VBAC Birth of Olivia Madelyn

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Momma K's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Momma K
After weeks of miserable pre/early labor, our natural induction date was set. I went to my last doctor visit on Dec 2nd. The doctor stripped my membranes and I had a long night of contractions and then I felt great. So, I resigned myself to the idea of my water being broken on Sunday the 6th in the evening. Also, that it would probably be a long night.

Well God and Olivia knew better than me. I went to bed early Saturday night to get some much needed rest for the marathon ahead. Naturally, I woke up at like 1:30 in the morning to go to the bathroom. I had horrible IBS like symptoms which I chalked up to nerves about the blessed event to follow hours later. I lay back down and basically tossed and turned with horrible "gas" pains. I went back to sleep for a brief amount of time.

Around 4:45 I woke up with bad cramps and needed to go to the bathroom. I felt better so I went back to sleep. At 5:45 I woke up panting through pain! I went to the bathroom and I was starting to bleed! The pains were intense enough I HAD to breathe through them.

I got the hubby up and we called L&D and our parents. Mine followed us to the hospital and his stayed with the kids.

We were on the road at 7:20am. We no sooner started down the highway and the contractions started slamming me every 3minutes. I was praying the whole way not to have the baby til we reached the hospital...which we arrived about 8:10am.

They wheeled me to L&D and started the check in prep stuff. The blood work, urine sample, paperwork and consent stuff, yada yada yada.

Somewhere around 9:15 my nurse checked me and I was at an even 5 and almost completely effaced. She hooked me up to the monitors and called my doctor. She was not going to be able to be at the hospital until 4pm (which was my scheduled time) so her partner was called in. (He'd been given my complete history and charts to review early on in the event my OB wasn't able to attend.)

He was very reassuring and supportive. He checked me out and broke my water and gave me an internal uterine monitor at about 10:30. I was at a 6 and fully effaced.

By this time I was beginning to panic and get very tired. My contractions were coming hard at every 1 to 2 minutes. I was fighting to keep relaxed and it was taking it's toll and I began to cry. I so badly wanted an epidural but was so very afraid of all the happened last time. The OB told me that the best anesthesia guy ever was doing epidurals and if it were him he'd let him do it. But, that it was totally up to me. But that if I wanted it now was to time to do it.

So after a couple of camel backed contractions that broke me, I prayed hard and asked for it.

The epi guy was familiar with my story and he helped me relax and assured me he'd do everything to ensure I was okay.

He put it in and then he started the testing doses. Once I was able to have some relief and cope with the contractions he locked in the dose. He hung around to make sure I was doing fine.

I could still feel everything. Could move my legs, feel contractions and everything but could easily relax between them. I was sooo sleepy by this point cause I used up all my energy being afraid. It was now 11:40am once the epi was in.

I could relax and talk and joked with the nurse about how quickly I transition and that I'd gone from a 7 to pushing in 20 minutes before. So she laughed and called the nursery to come set up. Checked me and I was a 7.

Seeing the nursery set up and knowing I was this far and that I could handle it now I felt a surge of energy! I was getting the VBAC I so badly wanted!

That thought was interrupted by lotd of pressure. I told my nurse, so she checked me again. 9cm! She let the staff know it would be soon and began to break the bed down.

I began to have the sudden urge to push. Sure enough...10 and baby was moving down! So, with that I was allowed to push on my own as they prepped me.

Then HOLY cow did my bizness start burning! She was crowning. It was soooo uncomfy and I could tell she was big.

They kept talking to me and coaching me. They were awesome! The I was told to stop. Her head was out. Then suddenly out pops a hand! That was why it hurt so bad cause she'd had her hand by her face.

The doc rotate her shoulders out. I did tear a little but it wasn't bad at all. Then with one more big push, the biggest miracle of my life! Total relief and exhaustion! I burst into tears! I was so proud of myself and so thankful for everyone involved.

Olivia Madelyn was born at 12:02pm! She was 8lbs and 13oz and 20 inches long! Beautiful and healthy! I was instantly in love! And because of the way the epidural was done, I was up on my feet in no time!

I felt like a rock star. All the nurses were "I heard you had a VBAC with a BIG baby!". LOL

She had some low blood sugar but is doing great now. No jaundice at all. She's nursing well though we are having to supplement until my milk comes in.

I'll post pictures when I can use the computer...can't sit in the chair with all these stitches!

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to never give up! This is one small statistic I can say I'm proud to be a part of. VBACs are awesome, friends are life preservers and God is merciful!
December 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM
~Payton's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your vbac...I know how badly you wanted to do that. Cant wait to see pics of Olivia....Im sure she's beautiful.

Thank you Vicki for my beautiful siggy.

December 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
yaay congrats on your vbac!
December 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats! I know how happy you must be to get your VBAC. i actually cried reading this birth stroy. . . could be the extra hormones but anyway I am sooo happy for you!
December 9th, 2009, 12:38 PM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your Vbac, I know you were looking forward to it almost as much as the birth of her.

Congrats!!

Thank you Claire1979!
December 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
I'm just popping in from the March DDC to say congrats on your VBAC! I hope to get one too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
December 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrat on your VBAC and birth of your baby girl!!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

December 11th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Congratulations on your VBAC!!! Can't wait to see pictures of Olivia. TFS your birth story.

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
December 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
That's an awesome story!! Congratulations! I too am hoping and praying for a vbac birth!!

Married since 2007, and the stay at home mama to 4!
December 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
congrats on your vbac! they truely are an amazing experience, i just had one 4 weeks ago with a 9lb 4oz baby boy, so i feel your pain!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search