We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
This is 6 weeks late but 3 kids means life is crazy around here.
On 10/23 I went in for my 37 week appointment. At that point in time I was measuring 3 weeks ahead according to my u/s the week before. My OB was giving me that week to go into labor naturally in order to get my VBAC otherwise he was going to schedule me for a c-section due to the size of the baby. Once baby was bigger than 10lbs he was no longer comfortable allowing a VBAC. At that appointment I was dilated to a 4 and baby was very very low. Normally my OB wouldn't consider stripping membranes at 37 weeks since lungs might still be a little immature. But under she felt that I'd likely go into labor very soon anyhow so she was just going to see if she could help me along and make sure I got my VBAC.
That day I didn't feel anything except the miserable I'd been for the last few weeks. I headed to bed around 11ish but couldn't sleep because my back was killing me. I got up and showered to see if that would help any and it didn't. So I figured I'd watch tv for a bit and wait for some tylenol to kick in. Around 1ish I started having some very light contractions - nothing major and figured those could last quite awhile. At 2ish the contractions started getting very uncomfortable and timeable around 8 minutes apart. So I decided I should wake hubby so he could shower and wake up a bit since it probably wouldn't be too much longer before we needed to drive to the hospital (an hour away). By 3ish my contractions were around 6 minutes apart and getting stronger so since it was an hour to the hospital we figured we should get going.
We got there around 4. I was put on monitors to confirm I was in labor (I was) and they checked me to be dilated to 5. So the admitted me and called the OB on call. She got to the room at 5:00 and decided to break my water. Before she broke my water she asked if I wanted an epidural because once she broke my water there was a chance I wouldn't be able to get it. I was doing fine - contractions were painful but nothing I couldn't deal with - so I refused the epi. She broke my water at 5:07 am.
It tooke about 5 minutes to have the first contraction. After that they were one on top of the other. I had to stay in bed on the monitors for 20 minutes after they broke my water. The was horrid. If I lay back my back absolutely killed. If I sat up the pressure was so intense. I just wanted to stand up - I kept telling myself if I could stand up it wouldn't be so intense. I knew about 4 contractions after my water was broke that I wasn't going to get the epi or any pain medications and that things were going to be over very quickly.
After about 25 minutes the nurse finally came back in and said I could get out of bed. I didn't feel any better getting out of bed. After about 3 contractions the nurse was calling for the doctor to come right now and telling me I had to get back into bed RIGHT NOW. Now she's telling me this in the middle of a contraction and was not inclined to listen to her at that moment. She realized very quickly coming into the room that things were progressing faster than she thought.
The OB got in the room about the time I finally got into bed and I was dilated to a 10. She said it was time to push. Pushing did not feel good at all - I kept wanting to arch my back but they kept yelling at me to curl forward around the baby. It took about 5 pushes to get him out.
Instantly I felt better as soon as he slid out. What hurt is because I was a VBAC the OB had to reach inside and check my incision and make sure it was intact still. Getting an epi with dd#2 apparently saved me from having to experience that one. I had a slight tear - skin only no muscle - and needed a couple of stitches.
Maxwell Connor weighed 9lb 7oz and was 20 1/4 inches long. He needed a bit of oxygen to pink him up but otherwise was nice and healthy. He was my biggest baby by far (dd#2 was 8lb 5oz and dd#1 was 7lb13 oz) but my shortest baby.
He was born at 5:59am on 10/24 - just 50 minutes after my water broke and 2 hours after I arrived at the hospital. It was extremely intense and painful but over so fast it was worth it. It was also my fastest and easiest recovery of all 3 births.