Hello Gavin! (LONG)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
farrah_jo's Avatar Veteran
I went to my Dr appt on Monday, just about 36 hrs after being released from L&D. I knew my BP was still up, I was still swollen , & my headache was still there so I thought this might be it. I made sure to pack all the bags , the birthball, pillows ect. My husband had gone to work 3 hrs away and my kids were all in school.

I did my NST then was put in a room to wait for the DR. My BP was 168/102. My dr. came in and checked me right away and said I was 2-3, 50% effaced, and his head was low. He said we aren't going to take any more chances, "lets get you delivered". He said that Gavin was just about 6lbs and since he was 36 wks he should be fine as far as respiratory issues go. He said he wanted to start me on Pitocin, the get me an epidural and break my water. I told him that I REALLY did not want an epidural. It scares me bad and I never had one with my other 3 deliveries. My whole plan was to be up and mobile. I wanted to be in the shower and use the birtball and slow dance with my hubby. He said that he was really pushing for the epidural because it would also help with keeping my BP down by controlling the amount of pain I was in. I told him I understand what you are telling me but I really don't think I can do that. He said okay we will see how things go and sent me over to L&D. I was sooo excited but also very scared. I have never been induced before and with the pre-e issues I didn't know what to expect.

I happily called my Hubby and said you better start on your way. I called my mom & she headed over . Called my sis and she was in charge of gathering my troops.I couldn't believe I was going to have my little guy later that day. Little did I know that Inductions SUCK!!!! It would be my longest and hardest labor of all 4.

I checked in to L&D around 10am got in my gown, had a quick private heart to heart with my unborn son and told him that it was going to be okay. We would get through this together, There were so many people that couldn't wait to meet him and that he was in good hands. After that I was ready. My mother showed up within 30 min and then we waited. I took them about 1.5hrs to come & do the IV. Did I mention I hate being poked by needles? It took 4 sticks to finally get the IV & they were limited on choices since I just spent 30 hrs in the hospital being poked a couple of days earlier. They started me on Mag for my BP and informed me that the lights had to be kept dim in the room & I could only have 2 visitors at a time because of my BP. Then they told me I was to stay in bed except to use the restroom because of the risk of siesures from my BP. That was pretty upsetting. First of all I needed to be up & moving during labor so that I could cope. So no shower or birthball. Second of all 2 visitors just won't work. My husband, mom, sister and 3 kids were gonna be there, how was this gonna work?

About an hour later they started my pitocin.This whole time my sister is texting me like a mad woman trying to get info. I told her that this was slow going so just let all the kids finish school and head down later.(They were about an hour drive from the hospital). My contractions started to get in a pattern and I thought "oh, I can do this". I'm gonna say it was about 2:30pm when contractions were regular and my labor started. My husband showed up right about then. I was so happy to see him! An hour later they checked me I was still at 3 & my Dr broke my water. Clear fluid hurray!

Contractions were about 4 min apart and I was managing them. Aroud 5pm my sis showed up with my kids and my niece. everyone piled into my room and It was great to have them all there. I was able to breath through the contractions and not scare my kids. I called for pain meds, which I was allowed to get 1 an hour up to 6 times. It was really helping at first. When the nurse came in we shoved my 2 girls & niece into the bathroom to hide so there wasn't so many visitors in the room, boy did that back fire! Right as my nurse was leaving the room, she opened the door and there were 4 other nurses running to my room. They said that the emergency cord had been pulled, we couldn't figure out why. It seems that my youngest daughter (shes 10) was leaning against the wall in the bathroom and accidently pulled it. So they open the door and there she was and the 2 older girls were standing in the shower, BUSTED! It was pretty funny, I was laughing, she was crying. After that we decided there was to much going on in the room and the pain was getting pretty bed so my mom took all the kids to a hotel. My hubby & sis would stay with me and when it got closser her & the 10 yr old would come back for the delivery. The teenagers already decided that they did not want to see the birth.

When they left, the nurses were trying to get me to have a catheder put in. I really didn't want this so I refussed it but about an hour later I said okay. Big mistake! every time I had a contraction it was killing me! I noticed that I wasn't able to keep control. I hurt almost worse then the labor.I had it in for about an hour & made them take it out, what a relief!! We had been watching TV, listening to music, trying to focus, but by now the contractions were 2 min apart and I couldn't stay on top of them. I was begging for pain meds every 45 min. They would check me and I had not changed. I stayed at 3 cm for 6 hrs. I cryed! I didn't know what was going on. This was my 4th baby and my labors were 4.5. 5.5, and the last one was 3.5 hrs. How could this be? Welcome to the world of induction. The nurses were all really pushing the epidural on me and my sister was pushing against it. It was thanks to her that I kept putting it off. She knew I really didn't want it. after about 7 hrs I was at 6cm. I felt like I was not gonna make it. I was yelling and talking to god. Asking him to help me through this. The painmeds were not coming fast enough. My poor hubby & sister did a great job putting up with me. I got very snappy and yes did the classic cuss out your hubby. Sorry, I couldn't help it. The F bombs were flying.

