Jaxon Cody-- Aug. 18 (@ 29 weeks)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2009, 11:58 AM
mlay83's Avatar Loving my boys!
First off, let me apologize for this taking so long to post. I guess I've had quite a few other things on my mind.

27 weeks-- It all started at my monthly doctor's visit on August 6. Blood pressure was elevated. I informed my doctor that I had seen spots and that my sister warned me that was a symptom she had when she developed HELLP syndrome. My doctor made some notes and asked me to come back in 1 week to re-check my blood pressure.

28 weeks-- One week later, August 13, blood pressure was still elevated. Doctor ordered bedrest-- no work for the remainder of my pregnancy (not good news being that my fiance' had just got laid off). My doctor sent me to L&D for a stress test and lab work. Baby looked great on the monitor. However, bad news came 1 day later. My liver function test results were elevated. My doctor called me and told me to go by L&D to re-test. I told my doctor of the horrible right upper quadrant pain I was having (had it a few times before but chalked it up to gas). She told me that's the location of my liver and told me to go straight to L&D to be admitted.

Once admitted, it was countless rounds of lab work and 24 hour urine tests. My liver functions were continually increasing and blood pressure was mildly elevated, however, my platelets were still normal (a drop in platelets is indicative of HELLP). We were hoping the root of all my pain and lab work was my gallbladder. I was sent for an ultrasound of the gallbladder which, of course, came back normal-- bad news. That's when my doctor started to prepare for the worst. I was given steriod injections to help Jax's lungs mature should I be forced to deliver. The next 2 days we just waited. Waited for some type of change-- good or bad. At this point, no one knew whether this was the beginning stages of HELLP syndrome or something else. A few doctors on call even thought I would be able to go home.

29 weeks-- Monday is when I really started to go down. My right upper quadrant pain was so intense that I had to ask for pain medication. I was in tears. My blood pressure was really spiking so I was started on magnesium sulfate to prevent seizures. My platelet count had started to drop-- still in normal range-- but definitely dropping. It was Monday that I knew for sure I had developed HELLP syndrome. HELLP stands for Hemolysis, Elevated Liver, Low platelet. The only cure-- delivery!

I was given an ultrasound to check Jax's position. Ultrasound measured Jax's weight at 2 pounds 6 oz. I needed more time-- at least a few weeks but, at that point, I was just hoping for a few more days. I felt so bad that I knew my lab work in the morning was going to be trouble. By this time, I was a human pin cushion-- between finger sticks for my diabetes, IV's, and lab work, I didn't have any good veins left.

Tuesday morning my lab work came back that my platelets had severely dropped. Earlier in the week, doctors had explained that should my platelets drop below 90K, that they would not give me an epi and that I would have to be knocked out under general anesthesia during a C-section. Tuesdays lab work had platelet count of 65K-- horrible news. So immediately I was prepped for surgery. My doctor arrived at 7 and I was taken back into surgery. The problem with general anesthesia is that no one, not even my fiance' Cody, could be in the room during delivery. Cody wouldn't be able to cut the cord or watch little Jaxon enter the world. I was bummed but completely scared. Jaxon was only 29 weeks and had always measured 1 week behind on ultrasounds.

Welcome Jaxon Cody-- August 18, 2009-- Jaxon Cody was born at 7:34 am weighing a tiny 2 lbs 4 oz and 14.5 inches long.

I awoke from surgery in the worst pain imaginable-- my doctor wasn't able to administer any pain medication during surgery until after Jax was delivered. I was given a morphine drip and, well, the entire first day was a blur. I wasn't able to see Jaxon until Day 2. My poor baby was so tiny. I was discharged on Friday (3 days later) but going home without out my baby was probably the hardest thing I've had to do. I cried the entire first 2 weeks of Jax's life-- I was just so worried about him.

Jaxon's NICU stay has been an emotional rollar coaster. 8 weeks later, Jaxon is an impressive 5 lbs. 3 oz. and still in the NICU. He's doing great-- off all oxygen, in an open crib, and we are just waiting for him to take all feeds by bottle. Having Jaxon has definitely changed my life-- I'm learning to focus on the positives, look at the big picture, and thank God each and every day for my baby boy.

Proud Parents:
Michelle and Cody

Last edited by mlay83; October 16th, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
October 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Goodness girl that brings me to tears! You did a great job keeping him in as long as you did and he is obviously a strong little boy with lots of angels watching over him!! thanks for sharing!!

October 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh Michelle, what a story! I can't begin to imagine what you have been through, but you've been so strong for Jaxon! I'm so happy he's doing so well. Thank you for sharing your story.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

October 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
What a tough road. I just can't imagine. But I'm so happy to hear that Jaxon is growing strong and doing well. Congratulations, mama!

October 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM
kksis611
Tears here too!! I'm so happy he's doing so well. He will be home soooo soon. I can't wait till he can be in his mama's arms always!!
October 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
AmandaR
What an amazing story! So happy little Jaxon is doing well and hoping you have him home with you soon!!
October 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
Thank you for sharing your story! it brought me to tears. You are so tough and so is your lil jaxon...I'm so happy to hear he's doing so well!!!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
October 17th, 2009, 10:10 PM
EOD_wife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for sharing your story! I am so happy you guys have had a positive outcome :-)
October 18th, 2009, 12:38 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I'm glad he is doing well
October 19th, 2009, 09:46 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Wow I can't imagine what going through that was like. I do know that it has made you a very strong person! i am so thrilled that Jaxon is doing so well. I thank the lord everyday that we get an update of how well he is doing.

October 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, what a story! Definitely brought me to tears. But I'm so happy to hear he's doing well, and I hope he can go home soon.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
October 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Thanks for sharing your story. Why did they have to use general anestesia to delivery Jaxon? Was it due to your low platelets?

October 20th, 2009, 07:37 AM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
This brought tears to my eyes - I am so happy Jax is doing well!

October 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing, I know that was probably hard to write down. I am so glad that you and Jaxon are doing so well, and I hope that he continues to progress well.
October 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
jmhick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a wonderful story. You are such a strong mama! Continue to hang in there, he'll be home soon!!! Lots of

October 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
you are such a strong woman to make it through all of that. i'm glad you and Jaxon are both doing well now!

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
congrats on your baby boy, sounds like a stressful time but I'm glad hes doing and growing well!

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

October 31st, 2009, 06:38 PM
~*Angela*~'s Avatar aka hack with a camera
Thanks for sharing Jaxon's amazing birth story-what a miracle baby! So glad he's doing well now!

**Thanks claire1979 for my awesome siggy!**

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search