Eli's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
noworries
After receiving the news on Thursday, August 27th that Eli had passed away in utero, we had a choice to make. Either wait and see if my body spontaneously went into labor on its own, or be induced. We decided on induction and went to the hospital Friday morning at 8am to get things started. I was induced with Cytotec starting at 10:00am. I had to take one pill vaginally and one orally every 4 hours until my body started regulating labor on its own. I ended up having to take the pills 4 times total (the last dose being at about 10pm) and then things happened fairly quickly from there. After the last dose of Cytotec, we decided to try to get some sleep but the contractions were starting to get pretty painful and I tried to deal with them on my own so Aaron could get some rest but after a short time I had to wake Aaron up so he could try to help me through the contractions. I had a pretty easy birth with my daughter without any pain meds and was hoping for a drug free birth this time around too but I think the emotional pain was too much for me to handle. Aaron went and got the nurse and she checked me, I was at 4cm. When I heard that, I felt somewhat defeated and I just couldn't imagine being able to deal with the contractions too much longer. I had no idea how much longer I had (I didn't need to get to 10cm but they had no idea how far I needed to get before he could be born....it could be 5cm, 6cm, 7cm, there was just no way to know for sure). I hated the idea of getting any drugs but after talking with the nurse and then taking a few minutes to think things over, I decided to get a dose of Stadol. This didn't help at all with the pain but it did really relax me. The pain was still overbearing so I told the nurse that I would like to get an epidural. She had just started prepping me for the epidural when I felt immense pressure and told the nurse, "Um, I feel a lot of pressure down there." She checked me and knew she probably wouldn't have time to get everything ready because it was going to go fast from here. She called the doctor who was sleeping in a room down the hall. I was trying my hardest not to push but the need to push was overwhelming. The doctor came in and as she was putting gloves on she told me "If you need to bear down, go ahead." So, I pushed with the next contraction and Eli was born at 12:50am on August 29, 2009. No one was ready for it because it happened so quickly and I remember just saying, "he's here". From the time I felt pressure to the time Eli was born was about 3 minutes. Then in the next 2 pushes, the placenta was born. They handed Eli to me and I whispered "hi" to him. I couldn't cradle him with my left arm because the IV hindered my movement and I was really annoyed by that. I as also still pretty out of it from the Stadol in my system and I regretted not being alert when he was born and not being able to really focus because of the drug that I elected to have. Aaron held Eli and then they took him and tried to clean him up and dressed him and wrapped him in a blanket. They brought him to our room and he stayed with us all night. He was so tiny and yet so perfect. He weighed 1lb, 10oz and was 11 3/4 inches long. He looked just like his grandpa and great-grandpa on his daddy's side of the family. We tried to rest for a while and then a photographer from Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep came at about 3:30am to take pictures for us. We then got a few hours of sleep. We were able to spend the day just holding Eli and saying our goodbyes. His big sister, both sets of grandparents and two of his aunts were able to come see him and take pictures with him.
October 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Blessingsfromabove's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
GOD BLESS YOU CARRIE! THANK YOU FOR SHARING ELI'S BIRTH STORY WITH US!

~Tina~
October 13th, 2009, 01:23 PM
MeganLaRue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MeganLaRue Send a message via Yahoo to MeganLaRue
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us...

Eli will always be a special part of our DDC...

Thanks vicki for my perfect siggie!!!
October 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
CaddyMom126's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for sharing that. Both you and Eli will always have a place in this group.
God Bless you and your family.

October 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much for posting this! I think about you and Eli and your family often.
October 13th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Thank you for sharing your story Carrie. I think about you and your family often.

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
October 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks Carrie for sharing your story. I think about your strength and courage often. You and Eli will always have a special place in my heart.
October 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
annmarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Carrie, that brings tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing his birth story with us. Like the others have already said, you and Eli will forever be a very special part of this DDC.

October 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are such an amazing person Carrie!! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.. Eli is such a special part of our DDC and he'll always hold a very special place in our hearts!! Thinking about you and praying for your family always!

October 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
latavia's Avatar Mom 2 a Prince & Princess
Thank you for sharing your birth story Carrie!!! Eli will always remain a part of the DDC and in our hearts!! He will never be forgotten!! GOD BLESS you and your family and I wish you guys the best ((HUGS))

Thanks Vicki for my wonderful siggy
October 14th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Momandlovinit's Avatar Veteran
Carrie,
Thank you so much for sharing Eli's birth story with us. I think everyone on this board will always have a special place in thier heart for the snow angels here. I think you are amazingly strong and a very special mommy. Your baby boy is perfect and adorable. (so is his big sister) Thanks for sharing his special day.

October 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I think of you and your family often!

October 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Sally5's Avatar Exhausted Mommy!
My heart goes out to you and your family. Eli was beautiful!!! Thank you so much for sharing your story!

~~~~~~
October 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
Thank you for sharing your birth story here. You are always in my T&P's we miss you here.
October 19th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Amazona's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from Jan DDC
I´m glad you were able to hold your little angel. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Thanks for sharing your story.

October 24th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing your story Carrie. You are a very strong woman.

October 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for sharing Eli's story with us.. I think of you and your family all the time.
Wife to Ray, Mama to 2 & Colin 12.17.09 & Brock 11.7.11 & cautiously expecting #3 10.20.2014

November 19th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I appreciate that you took time to write our Eli's birth story. I think of you and your family often.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search