Owen's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Owen and I are both doing well. He loves to nurse, be held or rocked and sleep. He is a great baby and we are so blessed!

I ended up having a c-section after a scary labor. Monday morning my doctor stripped my membranes and gave me prostaglandin gel. This was to help dialate and ripen my cervix for an induction scheduled Wednesday morning. I had a few contractions but nothing that was doing any progress so went home.

That night a friend of mine stopped by around 7pm. I noticed while she was visiting that I was having contractions, but they weren't too bad. After she left we got the boys in the bath and I started going into labor. At first I didn't believe it b/c I'd had so many contractions over the last few weeks, but these got stronger and close together very quickly.

We called Greg's mom around 10:15 that night to come and stay w/the boys. When we got to the hospital I was dialated to a 5, with a bulging bag of waters. Contractions were coming every 3 minutes. I was in so much pain and could not get a handle on it. The labor team was great- they worked very fast to get me admitted and as comfortable as possible. I was an 8 when the anesthesiologist got there- I just did not think I could make it w/o an epidural, even being that close. My water broke spontaneously before the epidural, which was an exciting moment for the doctor and nurses. I finally did get the epidural and was able to relax.

Shortly after that the doctor checked me and realized Owen was facing "sunny-side up" and that was why I was having such horrible back labor. She attempted quite a few times to turn him, but he would not turn. When I was fully dialated I tried to push him out but he was still pretty high up and his heart rate would accelerate close to 200 bpm with each push. Come to find out his neck was straining backwards with each push and his head could not descend into the birth canal. She decided at that point a c-section was the only way to go.

I was then prepped for that, freaked out of course. Greg changed into scrubs and we were wheeled into the OR. They worked really quickly after that and Owen was born, completely healthy and screaming like mad.

I'm doing pretty good now after a rough recovery. I had lots of nausea and vomiting the next 12-18 hours or so, which was so awful. Once that ended I started to feel more like myself.

Owen is doing great. He's passed all his tests and has no jaundice or anything like that. He is such a big boy! This is interesting to me but the doctor said she's found it is difficult for a lot of moms to deliver babies bigger than what the mother weighed at birth. Perhaps that is true (?). I was 6lbs. 7oz. so Owen is almost a pound larger than I was.

At any rate, that is what happened to the best of my memory! One more thing - Greg was pulled over on the way to Baylor. So we got to use the excuse of "my wife is in labor"- LOL!!

Owen Graham Garcia
born Dec. 1, 2009
2:10 a.m.
7 lbs. 5 oz.
20 3/4 inches

Love you guys,
Jenn

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

Last edited by Jenn1320; December 3rd, 2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added birth stats
December 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
~Payton's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad everything turned out well Jenn. I love that Greg got pulled over and got to use the excuse that cracks me up.

Thank you Vicki for my beautiful siggy.

December 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
ChristinaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh too funny that you got to use that excuse

I'm glad everything turned out great. Congrats again

December 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
Jenn I am so glad to hear that he and you are doing well now, but what a whirlwind labor, seems quite a few of us have had back labor, words can't quite describe that feeling, hopefully your c section recovery will be quick! by the way he is adorable it's shocking how much hair he has!
Lol about using the "my wifes in labor" line that's hilarious

December 4th, 2009, 06:36 PM
jenslittlemen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i'm happy to hear you're doing well after a c/s. that has to be scary, espcially when you're not expecting it. that's funny about dh getting pulled over though. I'm assuming he didn't get a ticket then?CONGRATS on another boy!

December 6th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Congratulations on baby Owen!! You really had a whirlwind of a labor. Glad it all turned out well. That is too funny about Gregg being pulled over and got to use the excuse! Hehe. Also, it's interesting that the doctor said it is difficult for woman to birth a baby larger than they were at birth... I was 6 lbs and this baby is closer to 7lbs! Uh oh!
Thank you for sharing your birth story.

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
December 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, no ticket! However DH is a cop, and really is used to getting pulled over- lol.

Lynda, I've had a few friends say that weight rule wasn't true for them... so I wouldn't worry. Just her opinion. I'm also really short and that has to have something to do with it too.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search