Isabelle Ivy 12-14--Updated With Pics #2.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
foxfire_ga79
Well I have to say that the birth didn't go at all how I planned. About the only thing that was the same in my plan and in real life was that she came out.

Forgive me, I can't remember the exact times of everything, just a few things.
I got checked in around 6:30 Sunday night and around I'm guessing 8ish got the Cervadil in. Within a half hour I started contracting, which isn't typical. The doctor said only 10% of women who get it start labor simply because of it.
For awhile I was able to manage. I tried my ball and the tub and both were nice. But the contractions were already getting really strong and I was barely dilated 1. So I got some Fentanyl and went back to trying to be brave. There has to be a half hour between doses of narcotics for 3 doses and then you have to wait a while before any more. I got a 2nd dose of Fentanyl 35 minutes later and when I was ready for more we tried Stadol and some Phenergan to try and help me rest.
So much for my pain med free birth, I was getting desperate and decided to go for an epidural. It didn't seem to take the first time so they redid it and it took quite a while to take effect. Part of my reason for getting it was because the cervix checks were getting painful, and the nurse blamed that on the Cervidil.
By then (2 or 3 in the morning I guess) the doctor decided the Cervidil was making the contractions too close together and too strong so it needed to come out, and the nurse saw that my water broke. I was checked again and they said externally I had dilated about 3 but internally my cervix was still about 1 and there was some bag in front of the baby's head.
We decided to try a low dose of pitocin to keep things going. I started getting extremely overwhelmed. I didn't want a fully running IV, but had to for the epidural. I didn't want continuous monitoring but had to for the pitocin. I was totally losing my marbles. The pitocin made my blood pressure drop so that had to be checked every 10 minutes but the timer wasn't working so it did it like every 3 minutes. The straps on the monitor made my tummy itch, and I'm sensitive to adhesives but my entire back was covered in tape to keep the epi catheter in. And I had to keep getting catheterized because of the epidural I couldn't walk to the bathroom. I was getting kinda snotty to the nurses and at one point told them to tell the doctor I wanted to leave but I can't remember what time that was.
So by 7 in the morning shift changed and the doctor that ordered my induction was in. He said I was dilated about 2, and he broke the rest of the bag that was in front of the baby's head. Then we kicked up the dose of pitocin, and I was back to begging for more help with my epidural. They came in and gave two more boluses in it but the pain really never went away and I was still just having to breathe through everything. At some very shortly after being told I ws 2, I was checked again and I was 4. So at that point I was able to chill out a little knowing that finally I was in labor for real.
The pain was tough to deal with and they were close together, in a little over an hour I made it to 9cm and when I realized that, dealing with the contractions became way easier knowing it was almost over. But she was still barely engaged, stuck at -2. The nurse told me to let them know as soon as I felt pressure like I wanted to push, so I waited.
An hour later I still didn't have the urge to push but asked to be checked and sure enough I had made it to 10 and Ivy was at 0 station. They got the doctor and got everything ready, I would push even without the urge.
This is when my uterus finally totally redeemed itself. lol I pushed through 2 contractions. I didn't think I had the strength to push from lack of sleep and the epidural which magically made my legs numb but not my back or my tummy. But with the first contraction I got her to crowning, and with the 2nd I got her head out. The doc laughed and said obviously I DID have the strength to push.
So Ivy made her debut on 12-14-09 at 11:29AM, weighing in at a mere 7lbs 8ozs and 19.25 inches. (I KNEW she was going to be smaller than my others, she's officially my smallest baby by more than a quarter pound! ) And thanks to that, I didn't tear much. The doc said 2nd degree, it wasn't as big as my previous scar from the other kids and it took him like 5 minutes to get me stitched up.
As soon as Ivy came out we saw the source of all my pain. She was sunny side up. This was a tough labor for me. My hands and feet are still swollen, and I'm not up and about like I normally am after a birth. But it's done now and she's here. And of course she's beautiful! I've got a few pics but not uploaded on photo bucket yet, I'll get some attached later in the day.
For now Ivy is in the NICU but I'm going to post about that in the main forum.

Last edited by foxfire_ga79; December 15th, 2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Added pictures
December 15th, 2009, 08:11 AM
foxfire_ga79
Alrighty, I finally got a few pics. Sorry it took me so long, we've been trying to get caught up on sleep!!

December 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a cutie!! Congrats!!!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

December 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh she is to cute!
December 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
Aww she's adorable, and so sorry you had back labor, i did this tine also, makes labor much harder

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my Awesome Sciencey Siggy
December 19th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Congratulations on baby Ivy! She's beautiful! Sorry it wasn't the way you wanted labor to go. TFS your birth story.

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search