Danica Emilie's entrance!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here's my story:

Friday night DH and I decide to give DTD another try.
Afterwards, we sat down to watch a movie (JCVD for those who like details lol).
1 hour into the movie and I feel a significant sized leak, I stood up and down my leg it went. I went into the bathroom and when I sat down it gushed out into the toilet...there was no way this was pee!

I called the hospital at 9:45pm and the said to come in cause I'm Strep B+ and needed antiobiotics right away if it was my waters.
So, I tell DH and we start preparing things to get going. DH is so cute, he was shaking and running around the house, I think I had to tell him 5-6 times to calm down.

We get going (I'm about 45 minutes away from the hospital) and to make things more nerve wracking the bridge going on island towards the hospital was closed for construction, so we had to turn around to detour to another bridge.

We got to the hospital at 10:50pm and after verifying that it was amniotic fluid with the paper (it turned all blue..apparently that means it's amnio fluid) I got hooked up for IV antiobiotics and fluids. Cervix at this point is only 0.5 - 1cm dilated, a little disappointing.

We spent the night in triage, but they gave us a closed room that was not shared but was not a birthing room so it was a little more comfortable. I managed to sleep about 2 hours, DH got a little bit more.
The on call Dr comes in in the morning at about 10:45am and cervix is only 1-1.5cm, so she decides to start Prostaglandin.

Early that afternoon the contractions start to regulate and get more painful.
We stay in triage for a while longer (they won't give a room until you're about 4cm). We got our room at about 8pm Saturday night (I was just at 4cm then)
and at 8:30pm they started Pitocin to get me going a little quicker. Now the contractions are really getting intense. At about 11pm it's unbearable to me...I try the jet tub, but it only made the contractions worse for me. My cousin, who was with us for the birth, told the nurse to page the anesthesiologist
to get the epidural, but the nurse didn't speak english well (living in Quebec you get used to this) and also wanted me to keep trying other means at pain control...my cousin was sure that the nurse "misunderstood" what I wanted, so after DH was done admitting me he went to ask the nurse to page the Dr. and she says "Oh..she wants it now?!", so good call on my cousin to go and double check...else I would have been waiting a whole lot longer. I got the epidural at about 11:30-11:45pm-ish. Ahh.....so much better. It's a walking epidural so the pain does not disappear completely but was perfect relief to me, and I could still feel the pressure.

After this, things start to speed up. I increased from 7-9cm in less than 45 minutes and the nurse decides to call the doctor. At 3:30am I start pushing and things get a little hairy. After half-hour of pushing and not getting far enough along the obstetrician decides to use a technique I've never heard of, instead of increasing the Pitocin. One nurse got on her knees on the bed beside me, one nurse was holding one leg and DH was holding the other (all the while looking mostly at the wall behind my head...not the best with blood and stuff). At each contraction the nurse on the bed would use her forearm to push the baby down, and one arm to hold my shoulder up. It was definitely something else. But it worked...at 4:20am Danica Emilie was welcomed!

The doctor said my contractions were not long enough or strong enough and that's why I needed "help" to avoid using more drugs.

Right from birth they put her on my chest and did everything there (Apgar, cleaning...etc). Her Apgar score was 8 at 1 min and 9 at 5 mins. All the while I'm getting stitched. Grade II tear, in a straight line.

They then left, saying that a nurse would come in every 15 mins, but they like to leave you with 2 hours of skin-to-skin contact with the baby. I LOVE this policy. 1 hour after birth we breastfed for the first time...and she took it easy! Latched right away and fed for half an hour! I was thrilled.
The rest of the hospital stay was great. Since she was healthy and I had no problems we were able to leave 36 hours after the first time she ate, so at 5pm-ish Monday we we out!

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

October 10th, 2009, 02:08 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Congrats on your baby girl! She's is a doll!
October 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
GinaS.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! She is absolutely beautiful!
October 11th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a good story! I love that policy , im hoping i can get the baby to stay with me that long for the contact. With my ds after he was deliver i saw him briefly and then didnt see him for 2hrs , he never bf correctly. So i dont want to make that mistake again and will demand my baby to be with me after brith.

October 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Snowpeas
Congratulations! I've never heard of that procedure, but so glad it worked!

Yay for the hospital's policy - it makes bf'ing SO much easier.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search