Owen Joseph 10/15/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
Ok so bare with me because I'm writing this on two hours of sleep! So it all began on Tues 10/13 when I went to my 37 week check up. I figured I'd be in and out in 10 minutes...I ended up there for 2 hours. My BP was high which was unusual for me because my BP was always perfect. My OB sent me for an NST which I passed and baby's moment was fine. A few contractions were showing up as well. Then I was sent for bloodwork to test for toxemia. By that time the office was closed so they told me to come back the next day for a growth u/s and to recheck my bp and go over my bloodwork.

So I went back on Weds 10/14 and they did the u/s. Owen looked great and there were no worries if I was to be induced. Then they took my BP again and it was so high they couldn't believe I felt somewhat normal. Then my OB took me into a room and explained how dangerous high BP is and she wanted to prevent me from getting really ill and prevent it from hurting the baby...so induction it was! I freaked because I knew it was a possibility but I was always so convinced he was going to be late. So they gave me the number to L&D and told me to call at 6 to see when they want me to come in.

I waited impatiently for 3 hours and called them and they told me they wanted me to come in asap for another NST and more bloodwork. The OB on call was skeptical of inducing me since I was so early so she wanted more tests. So we get there and they put me on the monitors and did urine and more bloodwork. After waiting 4 LONG HOURS to hear what the results were....they finally told me there was protein in my urine and I have pre-eclampsia and was going to be induced tonight. I started shaking...I couldn't believe I was going to have my lil man in just a short while.

So they put me into a room and gave me something to eat then they inserted cervadil (sp?). This is when it gets interesting. They explained to me and my family that the cervadil only softens the cervix and WILL NOT put me into labor. They said they would leave it in for 12 hours then begin pitocin. They also told me that since I'm being induced so early it will take me 24-48 hours until I'm in full blown labor. They said they will probably have to turn the pitocin on and off a couple times as well. So a nurse came in and convinced me to get a morphine shot so I could get a good nights sleep...and I did! It was so wonderful! It was so great that I didn't realize all night I was in labor...and the nurses didn't realize I was in labor because they hooked up the monitors wrong...so it wasn't picking up all of my regular contractions!

I woke up at 8:30 on Thurs 10/15 and that's when the morphine must have been wearing off because I felt awful. I was having intense contractions with this nasty crampiness. I kept asking the nurse if I was in labor because I was in a lot of pain and she was like "Oh no hunny, this is just the beginning. You're having irregular contractions. You're not in labor." At this point I was basically in transition because I started sweating and feeling like I had to puke everyone. I begged the nurses to take the cervidil out and eventually they did. I was expecting to feel better but I felt worse. I began begging for some kind of pain relief and they kept telling me over and over again they couldn't give me anything until I was in labor and 4 cm dialated. It's funny because I was probably 8cm or so at that time.

I started becoming delirious the pain was so terrible. Everyone kept trying to talk to me and I couldn't say a word except for moaning! haha. My DH was starting to get upset because I was in so much pain so he asked if someone could please get my OB. My OB came in and looked at the monitor and was like "What's wrong?" I couldn't say anything so my DH told her that I needed something for the pain and nausea. So she gave me some phernagan (sp?) and asked if someone could check me because she was being paged for another delivery. A man nurse checked me and I remember him saying "Oh she's not even dialated at all and only 60% effaced" I started screaming "HOW CAN I NOT BE DIALATED! I WAS 2 CM THE OTHER DAY!!" and all he could say was "oh well..uh..well ..sometimes that happens. Induction takes awhile"

My DH then calls my mom and tells her that she better get here because I was in a lot of pain and kept asking for her. This was a little after 10am. I then started running back and forth to the toliet because I kept feeling like I had to take a poop because I was feeling so much pressure in my bottom. I told the nurse I was feeling lots of pressure and she was told me that it was normal and the baby’s head was probably making it’s way down there. When in fact I was actually pushing! I could of pushed Owen out in the toliet! At one point the nurse told my DH I needed to move back to the bed because the baby’s heart rate was dropping.

My DH got me off the toliet and moved me back to the bed. As soon as I sat on the bed I had a gush of blood, which was the “bloody show.” At that point my MIL was there and saw the gush of blood and how much pain I was in. She asked the nurse if my doctor checked me and the nurse told her I wasn’t even dilated. She started flipping out and was like “This girl is in labor get the doctor in here and have her checked NOW!” Two minutes later my OB comes in and finally decides to check me. She checks me and was like “Holy cow! Your fully dilated ..it’s time to push!”

