Maximilian James 10/28 *warning, little traumatic/emotional at the end*

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
EOD_wife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Birth story
10/28 12:00am- started meso
8:36am- AROM (artificial rupture of membranes) 3cm
9:55am- Epidural
6:48pm- complete (10 cm)
7:00pm- started pushing
7:41pm- Birth of Maximilian James

Total hours of labor: about 19.5 (from start of meso)
I went in for my scheduled induction Tuesday evening after a grueling weekend of early labor contractions (irregular, phased contractions, dilation of 2 cm). My uric acid was now in the pre eclampic zone as of Sunday morning, a battle I had been fighting to win for about ten weeks. We decided with the Dr. on call that it was best to wait 2 days for my doctor, who was out of town, given all the medical problems I had encountered on this journey through pregnancy.
Tuesday midnight- We got to the hospital and all settled. I was still only 75% effaced and at 2cm. I had the first round of misoprostol (used to soften the cervix). At 4:30 she checked me again, not really progress. Onto another round.
Wednesday morning- Around 6 am, I started having more intense contractions. I was at 3cm, -2 station. By 9am, the contractions were super strong and getting closer together. At 9:30 I asked for the epidural. By the time I got it, my contrax were so strong and I only had a 20-30 second break in between each contraction. They were so intense that I couldn’t even sit still and it took 2 tries for the epi to get in right. Let me tell you that HURT!!! The needle was not fun, but it was such a relief. I was SO GLAD I choose to get it even though I was only a 3 ( I would have liked to wait until 5cm.) I got to take an hour and a half nap as well! After the epi, we started the pitocin on low (.5). I was dilating about 1 cm every hour. I then jumped from 5-8 in an hour! The rest went about the same as before, about 1 cm/hour. Pretty much from 8 on I felt intense pressure in my rear end, it was rather uncomfortable, but so much better than the pain of the prior contractions. I thought the epidural would make everything numb, but I still felt pressure, intense pressure all the way through the delivery.
Around 9 cm, we started noticing some deciles in the baby’s HR every time I got a contraction. From then on, I was on oxygen which seemed to help Max out inside. I got this incredible INTENSE pressure in my rear end so I knew I was close. I could feel the pressure in my lower pelvic area/bottom every time a contraction was coming on, so there wasn’t much “resting” going on, just waiting. I PRAISE all women who do this natural and am in absolute disbelief; I could never handle such a thing! Once I hit 10 cm about 30 min. later, it was time to start pushing. I began pushing at 7pm on the dot. After the 3rd contraction, my dr. knew something was not right. We had previously talked about “artificial” ways of helping (ie: forceps and/or vacuum) and we said no, we would rather do a c/s. So when she asked me about it again, I kinda knew something was up. We said absolutely no to forceps, but vacuum was ok. She said she would give me 3 contractions to push and if it didn’t work, then we would have to do a c/s. By then she had attached the monitor to Max’s head inside of me because the HR monitor on the outside showed decreased HR all the time; too low. At this time, we had about 7 nurses, the charge nurse, my dr. and a pediatrician in the room. I had been pushing the contractions while holding onto my legs, but once they got the vacuum, the charge nurse grabbed a towel and had me pulling on one end while she pulled on the other end. That HELPED a lot. On the 2nd contraction with the vacuum, I heard one of the nurses making arrangements for “OR 2”, so I just pushed like a mad woman. The rest of the “details” are a bit fuzzy, so here’s an overview:

