. Of course she panicked and asked if I needed an ambulance. I told her no, I wasn't in any pain at all. So I went to my moms, which is where I stayed while I was pregnant although I had my own place, and packed my bag cause I had not done it yet. At the time my sons father was in California and I had to call him and let him know. He was on the first plan here. I, with my mother in the passenger seat, drove myself to the hospital and got checked in. It was pretty uneventful for the first half but soon they noticed I was having problems dilating. It seems I had a thin piece of scar tissue over my cervix, from a previous in office surgery I had when I was teen. The nurse kept coming in to check me and trying to break the tissue so I could dilate. It was so freaking painful I swear! By the last time when she tried and I just couldn't take it anymore she finally got it and from there the contractions started coming so bad.
I asked for the epidural and they said ok but wouldn't you know it, the dang anesthesiologist wasn't even in the hospital and it took 30 mins for him to get there. I was so irritated. They finally gave me one and I was so grateful. I normally hate needles but I don't even remember him sticking me, I just wanted the pain to go away. So this is 10 and a half hours in labor by now but I was already at 10cm within 5 mins after getting the epidural. I was nervous cause it didn't seem like it was taking effect fast enough when the doc got there and wanted me to push but I didn't feel any pain just a lot of pressure. With about 5 or 6 pushes he was born! He weighed 7lb 11 oz and was born at 7:36 pm. The worst part was that I had stitches from being torn and they hurt like hell for several days after. I couldn't even take my first potty because of them. I literally had to stand up and try to poop, lol.

Now with DD it had been 8 years since I had a child so I was nervous about how it would be. I knew I shouldn't have to dilation issue again though so I figured it would go better. Well we had just moved into our house on July 4th and I spent the whole weekend putting every single box away and putting the house in order. She wasn't due until July 30th so I wasn't expecting to wake up at 2 am Monday July 7th with the same issue I had with DS, going to the bathroom constantly. I kept going and kept going, which I was use to by then, but with each trip it got harder to make it before the water would come. So it dawned on me that my water may have broken. Well when I made another trip and started to pee on the floor before getting to the toilet I knew thats what it was. Not to mention that the liquid in the toilet was cloudy and nothing like urine. So I woke dh up and told him I think my water broke. He of course had to get focused and process what I had just said. He asked was I sure and should be head to the hospital. I told him I was 99% sure and yes we should get going. I showered quickly and this time I had my bag packed already. We had to stop for gas and then hit the freeway to the hospital. It wasn't far at all and it was around 4 am when I got checked in and put in a room. Well they called my doc and since I was pretty early, not yet 37 weeks, she wanted them to give me antibiotics and pitocin. Things went pretty slow for several hours after that and although I was getting contractions they were not bad at all. I considered doing it all natural this time but would see how it went. I had topick my son up from his dad that day but obviously couldn't make it so I had to have my mom go get him for me and keep him. Well the nurse kept coming to check me and for some reason it hurt like heck on my left side every time she did and I bleeding when I went to the restroom. Well by the next time she came in to see I told her it hurt bad on one side and wanted to know why it was painful for her to check me. She said she was using her fingers to stretch my cervix open everytime and help me along. So she checked again and said I was at 3cm and stretched my cervix open to 4 cm. Oh it was way painful and when I hit 4 cm the contractions started hitting me hard, just like with DS. I still didn't think it would be real soon so I sent my husband to get some food for himself and pay our cell phone bills that were do that day. Well I was wrong about how long it would take. I sent him out around 10:30 and they immediately had to call the anesthesiologist for my epidural. This time he was right around the corner in another room , lol. Well I got the shot and at first it wasn't working that well and he had to keep increasing it. The nurse finally thought maybe I was feeling pressure from having to urinate so she put a catheter in and that did help some of the pain but I was still hurting. She decided to check me again and said that it was probably because I was at 10 cm! This all happened within an hour after my husband left. I had to hurry and call him to tell him to come back NOW! And they had to scramble and call my doctor. So 30 mins goes by and they are prepping me and the nurses are having me start to push then my doc finally walks her butt in there. I had to call dh again and he was in the parking lot heading in the building. He got in there just in time. Of course he was shocked cause when he walked in my legs where in stirrups, my business in the air and the doc down there getting ready to tell me to push, lol. Well after 3 pushes my little mama was here at 12:32 pm. She weighed 6 lbs 13 oz. I had to have a couple stitches this time but not as many and it wasn't nearly as bad as the last time.
So thats my birth stories. They both went real quick once I dilated to 4 cm. I am hoping this one goes as fast and hopefully even smoother. I'm sure he will be early just like they were. I just don't carry them to 40 weeks it seems.