She then explains to me that we were going to do some practice pushes. She tells me what to do even though I felt like I already knew what to do and all of sudden his head pops out! My OB starts yelling at me telling me to stop pushing. All of sudden there were like 20 or so nurses, doctors, whatever in the room all grabbing things and throwing things around. My OB was screaming for gloves while one of the residents was holding the baby’s head in. My OB then broke my water and with one push Baby Owen Joseph Phelps was out at 10:58am weighing 5lbs 14oz and 19 inches in length. They took him away as soon as DH cut his cord since he was in the “gray” area being born at 37 weeks. But he came out perfect! His apgar scores were both 9 and 9. I had 3 small tears that needed to be stitched up. Then finally I got to hold my baby boy and it was the most amazing feeling in the world. I immediately fell in love with him. Unfortunately because my mom figured I would be in labor for awhile she missed his birth Everytime I think about it makes me so upset because all I wanted was for her to see her grandson be born.

The nurses and residents kept telling me I was famous in the hospital they’ve never seen a first time mother being induced early go into labor and push a baby out so fast! Haha. It’s funny too because I was all about getting an epidural because I’m terrible with pain and all I talked about was getting an epidural and I ended up having an all natural child birth. So I surprised myself! I could have filed a complaint with the hospital, especially because I was strep B positive and since they didn’t check me enough and checked me wrong, I never received my antibiotics. It’s sad because the maternity center at that hospital has the greatest reputation and everyone I know who delivered there had nothing but good things to say about the place. But unfortunately my experience with them wasn’t the best. But Owen is very healthy and happy and that’s all I care about

I can't believe I'm putting this on here, I look awful but that was my first glance at him!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by Amanda_Marie; October 19th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
October 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Julie_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! What a crazy story! I'm so glad everything worked out fine and your beautiful baby boy is healthy. Isn't it crazy how nothing really goes as planned?

Oh and Congratulations!

October 20th, 2009, 08:26 AM
EOD_wife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing, but I would still file a complaint, maybe the next woman won't be so lucky :-(
October 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
ugh! i would have been so ticked at that hospital staff. With my first i was induced with cervidil, and i also went into labor on my own. 7 1/2 hours after they inserted the stuff i gave birth to my daughter Ashleigh.

October 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
What a story!!! Glad to hear all ended well and baby is doing great! Gotta love a happy ending!

October 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a crazy story, but I'm glad it all worked out and that Owen is fine, btw, I love that name.
October 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
He is so cute! Thanks for sharing your story.

October 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM
nicole09's Avatar Super Mommy
i cant believe that doctor checked you wrong. thats a little scary. thank God he didnt have to deliver your baby and you OB was able to be there.
congrats on baby Owen he is prescious

October 21st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
wow. glad you and baby are both doing well!

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
I'm so sorry you had such terrible hospital staff!!! But a beautiful baby boy, congrats!

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

October 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow that is an amazing story!! I would have done some serious screaming at everyone there. that is crazy. like a woman doesnt know her body and what shes feeling!! i dont care if its your first or 10th you can tell when something is up! i'm so glad that everything turned out good for you and baby owen though! he is adorable!

p.s. you dont look bad either!! pretty darn good for someone who had just been through all of that!

October 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a story! How in the world did that male nurse determine you weren't dilated at all when you obviously were much further along? He obviously has no idea where a cervix is located! Thanks for sharing your story.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
October 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
~*Angela*~'s Avatar aka hack with a camera
What a wild birth story! Congrats..he's precious!

**Thanks claire1979 for my awesome siggy!**
October 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_baby View Post
What a story! How in the world did that male nurse determine you weren't dilated at all when you obviously were much further along? He obviously has no idea where a cervix is located! Thanks for sharing your story.
haha! thats what I was wondering. I found out he was a "resident" aka an intern. He took awhile when he checked me so he was obviously pretty new at it. I remember when him and the doctor were stitching me up he looked at the doctor and was like "No wonder why I couldn't feel anything..she was fully dialated!" and my OB didn't say anything back ...

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
October 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
That is crazy that he "couldn't feel anything so he assumed you weren't dilated." Umm Hello. I am sorry you had to go thought that, but so HAPPY to hear that Owen is doing great!

Man what a story of labor!
October 28th, 2009, 06:31 AM
mercedes1987's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mercedes1987
Wow that is pretty fast for induction....... I had my son in 2006 in only 8 hrs ON his induction date but I was already dilated so they skipped the cervical nastiness, and went straight to breaking water, and giving pitocin, ect.

BTDT MOMMY.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search