Ethan's Birth Story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
The day I was induced started out about like every other doctor's appointment I had for the last couple weeks leading up to it, I went in for a biophysical ultrasound which was to be followed by seeing my ob. I got up at about 8am and was sick(nausea and vomitting) also pretty normal for me at this point, dh drove me to my ultrasound appointment where I was told that my ammniotic fluid had dropped again, this time to an afi of 4 which was dangerously low and Ethan failed the nst part of the test and because of there being so little fluid they could not get a fetal tone, we could see his heart beating thankfully but it was still so scary. I then went to my ob's office where once again my blood pressure was very elevated and I had lost a couple more pounds, my ob comes in and is shaking his head at me and says I see the fluid dropped again, and I really don't like that, I am going to send you to L&D, you might be having this baby today.
At L&D they get me hooked up to monitors, one for Ethan's hb and one for contractions and the doc on call comes in and tells me that they will be inducing me today and using cervadil since I was still at a finger tip dilated and about 50% effaced and -3 station, and that it may take a while, they also tell me that the cervadil may put me into labor itself or may just soften my cervix in which case they would then use pitocin.
Well labor took a little while, we did finally make some progress during the night, lol about the time they gave me my sleeping medicine the contractions really starting picking up and getting pretty intense, at this point I was still only dilated to a 2 60% effaced (around 1am) but the cervadil had been in almost 12 hours so they removed it and had me take a shower, then around 2:30 am they put cervadil in again and the contractions got really intense but still not looking all that intense on the monitor(it was back labor) they decided that I really need to sleep so they brought in stadol for the pain and phenergan because I was getting super nauseous again and I finally did fall asleep for a little while, I woke up around 5 am or so in allot of pain with contractions that were probably every 2 minutes and very long lasting and I felt wet but thought it was just from the gel/cervadil but got up and went to the bathroom and noticed I had a bit of a gush when I stood up that had some blood in it so I told the nurses about this but they said that if it had been my fluid it would have been more than that, i finally did get one nurse to check it since I know there was not much fluid to gush and sure enough it was instantly blue on the strip and she checked me (this was about 6:30 am) and I was 5cm dilated so they decided i would likely not need pitocin and to go ahead and hook up my IV to start getting my antibiotics in (for strep b) then they left for a while and i told them i really wanted my epidural, but they couldn't yet because my dang iv blew a vein, they gave me more stadol which did nothing, at about 8:45 i finally got my epi and it again only numbed my left side, checked me again 7cm, 15 minutes or so later i felt huge pressure and i was 9.5 cm so we started pushing and within 10 minutes he was here face first which explained rhe back labor! they told me that my due date had to be off because he is a 36 week old baby instead of 38, at first he scared us by having breathing retractions, but thankfully he is fine now
It shocks me that we were two weeks off on his due date, but I guess it's possible, the cycle I thought I got preggo on I spotted several days mid cycle, maybe that was af, who knows, I am just thankful that he is here and healthy even if early
stats
born at 9:29am
weight 6lb 10oz
length 19 1/2
head 13 1/4

December 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad he is here and healthy. I am sorry you had to go through all this in your pregnancy but I am glad you got the best thing ever out of it. You are a trooper mama!

Congrats again!

Thank you Claire1979!
December 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad all is well Vicki! He is beautiful!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

December 6th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Congratulations Vicki. I'm glad your little boy is here and is healthy. Thank you for sharing your birth story.

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
December 18th, 2009, 02:04 PM
CaddyMom126's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am finally getting around to reading all of these- but Congratulations! I am glad that he got here safe and sound. I like the picture in your siggy, too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search