The arrival of Reagan Ann!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here's my birth story!!!

Reagan Ann
Due date: 10/2
Birth Day 9/24
7 lbs 10 ounces
20 inches long

Day of labor: Felt ok - completely normal - maybe even had a little more energy than normal. I had been having loose stools for about 2-3 days leading up to the day, however... and some menstrual like cramps.

Early labor: I was at home eating dinner at 7:00 pm when the fist contraction hit. It was pretty painful and I tried to walk it off. Around 7:20, I noticed that they were consistently 5 minutes apart, so decided to call DH at work and tell him to come home. Based on our childbirth class, he thought that it was either false labor or really really early labor and that he could take his time. The contractions at this point were not painful, just uncomfortable - which also threw him for a loop b/c he thought I would be screaming my head off. He decided to boil water for a pasta dinner!!! And pour me a glass of wine - somehow I just knew this was it. So I showered and gathered my things while he eat dinner.

Hospital: We finally checked in to the hospital at 9:45 - they checked me and I was 100% effaced about 4 cm, but they didn't want to admit me until they checked me in another hour. I decided to walk around the L&D unit for about 10 minutes until the contractions were getting stronger and I requested an epidural.

Active Labor: At 11:00 pm, they checked me and I was already 6 cm dilated! And in pain, so really wanting the epidural at this point. Not unbearable pain, but the contractions were definitely getting stronger. The nurse had to put in an IV and had a terrible time, so called another nurse to do it. Then I had to wait until the bag of fluid drained to about half before calling for the epi. When he finally came, I was in horrible pain and excited to be getting relief. They had me sit up and lean over a table - that position was SO uncomfortable and next thing I know, I feel my left leg shooting straight out and every nerve ending was tingling while I was having a contraction - so I was yelling at the top of my lungs - YOU'RE HITTING A NERVE!! Not sure if they guy was new or what, but I could hear him talking to himself while he was doing the epi - almost like he was talking himself through the process or something. He finally got it in and I waited for relief, but nothing! I was still feeling horrible contractions and proceeded to shiver and shake, along with throw up the red wine I had drank earlier in the night. The doctor came in and checked me again and said I was already 9 cm and that I was progressing to quickly for the epi to take effect. I was almost in tears by this point b/c I didn't really want to have a natural childbirth - I wanted to be comfortable and not screaming in pain.

Meanwhile, my nurse was running around the entire time trying to find me relief. She finally put something in my epi that worked and I could rest for about 20 minutes before pushing. At this point, I could feel absolutely NOTHING and was in heaven. It was about 1:30 am.

Pushing: By 2:00 am and after my rest, she said I was 10 cm and baby was at a +2 - so I could push. I was so numb and this was my first child, so I had absolutely no idea how to push or if I was doing it right. I just tried to pretend I was having a BM and push out my bottom, but I was numb I couldn't feel pressure or anything. She said that I was doing a good job and to keep it up. She called the doc in around 2:30 because the baby was crowning - another 6 pushes or so and she was out - the cord was wrapped around her neck, so doc quickly cut it and laid her on my chest. I was so numb I didn't even know she was out - I had to ask! They immediately laid her on my chest and she grabbed my finger....then DH went to the warmer with her. She had an score of 8-9 and seemed perfectly healthy!! I had a 2nd degree tear but doc said it wasn't too bad. She was born at 2:48 am.

All in all, it was a quick and early labor for my first LO. I can't believe I progressed so quickly! We love our little girl!!!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
October 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
That's a wonderful birth story - congrats on your little girl!
October 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM
~Constance~
~CONGRATULATIONS!!!Thanks for posting your story!~
October 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM
IamMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story Christine! You are lucky to have such a quick labor (any subsequent births should go at least that easy or even easier - mine did!) I'm glad you got something for the pain....wasn't it nice! Now....pictures please!

"Children too are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb, a reward."
Psalm 127:3

October 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
hoping4more
awesome story! glad all went so well. kind of sound sliek my first birthing experience. it took the nurses both like 4 tries befor ehaving the anathesiologist draw my blood so i could get meds. but they made me have 2 bags of fluid before getting the epi. anywho glad all finally worked out! congrats
October 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Snowpeas
What a great experience - especially with a first baby. Congratulations!
October 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Miles' Mommy's Avatar Happy 1st time mom
Send a message via AIM to Miles' Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Miles' Mommy
Wow Christine you really did progress fast. Sounds like everything went pretty well over all. Sorry the Epi didn't work out the way you had planned.

October 16th, 2009, 04:40 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats can't wait to see pictures

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search