Starting Solids

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Lily will be 6 months tomorrow, so I want to start solids. She's been having cereal (rice and oatmeal) for a few weeks now, so now I think it is time for something new. I was thinking of starting with vegetables..... but I really don't know. WHat did everyone else start with?

-Christine

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 8th, 2005, 06:50 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Make sure you start with single ingredient foods. Try only 1 new one a day. That way if she has an alergic reaction you know which one she is reacting too. Dont start with something too sweet like bananas because then she will get a sweet tooth. But dont start with anything nasty either like green beans or she wont want it at all. My suggestion would be to start with sweet potatoes or carrots.

January 11th, 2005, 07:01 AM
MinnesotaMommy
I'm going to start Michael in peas for the first week. Introduce 1 new food a week, is what I have done.
January 18th, 2005, 06:24 PM
AmberC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberC
I was also told to start one new food a week. Crista was started on solids when she was 3 months old. But in our situation... I have IBS and gave it to Crista. She was on just reg Enfamil formula which was causing HORRIBLE belly aches and diarreah for her. So we switched her to prosobee (enfamil still) which worked BUT there was too much iron and she started getting constipated. SO... I decided to go ahead and start her on reg food to try to counter that constipation. Crista started on prunes. LOL But she'd only get like not even half a jar a day and that worked! She started getting reg. I did just prunes for a while like that (couple weeks) before I started introducing other flavors. I didn't do 'meat' flavors until 6 months because sometimes their stomachs cant handle it until a bit older so watch those closely!

And have fun!!! I always loved doing solids and shoping for them!

</div>
January 19th, 2005, 07:32 AM
jen1978's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jen1978 Send a message via Yahoo to jen1978
I always started with the cereal made really thin. and when they got used to it i would add fruit or fruit juice with it. but just watch how much cereal it can be really binding.
January 20th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Well starting solids have been successful... we have been doing one new food every few days. She has had all the vegetables and loved all of them except the green beans (we will try that again in a few weeks). We started the fruits today and she had peaches with her breakfast. Things have been going well and she loves them all!
Thanks for the advice

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search