September 13th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Super Mommy
Logan was exactly 2 weeks early:

I woke up at 2:00 to use the bathroom. Told Darin there was a little bit of blood mixed with urine and that Iíd just keep an eye on it (not concerned since I started losing my mucus plug on Saturday). I started having very mild menstrual type cramps (nothing new- been having those some). At 2:12, the cramp got a little worse, but not unbearable at all. At 2:17, I felt like I had to go to the bathroom again so I stood up and WHOOSH, my water broke. I went straight for the bathroom and told Darin I thought it was GO TIME. He called the drís office and started getting everything ready (we were already packed- just had to grab a few last minute things). 2 minutes later, the dr called back and I told her what was going on and she said go on to the hospital.

We got in the car and called both sets of parents to tell them we were on our way in- contractions started getting a little more strong. In the 12 minute drive to the hospital, I had 4 contractions- not mind blowing, but enough that I held on to the ďOh ****Ē handle and had to put my hand up to tell Darin to stop talking. On the way into the hospital, I had to stop for a contraction.

We walked in and went to our Labor and Delivery room- another contraction- this one even stronger. I changed into my gown and Darin had to go sign papers (thankfully, we preregistered so it didnít take too long). The nurse checked me and I was 4.5-5 cm dilated. Contractions are coming every 2 minutes or so and are very painful. The nurses struggled to get the IV in (as is usual in my case), which sucked because I couldnít get the epidural until 1 bag of IV was empty. As soon as it was, I got the epidural and within 5 minutes, the babyís heart rate dropped. They gave me oxygen and put me on either side- still not coming up. The nurse called for my doctor STAT and 4 other nurses came running in. Thankfully, I couldnít see their faces because Darin said they had looks on their faces like this wasnít good. They flipped me all kinds of which ways and gave me a catheter and internal fetal monitor while still on oxygen. Babyís heart rate came back up and they monitored me over the next 15 minutes. The doctor came and checked my progress again a few times and I was about 6.5 or 7 cm dilated (I was sure I was 8 or 9 with the contractions I was having prior to the epidural!) Those 15 minutes werenít too bad- I could feel pressure about every 5 minutes, but no pain.

Then the doctor talked with us about what was going on. She said the babyís heart rate was at a normal rate, but she wasnít happy that the babyís heart rate wasnít increasing when she would check my progress. She also was concerned because she said I was having contractions one right on top of the other. We discussed options: have a C-section or wait it out and try to have a vaginal delivery. There was no risk to the baby with the C-section (other than your normal risks with surgery) and the vaginal delivery had the risk that baby could be fine and deliver fine or he could go into distress again. Darin and I had previously talked and after all we went through to have this baby, as soon as the possibility came up that something and a C-section might be the best option, we were going with it. We just wanted to have a healthy baby. The doctor, of course went over details of the C-section and that it is a surgery and the risks and what it may mean down the road, etc. We decided not risk anything and letís do the C-section.

So they prepped me and DH came in. They had to give me a shot of something in my arm to stop my uterus from contracting (I didnít even know it, but she said I was still having contractions one on top of the other) so she could get the baby out better.

