Ethan Tyler Corrigan

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
This is what my DH's was going through that day,

Hey all, this is Tamara's husband. She wanted me to post an update for her. I tend to be very descriptive, so please try not to fall asleep

Ethan Corrigan was born on 11/21/2009 at 10:47am. He weighs 8lbs 5oz and is 21 inches long. He's big and he's handsome (Just like his daddy... used to be )

We arrived at the hospital at 8:00am, after falling asleep at 3:30am, and were shown to the waiting area while we waited for a room to become available. Two hours of prep later, I walked Tamara to the OR door and gave her the biggest kiss I could manage while staying PG. Twenty minutes of staring down a long hallway later, a nurse came out and called to me. Our son was born.

When I met my son for the first time, his skin had a blue tint and the pediatrician was applying oxygen directly. It was like a miracle watching his skin slowly turn pink. However, when the oxygen was changed to blow-by, his blood gas levels would slowly drop to unacceptable levels.The operating doctor noted that Ethan had cried before being fully removed. Because of that, and the oxygen working, they took some X-Rays, and found that something was causing the oxygen exchange in his lungs to be obstructed.

The hospital where he was born in only has a 'well baby nursery', meaning they don't have the ability to provide the kind of attention Ethan needs. Because of this, he was transported to another hospital where he could be focused on by a group of pediatricians and supporting nurses. Shortly after, we decided that i would go to be with Ethan at the other hospital. When I arrived, the pediatrician went over the X-Ray from the first hospital and from where he arrived, and explained how he was already showing signs of improvement. I answered some questions about family history and told Ethan that I'd be right outside for him. About an hour later, I was shown back in and the Dr explained that the hoses in his nose went in very easily and it was easy to see that he was still quite comfortable even with the hoses. I let him know that I was still there, and that I would be right outside.

A few hours later, he had been weened off of 100% oxygen to 90% oxygen and holding steady. At that point I was comfortable leaving him there overnight. We didn't have a room there so I couldn't stay the night. I cried all my tears and was starving so I headed back to Tamara before my eyes hurt too much to drive. At 11pm, Tamara called over to where Ethan was and he had been reduced to 65% oxygen and holding steady. Another X-Ray also showed less obstruction of the oxygen exchange. We're both much more at ease now, and Tamara is attempting to pump so when Ethan eats, he will eat breast milk.

We are both exhausted and sad to be apart from our little bundle of joy, but we know he is in good hands. We need to sleep somehow, we're just trying to figure out how we'll do that.

This is what I went through that day,

We woke up got ready and were sitting with each other thinking about how this was going to be that last day of just us. SO we packed up the car and headed to the hospital. The room wasn't ready so we waited. Finally got hooked up and to have the catiter in before I was knocked out(that really sucked). I went in to labor while we were waiting for the C-section, they were painful and I was ready to not be dealing with this. So in the end Ethan agree'd with the due date we picked! Everything was ready I walk with my DH down the hall to the OR, he gave me a huge kiss and I walked it. He had to wait outside the door because I was getting knocked out.

I got up on the table and laid down, I was freezing cold and could not stop shaking. They had about 6 warmed blankets on me trying to keep me warm while they prepared everything. Because they can't knock you out and then prepare you, so I was awake through all that stuff. Then the doctor said ok you will feel burning (the knock out meds) but it wouldn't hurt you phyically. Then when you wake up you will have a baby.

I woke up in recovery very dazed but heard the c-section went great. My DH came in but I noticed Ethan was not with him, they had told me he could bring Ethan it. So I started asking questions, size, weight, toes, fingers. They never told me anything was wrong, my DH hide that very well from me. The doctor apparently told him not to tell me anything well I am recovering, I could go in shock and that wouldn't be good.

After about an hour and 15 mins in recovery I was wheeled to my room. I was so excited I couldn't wait to see my little man that I had carried for 9 months. Everything got situated and that is when the told me everything. My doctor comes in and tell me that they have to transfer Ethan to a different hospital, and the reason being is when he was born he swallowed a lot of fluid do to crying on his way out of my uterus. So there is fluid in his lungs and they are having trouble keeping this breathing up. I was still sleepy from the meds and I was getting very emotion. My DH came running in and sat by my side. Apparently he didn't know the doctor was telling me this or else he would of been there when she did, he was in with Ethan at the time.

At this point I am in tears crying I want my baby. His full term this wasn't supposed to happen. Everyone is trying to calm me down but I was not having it. I lost it. About 10 mins later the transporting team was there and ready to take him. I cried saying please let me see my baby once before you take him. They got him stabled and wheeled him in, he was in the big plastic box with tubes all over and looked so helpless. I am his mother I was supposed to protected him. Because of all the machines I was hooked up to they couldn't bring him up to my face, he was by the foot of the bed. I didn't get to touch him and only got to see him for a minute. Once again I lost it, they took him out and off he went to another hospital.

Like my DH said he went with Ethan and my sister drove up to be with me. She walked in with her little 3 months old, luckily our hospital didn't have visitor restrictions. I just started crying I want my baby, I have no belly and no baby with me. I kept to myself a lot that day, didn't return calls, didn't talk to anyone but my DH and getting updates on Ethan.

I had blamed myself thinking it was the medication I was taking. But finally the doctor at the NICU called and explained the situation and let me know it was not because of the meds. If the meds were the issue he would of come out not breathing at all and they would be dealing with a completely different situtaion. So that eased my mind for a second but still worried with fear of what Ethan was going through without his mommy, and him not knowing I was there for him. It was three and a half days before I got to see my baby and hold him for the first time.

I don't believe any bonding time was lost! I have a health and happy little boy now. Luckily he stay there was not that long.

Sorry this was so long. If you read all of it thank you!

December 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks for sharing! I am sorry it was so hard but glad his nicu stay was so short and you have bonded well.
December 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is quite an experience. I'm so glad everything worked out in the end. I love your siggy, the pic of the 3 of you is so wonderful!

December 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im sorry to hear about the rough start, But you seem to have a very loving DH. I am glad to hear that it was a short stay for your little guy. Congrats!

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

December 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Formerly LyndaSLP
I'm sorry things were so rough in the beginning. I can't imagine how difficult it was for you not to be able to hold your baby right away. I'm glad he only had a short time in the NICU and that he is now healthy and happy. He's adorable (love the new siggy ). Congratulations again on Ethan. TFS your story.

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search