Juni's birth story -- vag delivery w/prolapsed cord (pics added 12/1)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
rosehip's Avatar Super Mommy

I only have a moment before the little one wants another feeding, so I'm just copying and pasting what I wrote in my livejournal. Forgive the awkward cut in the middle and explanations of all the procedures! Most of my LJ readers are friends who are still single and young.

JUNI'S BIRTH STORY PART 1:

Juni is here, home, and safe in our arms. He's is adorable and just about the most peaceful newborn I'd ever seen! But there's still time for him to turn that around, right?

I'm doing well and healing well. Things are a bit messy down there, but for the most part I'm healing a lot faster than I expected I would. I've been really eager to jot down my birth experience because the details are already getting fuzzy. I guess this is what moms mean when they say they forget the pain of childbirth...

It started on the night after the full moon, November 3rd. I woke up to a "pop" and knew that meant my water broke. This was at 2:15am. There was no mess or anything, and I thought "what a pleasant start to labor!". Water breaking means go to the hospital ASAP. So we finished packing our bags and headed out.

We got there, and walked into maternity. They set me up to a machine that measured my contractions, and a monitor that measured Juni's heartbeat. Hearing his heartbeat throughout the rest of the labor was very encouraging, and was like the drumbeat to the finish line.

When I got in, apparently I was already 4cm dilated and 90% effaced with a really "stretchy cervix". The nurse was pleased and everything seemed to be going smoothly. Contractions still didn't hurt at all. We moved to the official labor and delivery room -- a pleasant place that looks like a hotel room. This is where I'd spend the next several hours laboring away.

My plan was to take it step by step because I was really curious what labor felt like. It's different for every mom, but for me it felt like my hips were slowly widening and that's it. Which was painful enough... by the time I reached 6cm I was ready for medication since my OB wanted to start a little pitocin. All this time, my labor has been very irregular. In fact, I didn't get regular contractions at 5 min intervals until I was almost ready to deliver! So I figured, if they're going to give me pitocin I might as well get the epidural and relax since pitocin is known to cause uncommonly painful contractions.

The ansthesioligist came in and gave me the epidural, which aside from a minor pinch didn't hurt at all. My timing couldn't have been better because right then I went from 6-8 in an hour. This is known as transition, and is often called the most painful part of labor. PHEW. Dodged a bullet, I thought! Juni is such a good baby, I thought! Then, things started getting messy...

As they started the pitocin with the tiniest dose possible, contractions finally started leveling out. With every contraction, though, they noticed that Juni's heartbeat would dip. At first, they said it was normal as long as the heartbeat went back up. Okay, I thought. Then they checked me again and see my progress. I couldn't feel any pressure, and they kept asking me if I felt pressure. No, I didn't, the epidural was just too good! When they checked me, I was at 9cm and almost ready to push! Juni had started to descend into the birth canal, and with every contraction that pushed him down, his heartbeat dropped... dropped... dropped. So they stopped the pitocin and desperately tried to get my OB who was busy with a surgery. Apparently the hospital was PACKED with moms because of the full moon! The nurses decided to try and have me push to see if I could get him going. I tried several different positions that were possible with an epidural -- left side, right side, basically tossing back and forth. Nothing was working and again every time I pushed his heartbeat would drop dangerously low. It was terrifying to hear that heartbeat slow down and wait with baited breath, hoping it'd go back up. I was beginning to seriously worry he might not make it.

OB gave the message to get me on my hands and knees despite the epidural, and this is when things got hectic. I did as she recommended while she made her way to my room. They unhooked me from a bunch of stuff so I could sway my hips on my hands and knees. The nurses were AWESOME coaches and told me how to adjust my body to get him to descend more, it was like a dance and actually was exactly one of the same moves in my yoga dvd! It worked pretty well, and I could start to feel the pressure they were talking about. I could feel his head coming down!

They had me go on my back againi and try to push, but it was so hard because I couldn't feel it again. So back on my hands and knees it went...

OB finally arrived and she watched what Juni's heartrate was doing. After a period of getting better, it suddenly got TERRIBLY worse!! To the point where it just wouldn't go up at all! OB decided to hurry and go into emergency C-section. DH was by my side the whole time, telling me that it's ok and I did everything I could and we just want Juni here safe. I was ok with the idea of a section, too. At that point, all I cared about was my baby surviving. I couldn't imagine a stillbirth, I didn't want to. I signed the papers okaying the csection.

When another woman's scheduled c section was cleared from the OR (she was going to have twins but had to wait for my little emergency, I felt kinda bad about that), the nurses unhooked me from everything, including the epidural. I could start to feel sensation again down there, and the pressure was INTENSE. OB checked me one last time and lo and behold -- his head was RIGHT THERE. He wasn't crowning, but with a couple more pushes, I could possibly maybe deliver him vaginally, but we had to be fast and it would be a real risk. OB wanted to take that risk, she was confident she could do it, but we'd do it in the OR with the idea that we'd be going into c-section. The vag delivery attempt would be a last minute effort, just to see if it'd work, but the csection was still the plan.

I got on a gurney and tried to keep myself calm, tried to breath through any pain and panic. There was a lot of madness, nurses scrambling, my OB shouting orders, other doctors watching me wheel by with interest while DH left to dress in scrubs. I knew I had my work cut out for me...

We got to the OR and I saw the anesthesiologist again. They put me under the operating lamps and in stirrups. The anesthesiologist started to hook up the epidural againi and max out my dosage in preparation for the emergency c-section. Trouble was, epidurals don't kick in for 20 minutes at least. This is when I started to lose it and sob uncontrollably. For some reason, hearing his heartbeating incredibly slowly, I had the disturbing feeling that if I didn't push him out NOW, he would die. That would be it. He wasn't going to survive.

