Leighton Kenley-Capri's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2009, 08:01 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
On Wednesday morning (11.11) I got up feeling pretty exhausted as I had not slept but a few hours in the last three nights. A few hours later I got a big burst of energy and insisted that the house needed cleaning up. So, I cleaned the living room and swept and wore myself out. I decided to rest for awhile and was sitting in the chair watching tv. I felt a small gush, but didn't say anything to DH because I figured I just peed my pants. I went and changed my underwear and came back out and sat down. About 5 minutes later I had another small gush, but this time mentioned to DH and my cousin that I thought maybe my water had broken. Changed my underwear again. Well 20 minutes and 5 pairs of underwear later I decided it was definitely my water as the gushes were getting bigger. I was also out of clean underwear, so it was probably time to go to the hospital. This was @ 3:00pm.
Took shower, put on make-up, and loaded car. DH ran to wal-mart to get new earphones for his mp3 player.
Then, we headed to my parents house to get maternity pictures taken (we kept putting it off). By the time we got to the hospital it was 5:00pm.
I was having some contractions, but they weren't very strong and not exactly organized (pretty much like they had been for 2 weeks).
By 6:00pm I decided to let them give me Pitocin because I was still 3cm (had been for 2 weeks), but made them promise to let me get pain meds asap because I didn't want to labor with Pitocin for very long without relief.
9pm - got Nubane, but it didn't work as it had with DD. It didn't really help at all.
10:00- got an epidural and I immediately sensed that it wasn't right. It felt like all of the numbing medicine went into my left side. The epi didn't make me numb at all (it did with my first) it just made my legs tingle. As I suspected, the right side took a little better than my left.

12:45am- I was checked and was at 6cm. I was pretty frustrated because I hadn't progressed more and figured it would be early-mid morning before I was ready to push. At this point I was asking the nurse to call the Anesthesiologist to up my epi because I was pretty uncomfortable. She kept putting me off and I was getting pretty frustrated.

1:55am- I was in extreme pain. It felt like my contractions were right on top of one another and I told my mom to get the nurse and tell her I needed more meds NOW. She insisted on checking me before calling and it's a good thing (although I was mad at the time). She looked up at me and said Uhhh, we need to call the doctor, you are 10cm and I can feel her head! I immediately started crying because I knew I was now going to have to push with complete feeling which is what I ended up doing with DD #1 for 1 1/2. They told me to try not to push until my Dr. made it there. He arrived at 2:05am and we immediately started pushing.
8 minutes and 10 pushes later Leighton Kenley-Capri entered the world. She weighed 8lbs. 2oz. and was 20 1/2 inches.
I have a 3rd degree tear, and my Hemoglobin was low for awhile, but other than that we've been doing great.
This is my first time trying breastfeeding and it has been difficult because I've been experiencing excruciating pain when she nurses. So, today (4 day pp) I started pumping and giving it to her in a bottle. I know it's not ideal to do the bottle thing, but I really don't know if I want to go back to her nursing from the breast anyways. As long as she's getting breastmilk at this point, I'm happy with that....
Anyways, here are a couple of pictures, I'll add more later, as I get them loaded. We've taken over 500 already, so I'm trying to sort through them hehe!

5 hours old:

3 days old:

In a FCB size 0:

In her first pair of knit longies:

Last edited by *Leslie*; November 16th, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
November 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww!! she is beautiful Leslie!! Congrats! Sorry that the epi didnt go as planned. Thats how it was for me when my water broke. lol I kept thinking no its not that!

November 17th, 2009, 12:07 AM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
She is so precious! Congrats!
November 17th, 2009, 06:23 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
She is so cute!! i want a pair of longies for Catie. And i love the diaper with the sheep. We're boring over here LOL! we just use prefolds and PUL or fleece covers.

November 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She's so beautiful! I'm glad everyone is doing well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search