Isabella Grace's Birth Story 10/21/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Stats:
October 21st, 2009 (EDD 11/2/09)
5:34pm
5 pounds, 14 ounces
20 inches

I decided I should preface her birth story with the weeks leading up to it. First thing was at 30 weeks, I started having contractions and had to go to L&D to get a terbutiline shot to stop them. Thankfully that worked and I wasn't admitted. Startinga bout 34 weeks I would have consistent contractions but nothing that would amount to anything. Dr. said it was prodomal labor. At my 37 week appt (dr. didn't check me at 36 weeks b/c I'm a first time mom) she wasn't even going to check me, since she usually waits until 38 weeks. I asked her to anyway. I was 3cm and 80% effaced! She was shocked, I was shocked. I started getting weekly bio-physicals starting 36 weeks to check her because I had gestational diabetes. At 37 weeks, I had low fluid, but I passed. barely. She told me to go home and put my feet up and drink plenty of water, as this should help bring my fluid level back up.

On Wednesday, October 21st, I went to my normal 38 week bio-physical appt followed with my weekly doctor's appt. During the ultrasound, the tech said the I had really low amnioic fluid and she didn't pass. She tried it 5 times to get a better reading and just couldn't. I was supposed to have an hour wait between appts but I met with my doctor immediately afterwards where she said she was not comfortable with letting me go another day for fear that the baby could roll on her cord and become stillborn. Morbid, I know, but it was not a risk any of us were willing to take. So, off to the hospital I went! I left the doctor's office crying because the reality that the child I have felt kick and move in my belly for 9 months was going to be here today!!

I was in complete shock and scared out of my mind. I was NOT prepared to have my baby that day! I called DH, my mom and sister to all leave work and meet me at the hospital. Thank god i happened to have my bags in my trunk from the triage visit the Friday previous! Oh, I forgot to mention I was 4cm dilated when I left the dr. office and she swept my membranes to help things get going.

I was admitted into L&D and was starting regular contractions on my own by 2:30pm. They wanted to start me on pitocin and break my water but since I was already feeling strong contractions I asked for my epidural first (thank god i did!) The epi was a breeze! I was petrified to get it beforehand but it really was worth it. It took away all the contractions in my belly but I could feel the pressure though (which I'm happy for so I could push better).

At 4pm, the resident dr. came in and broke my water where she said I was 6cm dilated. I literally had no water coming out. 45 minutes later the nurse decided to check me becuase I was feeling some pressure. I was 9cm, so she emptied my bladder which put me to fully dilated and ready to push!!

I remember saying "what?! It's only 5:00!!" expected to labor at least 8 hours!! So, I started pushing and after just 35 minutes of really hard and concentrated work, Isabella Grace was born at 5:34pm! She weighed 5lbs 14oz and 20 inches long. Her apgar scores were 9/9, perfect!!

I'm still in shock that, for my first baby, I labored 3 hours and pushed for 30 minutes. The dr. said I had a few small tears and just a few stitches. Recovery is going well and I'm working on breastfeeding/pumping with Bella.

Because of my gestational diabetes, they were checking both of our sugars the whole visit. She was given some formula affter birth because they were so low. But, other than that, we are both in the clear for diabetes

Last edited by Lyz; April 15th, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
October 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
chloe2005's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow! what a quick delivery...way to go Lyz!
October 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
great story! whoo hoo on the quick labor!!!! congrats on your baby girl!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
October 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow it was a fast labor! Congrats!!

October 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that is fast! Congrats! She looks great, I love the picture, you look great too.
October 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
awesome you had such a quick labor, sounds like everything went very smoothly for you. she's absolutely adorable!!

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, what a fast labor! Thanks for sharing your birth story. Congrats!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
October 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
~*Angela*~'s Avatar aka hack with a camera
That was an impressive first labor-I'm jealous! Congrats!

**Thanks claire1979 for my awesome siggy!**
October 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
excellent labor! and she is so tiny and cute!

October 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
She looks so precious.! So happy to hear all went well and you had a fast labor! Congratulations!
October 24th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Awesome that your labor was so fast. Thanks for sharing your birth story.

October 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sorry the starting part took you by surprise, but overall it sounds like a WONDERFUL birth experience! yay for fast labor!
November 4th, 2009, 04:21 PM
rosehip's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow our birthvstories have lots of similarities, but yours went crazy fast!! Great job, mama and congrats on "graduating" from gd!
November 5th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great delivery!! I hope mine goes as smoothly as yours CONGRATS on your beautiful baby Isabella!! She's precious!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search