Emerson Isabella's birth story - forceps delivery

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So happy to say that my little angel is doing great so far!

My due date was Nov 6th, and that day came and went without much fanfare. I had been checked the day before and was 3cm and 70% effaced, and had my membranes swept, but nothing started labour-wise. We spent the next week just waiting it out. On the 12th I was supposed to call the OB's office to set up an appointment either that day, or on Friday to discuss induction.

However, at 4am on the 12th my water broke. I had just been up to pee about 15 minutes earlier and was lying in bed when I felt a gush, and figured I either just peed myself, or my water had broken. I got up and ran to the bathroom, soaking my undies as I went. I got back in bed and laid on a towel for a while, and kept having little gushes every once in a while. Around 4:30am I woke up my DH to say that I thought my water had broken, but for him to keep sleeping while I went and got on the exercise ball to time contractions, which were starting to happen.

DH got up around 6am and I told him to go feed the horses and turn them out, and I'd take care of the dogs and finish up getting ready. I paid a bunch of bills (because that's important!!), fed the dogs, and got dressed. We left the house at 7am when my contractions were about 6 minutes apart and lasting between 60 and 90 seconds.

We got to L&D at 7:30am and they hooked me up to the monitors for a half an hour, and tested to make sure my water had indeed broken - it had. After that we walked the halls until about 9am. The contractions were getting really strong and I was working hard to get through them. I ended up using an exercise ball in my room for another hour or so, it felt better than walking. The nurse checked me and I had only progressed to a 5, and the contractions weren't picking up any more in pace or intensity so they started me on pitocin. The IV hurt SO much, and of course they blew the vein in my left hand so they had to try again on the right. Once the pitocin was started, the contractions picked up. Eventually they got so strong I couldn't handle the pain by myself, and I had fentanyl in 20 minute intervals. At 12:30 I couldn't handle the contractions again, they were off the charts and just so painful. I requested an epidural, which I was terrified to receive.

At 1pm, the anesthetist arrived and administered the epi. It hardly felt like anything, although staying still through 3 intense contractions was so hard. She monitored me for a half an hour, and it turned out the epi hadn't worked so we had to do it again. The second one worked and was like magic, instant relief. Couldn't feel a thing.

At 3:30pm, the nurse checked me and I was complete. Time to push. I was able to tell when I was having a contraction at this point which was helpful with the pushing. After a couple of attempts to figure out how to push, I had it down pat.

I pushed for 2 solid hours, and for the last hour baby's heartrate was decelerating with each push and she wasn't moving down the birth canal. Her heartrate was always coming back up, but it was going down further and further with each contraction. The contractions were coming right on top of one another and neither baby nor I were able to recover from them. I was having an incredible amount of pain at this point as the epi had either worn off, or settled in my bottom due to the way I was pushing. Baby was stuck in the birth canal and wasn't coming without assistance, so the OB opted to do a forceps delivery. He inserted the forceps and pulled her out with a contraction. This was absolutely excruciating, I felt everything - the episiotomy, a ripping sensation in my pelvis, it was horrible. I kept screaming that it hurt, I couldn't control anything at this point. They told me when her head was delivered, but I was too consumed with pain to even know what was going on. When she was fully delivered they put her on my chest, but I didn't have that magical "no more pain" that people describe upon seeing their little one - I was still in too much pain. The OB pulled on the cord a bit to help the placenta along, and that was again excruciating. My poor DH was trying to comfort me but I don't even really remember him being there.

Being stitched up was painful, not enough freezing and he had to put more in twice to finish up the job. We spent half an hour with our LO and had her meet the grandparents while I scarfed down a couple of pieces of toast and some apple juice, then I tried to get up for a shower but was very light-headed and almost passed out, so I had to stay in bed for another 12 hours. When I got up the first time I had a lot of bleeding, so I had to keep the catheter and IV for another 24 hours in case I started to hemorrage (I didn't).

Anyway, Emerson arrived at 5:41pm, weighing 8lbs 9 oz and 21.5 inches long. We are SO in love with our little angel.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

November 30th, 2009, 02:08 AM
EOD_wife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Natalie, I am so sorry. I wish you hadn't had so much pain, but I am glad everything was worth it in the end :-)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search