Cathryn Grace's birth-10/29/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2009, 03:22 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Cathryn Grace
10/29/09
11:44am
8lbs 9oz 20"

The story:

Well not sure how much i actually remember, because i didn't even realize i was in labor for most of it.

The day before i felt fine, and actually commented that i didn't think she'd arrive until her due date (or past that). I went and picked up a couple things for her, and planned on getting the rest of the stuff that i needed this weekend!

Put the kids to bed at 9pm, and told Madisyn we'd work on her project after school. I went to bed at 9:30pm.

a little after 2 am, I woke up to pee. I looked at the clock and thought 'wow i skipped my midnight pee' LOL! I always wake up around midnight to go to the bathroom.

I felt a little crampy, but honestly just thought i had to poo. Sorry for all this info LOL! I tried going, but nothing happened so i just went back to bed.

Around 3:30am woke up again, peed still felt like i had to poop, but again no success. I fell back asleep until Ashleigh woke me up at 6am.

I did my usual morning routine: took a shower, brushed teeth, brushed hair, got dressed. I'm still feeling crampy. They don't feel anything like the contractions that i remember having with the girls. Just a light cramping feeling like AF is about to start or I have to poop.

About 6:45am i'm loading the dishwasher and i feel kind of damp down there, so i go to the bathroom to investigate. And discover blood. So i decide to call the midwife, since i wasn't sure what was going on.

Called the midwife and she asked what it looked like (bright red, like i was starting my period), if Ken and I had had sex recently (nope), If i thought it was my mucus plug (didn't look anything like the plug i lost with the other girls). I had an appointment that day at 9:30, so i wasn't sure if i should go to the hospital to get checked out or just wait it out until my appointment. Midwife decided since i'm 40 min from the hospital, to have me go to the hospital to get checked out.

I called ken and told him to come home that i needed to go to the hospital. Then i called my mom and told her what was going on. She decided to stay at our house and get the kids ready for school. Than if they decided to keep me she would pick up Ashleigh from school and they'd drive to the hospital.

I'd say around 7:10/7:15am i ate my breakfast (bowl of cereal). Ken got home shortly after that. He loaded our bags in the van (just incase) and we were on the road at 7:25am.

I'm not really sure what time we got to the hospital maybe around 7:55/8am. I was still feeling fine, and even the nurses didn't think i was in labor. But they hooked me up to the fetal monitor, gave me a heprin lock and did an internal check on me. I was 2cm/50% effaced at my last appointment 6 days prior. Well surprise i was now 5cm and 90% effaced. They told me i was there for good. They gave put us in a Labor & delivery room, and we called my mom and told her to get Ashleigh from school.

We also called Edith to let her know that i was going to have a baby. She was supposed to be there for the birth, but the one day she couldn't come was the 29th! She had to go to columbus that day. So she was pretty upset that she missed everything. But i tried to keep her updated.

About 9 or 9:30am the midwife came in and broke my water. I was 6-7cm at this point.

Ashleigh and my mom got there shortly after that. The pain still wasn't to bad. I was noticing contractions now, but I was only feeling them every 10 minutes or so. So i walked and walked and walked. While i walked i was listening to music on Ken's MP3 player, and making sure i kept hydrated by eating popsicles and drinking water. I did not want an IV (the heprin lock was bad enough).

Probably around 10am i was checked again and still 6-7cm! Darn! i was threatened with pitocin, if i hadn't changed by the next check. Ok i'm getting serious now, I do NOT want pitocin. I'm trying to have a natural childbirth here! So they suggested i do pelvic rocks to see if that helps me dilate. So that's what i did everytime i got a contraction. And i noticed they were starting to come closer together, like every 4-5 minutes now.

an hour later at 11am i was checked and woo hoo progress!! I was now 7-8cm. But man threatened again with pitocin. She said if i didn't deliver by noon they would start me on the lowest dose of pitocin. Ok kind of annoyed that my labor is being rushed because the midwife doesn't want to miss another day at the office (she missed the day before because of a delivery).

Contractions are now very painful and the only thing that gives me an inkling of relief is when Ken or my mom basically put all their weight on my back (i had back labor). Contractions are now coming every 2-3 minutes and i can feel her moving down. I hate feeling like i have to push and it's not time!

About 11:30/11:35 i have a contraction and a really strong urge to push, so i tell the nurse that i'm feeling a lot of pressure. She calls the midwife and it was determined that i should try to push, since i just had a small lip left.

I started pushing and it took a couple of contractions. They seemed to have slowed down now that i was actually pushing her out. They went from 2-3 min apart to probably 5 min between contractions. But then i felt her head crowning (yeah i remember that pain) and my mom telling me she had a lot of hair LOL! After her head was out her body followed shortly after. Time: 11:44am

She came out screaming! she was a mad little girl. Placenta was delivered about 5 minutes later. After they weighed her and wrapped her up for me, and i was checked for tears (none. Yay!) Everyone left so we could all be alone with her, they left us alone for about an hour.

She is a majorly sucky baby! She latched on right away following the birth, and if she isn't nursing off of me she's sucking on her fists or a pacifer.

Chris

October 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
~*Angela*~'s Avatar aka hack with a camera
What a great birth story! ((HUGS)) on the back labor-that's a pain you never forget! She's a beautiful girl!

**Thanks claire1979 for my awesome siggy!**
November 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on the safe and unexpected arrival of your LO. I hope it goes that smoothly for me. She is a cutie!
November 3rd, 2009, 11:55 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
aww, congratulations! Sounds like the birth went great, so happy you didn't have to have the nasty stuff.
November 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story! I'm glad you were able to achieve natural, hope I can pull off the same thing!
November 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your baby girl!!! And props to you for going all natural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search