Katherine Elizabeth's Birth Story ~ Sorry it is sort of stream of consciousness

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am going to start at the end and say that Katie and I are both doing okay. Katie isnít sleeping much and I am sicker than I have ever been in my life, but guess that is what comes with spinal headaches. My parents and DH (Mike) are awesome and I could not ask for a better support system. I donít know what I would have done without all three of them since I canít really take care of Katie or myself at this point.
Emotionally, I am a wreck because I am headachy and feel like a total failure as a mommy because I canít take care of Katie in the way I had anticipated. I am writing this in sittings as I am able to be upright and type. I keep talking to Katie telling her how much Mommy loves her and how even though we are having to depend on other people to do lots of things for us right now, eventually, Mommy will be able to take care of her little Katie and I say about a hundred times a day how lucky I am to have her in my life and what a special little girl she is. I am also crying during part of it because I am thankful to be here with my little girl since things could have turned out differently if they hadnít gotten everything taken care of as soon as things went wrong.
Please understand that I am having to depend on accounts from other people for part of this since I have lost large chunks of time. My first hand memories are pretty sketchy so other than knowing the basics of what happened, none of this comes from anything I consciously recall unless specifically noted. I know this is not the birth story I had planned to be writing but life doesnít always turn out how you anticipate it to.
We were scheduled for an induction on Wednesday November 18, 2009, at 6 pm. There was an abundance of laboring mothers so when I called to check and see if we were still supposed to come in, they told me to wait and call back at 6 pm to see if anyone had completed labor and a bed had opened up for me. I called back and was told to come in. They didnít start the meds to soften the cervix until 9 pm roughly and they only used ľ at a time of the med so I didnít actually get that much. I dilated fairly well and by around 3 pm on Thursday, DH called my parents and said that we would probably have Katie within an hour. They were staying at our apartment waiting for word that Katie had arrived. At 6 pm, DH called and told them I had just been given an epidural. He called them back a few minutes later and said that my SIL was on her way to pick them up and bring them to the hospital. My mother said that at that point in time, she knew something really bad had happened. She was preparing herself for the news that her oldest daughter was dead and the emergency c-section was an attempt to save her granddaughter. Poor Mike had no idea what was going on after they gave me the epidural and the head of anesthesiology (or however it is spelled) asked me if I was okay and got no response. They just rushed him out of the room and called a Code Blue for L & D. The first site they had stuck me had a spinal fluid leak and somehow the local leaked into it and worked its way to my lungs pretty much stopping my breathing. I heard this from my ob and the anesthesiologist when they both came by early on Friday morning to explain to me what happened, how rare it was and that I could consider a blood patch to repair any damage if I ended up with a spinal headache.
I stayed in the hospital from Wednesday night until Sunday afternoon. I slowly worked my way off the machinery, getting rid of the catheter then the morphine pump and IV drip as Saturday came and went. It felt great to be able to hold my DD without being hooked up to all that stuff. Katie and breastfeeding are not going well together so she lost 12 oz during her stay but at the weight appt. today, she had gained back 5 oz. She started out at 9 lb .02 oz and is 21 inches long. She isnít too far from the original weight now and everyone says she looks lots older than 5 days. She has a set of lungs on her too. Came out screaming and has been using those pipes ever since (oh what a wonderful sound). I am still trying to do some pumping because I want to at least try to get some breast milk into her. I am on pain meds due to the headaches and regular c-section type pain. My blood pressure fluctuated enough that I am having to get it checked tomorrow at the gyno office to make sure I am not going to need blood pressure meds.
So, that is pretty much my birth story for Katie. Donít let it scare any of you who havenít given birth yet. What happened to me was a fluke. While we are the talk of the hospital, it has been said by many people that things of that sort donít happen more than one time in a million. I am still trying to use means other than a blood patch to deal with the headaches because I am scared of having a needle near my spine again, but I am sure that you all can understand why I am a bit antsy about that. Canít wait to get to feeling completely human again so I can catch up on stuff.

November 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
daisygarten's Avatar Jenn ~ Mom of 3+2
Oh Beth! What a miraculous outcome to an unbelieveable ordeal! Your baby is absolutely beautiful. I am so sorry your birth experience veered so far off the path and hope you are feeling much, much better with every passing hour.

November 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow, very scary! So glad you are both doing ok.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

November 24th, 2009, 09:51 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Beth i'm so glad you and Katie are OK. How scary that must have been for everyone involved. I hope the spinal headaches clear up soon, and you're able to be the mommy you want to be to little Katie.

November 24th, 2009, 01:15 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
oh, i'm so glad things turned out okay. yor baby iis jst precious.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

November 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! That is a crazy story Beth and I am so glad that you are ok now and little Katie is here safely!! As for the blood patch, I know that my dh's cousin had this happen to her though not near as sever as yours sounds, she got the blood patch and was feeling much better after just a couple of weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search