Logan was born at 5:39 am, 7 lbs, 3oz, 19.5 inches long and was/is very healthy! It ended up that he had turned at some point and was ďsunny side upĒ (his face was facing up instead of down).

September 13th, 2009, 11:59 AM
foxfire_ga79
Well maybe I'm being a bit sensitive but I think if someone has a problem with something I have to say then they should bring it to me in a private message instead of making a point to call me out in front of everybody.
But really, if I feel like referring to it as war stories I have that right. War stories is a figurative phrase used to describe people's past experiences other than just literally wars. If you don't like calling your birth experiences that then don't.
September 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Well maybe I'm being a bit sensitive but I think if someone has a problem with something I have to say then they should bring it to me in a private message instead of making a point to call me out in front of everybody.
But really, if I feel like referring to it as war stories I have that right. War stories is a figurative phrase used to describe people's past experiences other than just literally wars. If you don't like calling your birth experiences that then don't.
I think if you would want someone to discuss something like this in PM then maybe you should also have posted this by PM.

September 13th, 2009, 05:23 PM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
I think if you would want someone to discuss something like this in PM then maybe you should also have posted this by PM.

Why shouldn't I defend my words in the same place they were criticized?
September 14th, 2009, 04:01 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My point is that if you feel someone behaved in a way you didn't like a much more effective strategy is to model the behaviours you would have appreciated. You're free to respond whereever and however you want, as is anyone else. (within user guidelines, of course)

September 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM
LissaDawn's Avatar Tristan's Mommy
Wow the hormones around here!!! It is amazing how different everyone's birth experiences were.

Here is my birth story...

My OB offered to let me be induced 10 days before my due date. Throughout my pregnancy I really thought I wouldnt accept an induction that wasnt medically necessary, but when I got to the end, I was ready. The last couple of weeks were SO uncomfortable, and I was worried baby would be to big to come vaginally.

We went in at 7:30 that Saturday morning. They immediately started me on pitocin. The contractions began and they really didnt seem too bad. An hour or so later they broke my waters. It was so messy and continued to leak all day long. In a few hours I was 4 cm dialated (from 1 cm when I arrived). The contractions were strong and consistant, but definitely manageable. I felt them more in my back than in the front. I was able to hang out with family and friends and just close my eyes and breathe during the actual contractions.

I stayed at 4 cm for hours. Eventually the OB said NOW was the "right" time to get an epidural. I didnt really feel like I needed one, but I thought I wanted one before it was too late so I agreed.

The epidural administration wasnt bad at all. However, a couple of minutes later I started feeling shaky and scared. Even though I could no longer feel the contractions, I was now feeling the worst I had since the induction began. I hated the epidural! I am not sure why but it didnt seem to agree with me. Things got really confusing to me from that point. I just didnt feel right.

After a couple of hours they checked me again, and I was still at 4 cm. I was crushed. It was about 6 pm when my OB came in and said that the baby wasnt coming on his own, and that I needed to have a c-section. I was pretty hysterical still from the epi, but thankfully I had a wonderful nurse who literally held my hand for hours.

They wheeled me into the OR, and at 7:34 p.m., after about 12 hours of labor, my son was born. I was so over medicated I literally had to hold my eyelid open to see him (I wasnt asleep, just completely and totally drugged out). While they were delivering him, the doctor said he found the reason my labor didnt progress. He said my pelvis was much too narrow to deliver a full term baby and that all future pregnancies (other than premature deliveries) would need to be by c-section. On the way back to the room, I started throwing up and continued to on and off for a couple of hours. I wanted to nurse right away but had trouble kicking the family out of the room to do so. Next time I will let them know in advance.

I did not sleep a wink the entire hospital stay. I attribute this to the morphine and the epi and whatever else they were giving me. Baby & Daddy slept just fine!

At least this time around, I know to plan for the c-section. Unfortunately, I am more worried about my reaction to the epi than the actual surgery!

