Log In Sign Up

Peyton Gabrielle - 10/2/2009 - pics included

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2009, 02:11 PM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vicenza, Italy
Posts: 7,155
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Peyton Gabrielle
October 2, 2009
3:59am CET (Central European Time)

This is going to be REALLY long with some added back story since I think some of it contributed to the outcome.

It all started the morning of Oct. 1st. I had my 39wk1day appointment and dh & I decided that I would get my membranes stripped. Dh couldn’t make it so I had one of my best friends, Julie, come with me. This procedure in itself was very painful. I was warned by the midwife that I would be crampy for the rest of the day. I asked who was on call and she was on call for that day and then Dr. Terry (one of the 2 ob’s was on call Friday-Sunday). Luckily, the other ob wasn’t on the on-call schedule until way past my due date.

After my appointment Julie and I went to the Arts Center to play with clay. I tried making a bowl on the wheel but no luck so instead I made bigger initial letters for Peyton. We then went to get Xavier from school and eat. At this point I wasn’t even crampy so I figured the stripping wasn’t successful.

Fast forward to Xavier’s soccer game – his team was the last to play that evening and we didn’t get done until about 730p. We got home at about 8pm and that’s when I noticed that I was getting crampy. Dh went to bed early because he only had 2 hours of sleep the night before because of work. I put Xavier to bed after reading him his three new Big Brother books. He falls asleep surprising easily and I decide I should get some rest. Again, I feel the crampiness but it’s not really consistent or close together.

Around 10pm our house buzzer goes off. This buzzer could be several things so I woke dh and yelled to Derrick asking him if he accidentally pushed it. He said “No” so dh went downstairs to check. No one was outside so he came upstairs. About 3 minutes later Derrick RUNS upstairs and says that someone is tapping on the windows. Dh flies out of bed, asks for his knife that I keep on my side of the bed (we can’t have a firearm in Italy and gypsies, though not prevalent in our town, do exist. So dh goes downstairs only to find out it’s our landlord’s brother coming to check on the water heater which I called about earlier that day. Needless to say I wasn’t happy that he came by so late so I went back upstairs. I went to lie down and all of the sudden I realized that the “cramping” was becoming more pronounced and consistent. Dh finishes with the brother and I tell him what’s going on. I tell him to lie down and I’m going to go downstairs and time them. I also call Julie to give her the head’s up about possibly coming over to watch the boys.

I call Julie back at 11:30pm and tell her to please start heading this way. I also wake up dh, who at this point has only had 3 hours of sleep in 2 days because of work and now this. I iron his pink “birthday” shirt he picked out to wear when I go into labor. Julie arrived at about 12:15a on 10/2 and we head over to the birthing center.

The birthing center is really small (1 triage, 2 l&D/postpartum rooms and an overflow room w/ 2 beds). I am the only one there so they set me up in the triage room. They monitor me for 20 minutes and contractions are coming every 3-4 minutes but spike up to around 80 on the contraction monitor. The nurse tries to check me but my cervix is so far up that she has to get the other nurse who apparently has longer fingers and is able to “grab” it. She says I am 2cm and 80% effaced. They call the midwife and give her the report. The nurse then gives me 2 options – walk around for 2 hours then get checked or go home. I’m stunned…I tell her that I am known to have fast labors so going home isn’t an option since we live 20-30 minutes away. She tells me to walk for an hour and come back.

Dh and I decide to walk to the shoppette since it’s open 24hours. I’m still contracting and having to stop but they aren’t too bad. We get to the shoppette and I tell dh to go inside and I will continue to labor sitting down outside. He comes back out and offers me a Twix bar. Though it sounded REALLY good the idea of actually eating it made me sick to my stomach.