It was time to push. I realized I could feel EVERYTHING. I realized I was essentially going to give birth without pain medication!!!!! But I thought good -- now I can feel everything and have control.

BRB... Juni is crying for food. >_<

---PART 2----

Okay, he is sleeping peacefully now.

So it was time to push, and this is when it got really surreal for me. All I could see was the OR lights, because I had my eyes clenched shut the entire time. I could only hear voices, DH's was right next to me. A bunch of nurses were hovering over me, coaching me: "Breath in really fast and hold it, and PUSH! 1! 2! 3!" etc. up to 10! I never really thought pushing could be so hard! "Push like you're going to do a bowel movement!" said someone. "Push like you're MAD!" said someone else. Well, I could do that! So I went from panicked sobbing mess to pissed off screaming lady haha I never thought I'd do something like that, but I guess feelings just take over in that situation. I kept shouting "I feel like I'm going to faint!!" my OB couldn't understand a word I was saying and was wondering why I was making so much noise. Apparently according to DH she gave the anesthesiologist a "Hello, where's the pain medication!?" look hehe...

Anyway, she was doing her best, but I was secretly grateful not to have the meds. I started to remember all the birth stories I've been reading over the past few months, and knew there was a good reason I did it! Just in such an emergency! So I started to remember how the other women described it... I felt his head go lower, and the pain was so much I can't even explain it. It was like a force of nature and I felt like I was wrestling with some kind of Spirit! I just remember yelling out DH and Juni's name. Kazu was silent for a moment and I had to yell at him to keep talking, I had to hear his voice amongst all the strangers, he was my only security. It was torture.

Another push, and I felt the so-called "ring of fire". I knew he was crowning! My OB got super excited, and so did all the nurses. "You're doing it!!!" DH said, "I see his head you're doing it!" I felt some kind of cut down there (this was an episiotomy) and my OB asking me to wait a second. "One more pu--" But too late, I was already pushing haha I shouted out Juni's name and gave it my all! Out popped his head and I instantly felt a wave of relief. Everyone was cheering and DH said "His head is out! He's safe! He's so cute, Amy, I'm so proud of you!" and that really made me feel good. I was still dizzy with pain but whatever, I guess when you're in that much hurt and have that many hormones running through you, the pain doesn't really seem like much but a means to an end.

Next came his body, which I won't lie also hurt like a ***** and then a few seconds later I heard his cry for the first time. I could finally relax! My OB told me to reach down and touch him so I did. He had a weird welt on his head, and I realized she used a vaccuum to get him out ASAP. She explained that it was a prolapsed cord, and that the umbilical cord was abnormally thin. DH later told me it was all twisted up like a telephone cord! It was tucked in the birth canal next to his cheek, So every time my birth canal squeezed him down, it was cutting off his air. So on top of having a ****** placenta giving me gestational diabetes, I had a ****** umbilical cord all this time too. I felt really terrible and sorry for the little man inside, and was so grateful he was out where I could take better care of him. OB weighed him and said he was 4lbs 15oz!!! UGH! My heart was breaking and I felt terrible. I started to relax again and tears were just flowing out of my eyes.

Then OB came back and said it was time to deliver the placenta. A minor emergency came up again because there was too much clotting as the placenta was coming out, and it could cause internal hemorraging. So what did my OB do? She reached INSIDE and MANUALLY removed my plancenta!!! UGH would the torture ever end?! That was the weirdest and ugliest feeling ever! I kept thinking of that scene in Braveheart where William Wallace was being disemboweled!

Once the ****** placenta was out, it was FINALLY FINALLY over. The epi meds finally kicked in, and it would be another 8 hrs or so until I could walk again because they gave me such a huge dose with the idea of doing a csection. As my OB wrapped things up (getting stitched up from the episiotomy smarted, too), she said "Well that was a lot more fun than I was comfortable with but you did! Great job, pushing! he was out in two pushes and you're not too swollen so I expect your recovery time to be good!"

And she was right. All in all, I feel pretty much back to my old self four days later. I will update again with stuff that happened afterwards and what Juni is like, but that's the basic gist of the birth experience. Apparently it only gets that crazy maybe three times a year, and all the nurses and other surgeons were excited about it all morning. There was a total of 13 people in the OR all at the same time. SHEESH.

Last edited by rosehip; December 1st, 2009 at 02:24 AM. Reason: added a couple pics
November 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The situation sounded dicey - Im so glad he made a safe entrance into the world.

November 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad Juni made a safe entrance into the world.

November 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
whew! Sounds crazy! I'm so glad everything turned out well and Juni is doing good. Congrats, mama
November 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
So glad the out come was a wonderful arrival of your little one. You are one strong women!
November 7th, 2009, 11:58 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
girl you are one strong brave woman! So happy that everything turned out well for you and the baby though!

November 8th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How very scary! Congrats to you for maintaining your calm and getting the job done. The manual placental extraction is one of my worst fears.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

November 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM
rosehip's Avatar Super Mommy
Scariest and most awesome adventure of my life, for sure! It is so worth it though, I love the little guy more and more each day and can already tell that watching him grow is going to be sooo much fun!
November 9th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
oh wow, scary. glad he is here safe and you are both doing well.

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
November 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww your story brought tears to my eyes!!! I'm so happy you were able to deliver vaginally and that little Juni was healthy and is doing great! You are a very tough woman for feeling all that pain!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search