Proud Mom to
Brynlee Noelle 11/25/09 &
Tristan Joseph 1/10/04

September 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Maitri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I wanted to nurse right away but had trouble kicking the family out of the room to do so. Next time I will let them know in advance.
LOL I find that "I love you, now get out" works wonders.
September 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mylie12
well i never how to start my story so i'll start by the dates

may 28, 2006 i was at home living with my mom and i woke up with really bad back pain a lower pelvic pain my mom rubbed my back for a bit and it was helping a bit but not going away mom bought me to emerg at around 1 am they didn't put the monitor or anything first thing was asked of me was to pee in a cup the nurse came back about an hour after and said it was a uti here's a script go home and rest well i went home slept and just relaxed for the day.
may 29, 2006 late at night the pain was getting worse then the night before i waited awhile to say something cause i didn't want to sound like a baby but by midnight i was in pain so my mom again bought me to the hospital this time they put the monitor on me and i was indeed contracting the doctor came in big smiles and says it looks like we are having a baby i started crying and freaking out so he asked if i was scared and thats when i told him i was only 30 weeks pregnant he left the room in a hurry heard him tell a few nurses next thing you know i have a few nurses coming in asking me a bunch a questions putting an i.v in and one nurse said we gotta get the transport team the hospital where i live don't deliver under 35 weeks by the time the transport tean got there it 5am i was 4 cm dialated and i was put in the ambulance put in a plane and was to land in 5 hours in a city with a nicu two hours into the flight my water broke and i had a lot of pressure down there they did an emergency landing at an airport in a town 3 hours away from home and was then put in an helicopter and landed on the rooftop of the hospital i was put in a room checked and was at 8 cm then i was checked again in like 40 minutes and it was time to push after pushing for like 20 minutes hunter john was born may 30, 2006 at 10:15 pm he was breathing crying and was 5 pounds 18 inches at 30 weeks gestation i got to hold him while i delivered the placenta and at midnight i was able to feed him he did have some difficulty with breathing sucking and swallowing so they put in a feeding tube through his nose but they showed me how to feed him through that june 1 hunter stopped breathing they saved him and he was put on a ventillitor and was doing poorly the team of doctors at this hospital decedided to transfer him to the first hospital i was supposed to get transfered to since they have a better nicu hunter was transfered in the after noon i was not allowed to fly with him so i had to drice i got there at 6 pm the doctors sat down with me and it was concluded that hunter had some type of heart defect and they would know more tomorrow after some testing and he had meningetis because i was not tested for group b strep and was not giving antibiotics during labor as a precaution hunter stayed at that nicu for 20 days he was giving meds for the infection and his heart condition and he was doing very well well enough to be transfered back to the other nicu for level 2 care since he was no longer needing level 3 care this time they let me fly with him and we arrived at the other hospital june 24, 2006 in late afternnon june 26, 2006 after just feeding hunter he stop breathing again again he was put back on the vent and again transfred back to toronto well when i arrived there this time i was told right away that hunter had a more severe heart condition then they thought and that instead of possible surgery at 1 he needed surgery now so the next morning he scheduled for surgery hunter came out ok but during the surgery there was a lot of bleeding and he was put on a machine called ecmo and he seemed to be doing better so the next 5 days hunter seemed to be doing good and he was stable enough for the next step of surgery he went for the second part of the surgery on july 2, 2006 he did very poorly during the surgery and after he had loss a lot of blood and they had a hard time controlling his blood loss so he had 127 units of blood transfer and his stats where all over the place and my then end of the week his kidnews had shut down and now his liver function was being affected on july 7, 2006 the doctors and my family decided to take hunter off the ecmo machine and at 12:05 pm hunter passed away on july 12, 2006 on a very sunny day we had a funeral and released butterflies for hunter i waited three yrs to have another baby and this time around i see my doctors more often and have gotten more test done and so far everything looks good

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search