Are cloth diapers a good thing

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH and I are expecting our first child and are working towards my being a SAHM. I might have to work a few hours a week, but am not going back full-time. I really want to try cloth diapers and have read quite a bit about them on the internet, but want some advice from real life moms. Am I insane for even considering it or have others of you have good experiances? If so, what do you prefer to use.
Thanks for the advice....

<div align="center"></div>

November 13th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I wanted to use them. Unfortunately, I am not a SAHM, so cloth diapers could not be used. I would go ahead and use them if you are able to.

<center><p style="background:white;"><font face="verdana,arial,sans-serif" size="1" color="black">Wedding Date - September 25, 1998</font>
</p></center>
November 20th, 2005, 11:01 PM
teacherinlove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I replied to one of your posts on another board but wanted to add..

I am a single full time student mom and even though it might seem easier to just toss a diaper in the garbage you will see that it is just as easy to use cloth. Once you find your "system" of doing things its a breeze..

PM me any time you need to talk cloth..

~Marissa~

November 26th, 2005, 09:41 AM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used cloth diapers with my first 6 babies, and really liked them most of the time (I did use disposables when we were away from him, and with #7 because I was working full-time and he had teenage siblings who were more willing to work with disposables - it was survival). Looking at wearing diapers from the baby's point of view.....what seems more comfortable? What would you rather have on your bottom? When I thought about it, it seemed like cloth was much "friendlier". We didn't have a clothes drier when my oldest was a baby (poor college students) so her diapers were a bit "stiff", but disposables weren't really an option at the time. Once we had a drier I didn't mind the laundering and stuff at all. For a couple of my babies we had a diaper service, and that was heaven! Good luck with your decision.

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
November 28th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Natalies_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Girl, I wouldn't have it ANY other way! I absolutely LOVE cloth diapering!! We only use disposeables during outings. I highly recommend the Fuzzi Bunz. They are great with the hemparoo inserts, and are greatly absorbant. They have cute colors and snaps, and are just adorable!!

We also use unbleached cloth prefolds (if you're going that route - DO buy over the 'net at a cloth diapering place DON'T buy store bought cloth diapers, they are WAY TOO thin and don't work for crap!) And I use Bummis and Prorap covers.

I also use a various amount of SAHM.com diapers www.sahmdiapers.com she's got great fitteds!! Feel free to PM me with any questions!!

I'm a CDaholoic!!

GL!

</div>
December 30th, 2005, 10:08 PM
mystique's Avatar Regular
Is it too much of a work, if I'm going to consider using cloth diapers? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. but, what if your baby accidentally pooped, how will you clean the cloth diaper? enlightened me pls? thanks!
January 3rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Quote:
Is it too much of a work, if I'm going to consider using cloth diapers? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. but, what if your baby accidentally pooped, how will you clean the cloth diaper? enlightened me pls? thanks! [/b]
I use Kushies and they sell paper-like liners to put in the cloth diapers, when the liner is soiled I just throw it out, I soak my diapers in a pail with baking soda before washing and this helps get some of the stains out. After they have soaked, I spin them out and then wash and dry them.

January 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Hotcha's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to Hotcha Send a message via Yahoo to Hotcha
i love cloth diapering! we used disposables when going out of town for the holidays and brady got a diaper rash for the first time.

i wash diapers every 3 days or so and don't find that it's that time consuming.

i use prefolds mostly, but also use wonderoos w/ the wonderful inserts.

honestly, i've found that everyone has a different preference on what they like.

i hope you decide to try it!!

January 7th, 2006, 07:33 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am cloth diapering with Kushies (its cheap). I am using the 8 layer ones with a nylon layer in the middle. I bought them at a consignment store washed but never used. 30 for 60$ AND 5 new AIOs for 16$ Originally I was going to use Mother Ease, but then I found kushies to be ok.

EVERYONE has their own preference on diapers and covers, but if you don't have alot of money go with prefolds! OR kushies OR used diapers (make sure the elastic and the velcro or snaps is still strong).

So Crunchy
January 7th, 2006, 10:39 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I use them, I think they are great. Get the kind with the velcro, you don't even need pins. Use the prefolds also. Good luck.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search