Apparently, his umbilical cord was a bit long and being the acrobat that he is, he managed to get all tangled up. Not a big deal until he dropped into the birthing canal. We had been pushing for 40 minutes by the time my dr. made the call of a c- section because his heart rate just kept dropping with every contraction; every time I pushed. They were making the call for an emergency c/s when a nurse told me I "better push like he**". So I did, 5 huge pushes later his head was out...with the cord so tightly wrapped around his little neck twice that the dr. had to clamp it first just to cut it. He also had the cord wrapped around his chest. He was not breathing and was blue and gray. He was immediately bagged and put on oxygen. As the dr. put it, Max needed a "little jump start." To cut a long story short, Max was dubbed "superman" in the nursery. He did a complete 180 by MORNING!!!! His original apgar score was 2/9, and then finally went up to 8/9. He had a complete check over every 12 hours since then and was deemed a "normal newborn" by Friday. He got his open IV removed at midnight Thurs night and all monitors/tubes were removed. He was then rooming with us and didn't have to stay in the nursery anymore!! We even got to bring him home on Saturday!! Since the pushing was so urgent, I ended up tearing. The doctor didn’t have time to work on stretching me, and she had to cut the cord from around his neck immediately after his little head popped out.
Here are his stats:
Maximilian James
Born 10/28/2009 @ 7:41pm
6 lbs 11 oz, 20 1/4 inches (long & lean)
He has Jay's lips, feet and obviously his legs
He has my nose and ears (and a full head of hair!!)
His eyes look like they may be green or hazel. His hair is a dark sandy blond as of now, but looks like it will be all blond once his baby hair falls out.

He is such a perfect, beautiful baby. I still can't believe that he was growing inside of me!! It is absolutely pure love. We are not religious people, but both my husband and I have lost a parent; I truly believe we owe our little miracle to Grandma and Grandpa’s help from Heaven. They are Max’s guardian angels.
Ok, I think that’s it, now off to feed my little man. Thanks for anyone who made it all the way through our story and hope this helps anyone out who is lurking on another way the birth process can happen.

Last edited by EOD_wife; November 3rd, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
November 3rd, 2009, 12:11 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
He is so freaking adorable
November 3rd, 2009, 05:16 AM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
wow! thanks for sharing your story! That must have been scary hearing them talk about prepping an OR room...but it helped you get max out!

congrats he is adorable!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
November 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an intense story, I am glad everything turned out well and that Little Max is such a fighter. You've been through so much with this pregnancy, congrats on getting here and now having your LO safe and healthy. He is so precious, I love the picture where you and your DH are looking at him, I think the 5th one down.

Last edited by cynb; November 3rd, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
November 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks ladies! True this pregnancy was less than ideal, but we made it through and have this precious gift!
November 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow! thanks for sharing! Thats about how it was with my first! i was pushing like crazy and his heartrate was dropping with each contraction. He came out with the cord around his neck. Glad that you got him out when you did and that everything was ok. He is a superman! Congrats again!

November 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MReel11008 View Post
wow! thanks for sharing! Thats about how it was with my first! i was pushing like crazy and his heartrate was dropping with each contraction. He came out with the cord around his neck. Glad that you got him out when you did and that everything was ok. He is a superman! Congrats again!
it's so scary! I'm glad your little guy was fine too:-) No mom should have to go through that, but things always happen for a reason, right??
November 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for posting! That was a great story - scary at the end for sure, but it all worked out, thankfully. So glad you are both doing ok.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

November 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
So happy to hear that he is Superman! He is adorable and thank you for sharing your birth story.
November 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
jenni_48760's Avatar Prego with #3
Send a message via AIM to jenni_48760 Send a message via Yahoo to jenni_48760 Send a message via Skype™ to jenni_48760
OMG he's adorable!!!

Lurking from March DDC, but i have to ask, where did you get that blue cameoflauge blanket?? I LOVE it, and the crib set we got would match perfectly!
AND Joel Jr (3/4/10) Born at 8:37 am 5 lbs 8 oz 17 3/4 inches
November 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni_48760 View Post
OMG he's adorable!!!

Lurking from March DDC, but i have to ask, where did you get that blue cameoflauge blanket?? I LOVE it, and the crib set we got would match perfectly!
Thank you:-) Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. I believe we got the blanket at Target and let me tell you, my little guy LOVES it!!
November 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM
~*Angela*~'s Avatar aka hack with a camera
Congrats and thanks for sharing your birth story-scary, but with a perfect ending! He's gorgeous!

**Thanks claire1979 for my awesome siggy!**
November 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, thanks for sharing your story. Scary but such a wonderful ending. He's absolutely adorable. Congrats!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
November 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
jackkey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story!!! He is so cute!!! I am so glad everything is ok.

Thank you Babydoll 213 for the great siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search