Lyla's Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lyla McKenna
11.23.09 (via c-section)
8:12 PM
7lb 7oz- 21 inches long

The night started out very stressful! I had gotten a berating phone call from my step-mother telling me everything that she thought was wrong with me and so I had been very upset that night. I had started spotting but didn't think anything of it. I thought I'd just lay down and take it easy. Little did I know a few hours later...that would all change.....

My water broke on Sunday, November 22, at 11:30 PM. I was laying in bed- hubby and I had just finished watching a show on the DVR when all of a sudden I felt this pain and pop! I got up to use the restroom and immediately knew my water had broken! There was some blood and I was 'leaking' even after going pee. I yelled to hubby that I thought my water had broke. I don't think he believed me! I called the Kaiser nurse advice line and they said that it sounded like my water had broke and that I neeedd to get in there quickly! This is where hubby went into panic mode! I think I was in shock! I couldn't believe my water had actually broken! We grabbed the hospital bag, diaper bag and pillows. Hubby packed himself a bag and started packing the car. We got car-seat in and left. I still couldn't believe that I actually was going to have a baby in 24 hours or less.

We drove to the hospital - about 30 min away- luckily I wasn't having any contractions so the ride was fine. On the way we started calling people- mainly close family. When we arrived at the hospital and I got out of the car- thats when I felt the gush and like I had literally peed my pants. It was the longest most uncomfortable walk up to L&D that I have ever made. They got me checked in and in a triage room and then proceeded to check if it was actually my water that had broken. YEP - it had! They were going to admit me!

I still wasn't having any contractions but was starting to feel really nauseous! They put me in a room and told me that I was going to have to be put on pitocin because my contractions just weren't picking up. I was very reluctant to get it because I knew that might interfere w/ my plan to go naturally. I didn't have a choice- the doc wanted me started on it- so I agreed. It took a bit for it to kick in but once it did- man did the contractions start to hurt! They were all over the place too! Sometimes I'd get 5 min between- sometimes 2- sometimes 3. They kept increasing the pitocin though. I was trying my absolute hardest to breathe through them! I made it about 2 hours before I literally couldn't breath through them anymore. I asked for pain med- they gave me nubain but it didn't work! I didn't want any noise in the room during my contractions and still had to struggle to breathe through them ....I was making progress though. I was dilating just fine.

At about 8- the contractions were getting even stronger! I had never been in so much pain in my life! I looked at my husband and said- I just wanted the epidural- I couldn't do it! I had been on the pitocin since 1 AM! The epidural -intially - worked great!!!! It worked until about 1 or 2 PM......then the pressure started in my back. It got progressively worse. I was still dilating at a good rate. The pressure got so bad that I wanted to push- but I was only at a 7 or 8 so I couldn't. I finally had to get something for it- I'm not sure what they gave me but it was something that took away the extreme pressure. I rested a bit until that eventually wore off too! At about 5:30 PM the nurse checks me again and says I am at about 9.5 but still have a lip. The OB came in and said that we will give it one more hour or I have to have a c-section. I laid there and hoped and hoped that I'd make progress!!! My contractions just weren't getting strong enough or long enough on their own!

6:30 PM- no progress! Stuck at 9.75 and still have a lip! I have to have the c-section. This is where I started to shake uncontrollably! I was scared and literally exhausted! I hadn't slept all night or day. It took about an hour before they took me into the O.R.- I got in there and they started me on the pain meds. Everything was fine at first....then I started to feel what they were doing. The epidural wasn't working! I do remember them getting her out and hubby going to cut the cord....but after that it all gets hazy! They drugged me pretty bad after that for the pain. I was completely knocked out! She was born at 8:12 PM and all I remember the anesthesiologist saying is that she was born at 2012 - like the movie. I then remember going into recovery and couldn't wake up! I wanted to hold and nurse my baby so bad but couldn't come out of it. It took me two hours. Andrew held her the whole time! Finally at like 10:30 almost 11 I was taken up to my room. I still couldn't hold her because my blood pressure was to high. I finally go to do skin to skin w/ her around midnight!

Turns out Lyla was sunny side up! The OB said that when he cut me open all he saw was baby staring up at him. He told me I never would have delivered vaginally! And that I will probably most likely have to have c-sections from now on since she was mal-positioned. but thats ok w/ me! She was so worth it!
December 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looks like yyou got to take a wild ride with Lyla. But it all turned out great in the end and I am sure you are excited and totally in love.

Congrats Mama!

Thank you Claire1979!
December 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow - your story sounds a LOT like mine. So glad everything turned out okay in the end Best wishes and CONGRATS to you!!!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

December 4th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! You type like I do, with lots of exclamation points haha I could literally hear the excitement reading your story.

December 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Regular
Simply beautiful! Congratulations!
December 6th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Congratulations Christine, she's beautiful! Thank you for sharing your birth story.

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
December 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM
jenslittlemen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sorry about the abrupt c/s but I'm glad you are both doing well. CONGRATS!!! She's beautiful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search