It got to a point that I was vomiting and couldn't take it any more, and my husband really wanted me to get the epidural too. So I gave in, the first time in 4 labors. I was @ 7cm. I was crying and sooo scared when the anestesiologist came in. I'm not gonna lie, it hurt. I was still contracting every 2 min and I almost couldn't sit still I was yelling because of the contractions. Everyone kept saying, don't move, don't move. I don't know how I got through that. After about 10 min the contraction pains eased up, but I think I waited to long to get it because I was still in sooo much pain from the pressure. They put the catheder back in. I had my nurse check me 2 times in 45 mins cuz with every contraction the pressure was unbearable. But atleast I was no longer cursing my loved ones. My sister had called for my mom and daughter right before the epidural. I told the nurse it felt like my body was pushing during contractions, when the nurse checked me again I was fully. She took out the catheder again and called the dr. She asked him if he wanted her to have me start pushing to see how it goes or come over right now. He said have me do some pushing.

So my bed was not broken down & nothing was ready. She told me to go ahead and push. I had my hubby on 1 side, mom on the other, my daughter was in the corner up by my head and my sis was taking pictures. I put my chin to my chest and pushed. I knew that I didn't push with everything I had because I was tired. She said he barely moved down. Next contraction she said try again, so I pushed really hard and I could feel him moving down and it was burning. Mid push she said STOP, STOP pushing. I said I'm trying I could not control anything, I was screaming from the pain and I was shocked that I could not control my body. All the sudden there was panic.

The nurse tryed to find the emergency cord but was freaking out so she couldn't. Then she picked up the phone called for help. She said Get in here NOW! When she hung up the phone it fell over onto the floor. All of this while trying to keep one hand down between my legs. I remeber yelling and thinking I can't stop, I can't stop. Another nurse ran in, I heard them say his head is out go ahead and push. My sister flew open the door ran out yelling he is coming out. Before the dr and other nurses made it in he came flying out onto the the bed. The nurse stoped him from going of the bed and my husband grabed him by the leg, it was crazy! It only took 1 and a half pushes and he was here. I was asking if he was okay and then he let out a cry. I was so happy. I kept saying thats my baby!! I kissed my husband and looked at my 10 yr old daughter who was also crying. I was soo happy. A minute later my dr walked in and saw my son laying on the bed and said "wow". My husband cut the cord. Then a nurse took him to the warmer. My dr stiched me up. I tore because he came out so quick. I couldn't believe it was finally over and he was here. 10.5 hrs, thats a long labor for me.

The only thing that bothered me was that the nurse was meassuring him and taking her sweet @#* time about it. I kept asking for my baby. It took her 22 min to hand him over to me. But when I finally got to hold Gavin in my arms It was magic. I was so in love, he was perfect!!!

So it was more like a book then a quick story. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Gavin Quinn
11-10-09
2:29am
7 lbs
20.5 inches

Last edited by farrah_jo; November 21st, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
November 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Super Mommy
CONGRATS Farrah and baby Gavin!!! Sorry to hear your labor was so rough, but in the end it's all worth it!!!

Can't wait to see pictures!
and Daniel since 12/29/09

November 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM
foxfire_ga79
I'm sorry your labor didn't turn out as hoped. But I'm glad all is well now and little Gavin is here! Did you mention how big he is, I can't seem to find it.
How do you feel? Is your BP Ok now?
November 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
farrah_jo's Avatar Veteran
Sorry i updated it with his stats. He was 7lbs 20.5 in. I feel much better now. Still on meds trying to get my BP under control. Dr says bedrest still. I'm trying to take it easy. hopfully it will be back to normal soon.

November 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
conley1988
Congrats on your new bundle.
November 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Super Mommy
What an entrance!!!

Congratulations!

November 22nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Woo- glad that's over! LOL Yay for Gavin!

Seriously I'm sorry labor was so long and tough, but I am so glad he's a healthy little guy!

CONGRATS!!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

November 22nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Congrats! Sounds like you had a pretty good induction besides the epi pushing dr lol

November 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Wow, what a story!!! Congrats on baby Gavin! Glad to hear you are both doing well

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
November 23rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on baby Gavin!!! He sure made his grand entrance

November 25th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mylie12
congrats !!!!!!!!!!

December 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Whoa I should have stopped reading after I read about 2 easy labors

That's quite a story, but I'm so happy all is well now! And 7lbs is great for 36 weeks.

December 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM
jenslittlemen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
TFS and congrats on the birth of your new baby boy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search