We walk to the track which is right outside the birthing center – how convenient. I have 30 minutes to go before I can go back inside (it’s 2:10am). I am stopping for each contraction and afterward I do a 10second squat. We counted 13 contractions in 30min – the last 5 I feel pressure in my bottom. We go to back to the birthing center at about 2:45am and get checked. I am now 3cm and still 80% effaced. The nurse goes to call the midwife to see what she wants me to do since “it’s not that much progress” – she walks out of the room and I look at dh and say with teary eyes “I’m not going to be getting the epidural”. He tries to reassure me but in my heart I know – I went from 3-10cm with the boys in about 45mins so I know the time is near. The nurse came back and tells me that the midwife wants me in the l&d room and to get on the birthing ball. I look at her like crazy and tell her I need some type of medication. She says that she will see what she can give me. Halfway down the hallway I have a HUGE contraction and I start to hyperventilate because they wouldn’t listen to me about my pain. They kept brushing me off. This brings back memories when I had Derrick NOONE would listen to me because I was “just a teenager” and I “didn’t know my body”. So I get to the l&d room and she tries to sit me on the ball. I sat and got right back up and into the bed. It’s about 3:20a by now and I ask her to please check me again. She checks me and I am still 3cms but 100% effaced. I tell her she needs to give me something – ANYTHING. She assures me that the anesthesiologist is on the way as well as the midwife and they get here pretty quick. They try to put an IV in my left hand without any success. Dh is a medic and all he says is “Would you like me to do it? I give her IV all the time” but they wouldn’t let him and FINALLY they get an iv in my right hand.

They check me again and I’m 4cm(it’s about 3:40am) At this point I’m out of control. Dh is trying to make me laugh DURING the contractions so I just tell him to “shut up” followed by “honey, I’m sorry, I love you but please don’t try to make me laugh during contractions”. I hold his hand and continue to tell them I want something – stadol, anything. Still they keep moseying along like they have time. I had a few contractions that I just stare at the ceiling tiles and concentrating breathing through them as I squeeze dh’s hand. He tells me I’m going to break his thumb and tries to offer me a wrist but I tell him it makes me feel better so he sucks up the pain.

I suddenly yell “She’s coming!” and there is only one nurse in the room. I shoot my legs down and squeeze them shut (like that would really work) telling them I need pain meds that a natural birth is NOT what I wanted since I’d done them twice before. I just didn’t want to too hurt and I wanted to enjoy the birth. Well, I again yell “Here she comes!” That still didn’t seem to do the trick in getting her attention until dh yells at the nurse to “LOOK” and points to the baby’s head coming out – he quickly turns his head to the wall as the nurse is yelling for the other nurse. I deliver Peyton’s head STILL in the water sac…after the 3rd push she comes SHOOTING out like a bullet, face down on the bed because the nurse was caught off guard. I’m glad that I was sittong high up on that bed and the bed wasn’t broken down, otherwise, she would have landed on the hard tile floor.

They immediately stick her on my belly and I can’t look at her – I’m seriously too scared to. I ask dh over and over (seriously about 5 times) “Is it a girl?” He finally gets his color back and with tears in his eyes says “Yes, it’s a girl”. I look down and she has a head of light brown hair. The nurses are commenting on how big she is but to me she looks little.

About 10 minutes after she is born the midwife walks in followed by the anesthesiologist. Needless to say I didn’t need pain meds anymore.

The midwife stitched me up (I only needed one) and then tells me if I decide to have another one the best thing to do would to get induced so I could have my epidural.

The nurse then has the nerve to say in front of the midwife “I wish you would have told us you had fast labors.” Dh replies “We told you that about 5 times when we first got here”.

Needless to say that this recovery was so much better then with Xavier’s, except for the fact that my pelvic & pubic bone still hurt and I’ve been told it could take months for them to stop.

So there it is…4-10cm in about 15minutes or so, no pain meds whatsoever...nowhere near what I wanted except for a beautiful Peyton Gabrielle

Dad's expression when Peyton decides to go #2...lol
Reply With Quote
October 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27,123
Wow Mama!! That's quite the story!! I'm glad it all ended well and you have your beautiful little girl!!

Reply With Quote
October 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,000
Whoa! that was quite a story! sorry you didnt get your meds! but your babygirl is beautifull!
Our lil Mystery baby

Reply With Quote
October 6th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,000
Whoa! that was quite a story! sorry you didnt get your meds! but your babygirl is beautifull! congrats mama!
Our lil Mystery baby

Reply With Quote
October 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Posts: n/a
she is so beautiful. i mglad everythi ngin the end went ok... however that nurse.. well you handles it better then i may have. i cant belive they were so rude.
Reply With Quote
October 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Posts: n/a
Yikes. I'm so sorry they didn't listen to you. Thank goodness your bed wasn't broken down yet!

She's absolutely beautiful - congratulations!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0