Alexander Richard's Dramatic Arrival Story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Carly's Mama's Avatar formerly JackieGerhardt!
Send a message via AIM to Carly's Mama
I finally have a moment to myself and I am loving this free wifi! So here is the story of Xander's super dramatic arrival into the world!

As I posted, I had a really rough night Monday evening... at one point, I thought my water may have broken but I wasn't sure. I was up until 5am with random contractions, and by 8am I was very dizzy and light-headed and slurring. We went to L&D for my pre-admission interview, and I mentioned my symptoms right away. They immediately hooked me up to the monitors... no contractions, baby was great but my BP was 159/100. They did a pelvic and a swab, and it came back negative for amniotic fluid.

By this point (about an hour) I am shaking uncontrollably, seeing black spots and shooting stars, and mumbling and stumbling over my words. They do the BP - 167! It kinda waivered between the 150's and 160s for the next hour as they tried to get me calmed down, so they made the decision to hook me up to an IV and a magnesium sulfate drip. They were hemming and hawing over admitting me, keeping me the week for observation until my c/s or doing it that day. When they mentioned admitting me for the week, I burst into tears and my BP shot up to almost 170. Carl got into it with the OB on call and finally it was decided that a c/s that day was the way to go.

But because I ate two freaking bites of oatmeal that morning, they couldn't do the surgery until 4pm that day (this was at like noon). So we waited and waited... and towards the end, Xander started showing signs of distress too so they had me laying in all these different positions hoping to even things out but his heartrate was all over the place and my BP was fluctuating between the 150's and 170's despite the magnesium drip.

FINALLY 4pm comes... and no one is around. I found out later, that someone who had just delivered the night before, had all the signs of H1N1 and they had to quarantine her end of the wing so that was the hold up. They came and got me, and we went into the OR while Carl got his OR garb on.

We get in there, and the spinal commences. He tried 5 TIMES to get it in... that was by far the MOST painful thing I have ever experienced. He was digging into my back looking for the spot as I am leaning over the table, onto a nurse, crying and shaking. My BP was creeping up on 180 and he said "Screw it, I'm putting you under" which freaked me out even more. So they strapped me down and had me on oxygen as they prepared - then they drop the bombshell that Carl will not be allowed in the OR for the delivery, AS I'm going under.

Apparently I started crying and choked and clenched my jaw as I was going under, and the anestetiologist literally had to wrench my jaw open to intubate me... cutting my gums, tongue, lip and throat in the process.

About the only thing that went smoothly was the actually c/s - Xander was so far crammed into me that they had to use forceps and in the process cut a small gash in the side of his head - luckily he didn't need stitches, it was superficial.

So I'm all sewn up and in recovery... I come around and Carl is there and the nurse says "Did you tell her about his head" and I'm like OMG what is wrong with him and I'm crying and still really doped up but they explain it to me. My BP coming out of recovery was still 165 so they hook me back up to the magnesium for 12 hours, and I finally got to see my son at 9pm!

He is so beautiful... really, really banged up, scratched up and hairy, but so beautiful. It was seriously love at first sight... after going through all the crap with this pregnancy and then the delivery from hell, he is the best prize I could receive! I am also pretty messed up... my back is one big bruise, I have track marks on both arms because they were taking my blood every 6 hours when I was on the magnesium. My face is all broken out from a reaction to something (possibly the mag) and my whol body and face are very swollen because I've been on a constant IV for the last 2 days. And then there's the incision, of course!

He has been very very lethargic for the last day and a half because of the magnesium, and we've had a really hard time getting him to latch because all he wants to do is sleep, poor guy. His head looks good and is healing really fast, thank goodness! He is such a love bug and just loves to snuggle and rarely cries!

Carly doesn't really know what to make of him yet... she is fascinated but keeps her distance. My BP finally came back down to the 120's today but they are making me stay until Saturday morning. I got a nice mini tummy-tuck... they were able to do the bikini cut and they cut out my old incision and were able to use dissolvable staples with this c/s. This c/s has been a lot more painful because I wasn't able to have the spinal and have to rely on shots of demmerol in the butt and now darvocet in pill form, but I'm doing the best I can and I can't wait to come home!

Today we were also told that this hospital and other area hospitals are going on lockdown effective tomorrow - no one under 18 is allowed in the hospital as a visitor, period, per order of the Dept. of Health. Also the only visitors permitted are the parents and grandparents of those in the hospital. There are a couple of H1N1 outbreaks in the local schools and everyone is flipping out. My poor SIL can't even come see the baby, she's only 17! Carly got to come see him today but will be spending tomorrow and the weekend at my MIL's.

So that is my super dramatic brith story, thanks for reading if you made it this far!!!
Alexander Richard, born 10/21/09 via emergency c/s
8lbs, 7 3/4 oz
20.5"

October 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Courtney_79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Courtney_79
Your csection sounds a lot like mine with the whole magnesium drip. Hated every minute of that stuff Congrats on a healthy baby!
October 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
nicole09's Avatar Super Mommy
well its good that you had a healthy baby, but you poor thing. I dont know what I would do if my SO was not allowed in for the birth. Im glad you doing better now.

October 23rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a crazy day you had, but I am so glad that everything worked out and he is healthy.
October 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Julie_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You and Xander really got put through the wringer! It's a good thing there's a beautiful baby at the end of these crazy stories otherwise we'd all be out of our minds!

Congratulations on the birth of your little boy! Can't wait to see pics!

October 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
kksis611
Congrat's. I so happy you both came out ok!!! Sounds like quite an ordeal!!
October 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow! that is one crazy day and a dramatic entrance for alexander! goodness. though im glad it all turned out ok. Can't wait to see pics! Congrats again!

October 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
wow what a birth. I'm sorry it wasn't the greatest birth, but happy that in the end you had a healthy baby. How much did he weigh? Can't remember if you said or not.

October 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Talk about making a dramatic entrance! Glad you are both doing great.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

October 23rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
sorry you had to go through all that, but glad to hear you are both doing well now.

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a dramatic story! Sorry you had to go through all of that but I'm happy to hear you and baby are doing well.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
October 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
~*Angela*~'s Avatar aka hack with a camera
Wow-that was quite the experience! Glad you were both ok in the end, despite the bumps in the road!

**Thanks claire1979 for my awesome siggy!**
October 28th, 2009, 02:01 AM
EOD_wife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh gosh, I am so sorry!! I am glad you are doing better now though :-) Can't wait to see pictures!

October 28th, 2009, 05:54 AM
mercedes1987's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mercedes1987
sounds like a bad birthing experience however sounds like the lil one is super healthy and doing great! I bet you're glad it's over now though

BTDT MOMMY.

November 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow that was quite a dramatic arrival!! Glad to hear you and baby Alexander are doing well and hope you have a quick recovery!! Congrats on your precious little guy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search