Help please!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM
mamabean's Avatar Regular
My son will be 6 months old on the 3rd of December. He's eaten rice cereal maybe 6 times. He usually spits it out or barely eats it. I also tried some infant oatmeal but he hated that too. My WIC nutritionist acts like he's behind. I'm really freaking out, I'm scared he'll be stuck drinking from a bottle until he's 12. lol

Is it okay that he's almost 6 month's and doesn't seem interested in solids yet? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

<center>

<center>

<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/va/index2.cgi">
</a>
November 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Ashes78
I wouldn't be too worried. All babies do things at their own pace. Have you tried any fruits or veggies yet?
November 28th, 2005, 05:12 PM
AliciaJ78's Avatar Veteran
My son Glenn is about 5 mos and he has no interest in cereal either...he loves the spoon and bowl but not the contents. He even shows interest in my food...lol he only tries to steal my fork or spoon when there is food on it and not empty. I don't think that he's behind...all babies have their own pace and he will eventually pick up that solid food is good.

Have to tried praising him when he does take a bite? cause I learned that it helps when you get all excited that he is taking a bite and he gets happy and may take another.

<center></center>
November 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
mamabean's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally posted by Ashes78@Nov 28 2005, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't be too worried. All babies do things at their own pace. Have you tried any fruits or veggies yet?
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I went ahead and bought some baby food. He LOVED the green beans. He ate half of the stage one jar.

Thanks so much.

I guess he wasn't fond of the rice cereal.

<center>

<center>

<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/va/index2.cgi">
</a>
November 28th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Ashes78
Your welcome. Xan refused to eat the rice cereal. Even if I mixed it with stuff.
December 3rd, 2005, 05:48 PM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At six months old, your baby doesn't need a lot of solids. In fact, the usualy recommendation these days is to delay solids until six months. Doctors used to encourage solids MUCH earlier (I saw the notes my mother saved from my pediatric checkups, and they told my mother to start me on solids at TWO WEEKS OLD!) but it seems that early introduction of solids is associated with more risk of allergies and greater risk of future obesity (so I can blame my pediatrician for my ongonig weight issues, lol). It sounds like you're doing great. Just enjoy this stage, your baby should still be getting most nutrition from milk at this age anyway.

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
December 3rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Quote:
At six months old, your baby doesn't need a lot of solids. In fact, the usualy recommendation these days is to delay solids until six months. Doctors used to encourage solids MUCH earlier (I saw the notes my mother saved from my pediatric checkups, and they told my mother to start me on solids at TWO WEEKS OLD!) but it seems that early introduction of solids is associated with more risk of allergies and greater risk of future obesity (so I can blame my pediatrician for my ongonig weight issues, lol). It sounds like you're doing great. Just enjoy this stage, your baby should still be getting most nutrition from milk at this age anyway.[/b]

wow now i understand why my sons pedi started him on cereal at 2 weeks, fruits at 6, and some veggies at 8.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
December 5th, 2005, 01:44 PM
hope1976's Avatar Veteran
Kiara is 10 1/2 months and she wants nothing to do with solids - we keep trying, but she's not interested. I told the doc about it and she said that really their main source of nutrition is formula, but to keep trying. I'm just hoping pretty soon she will. She does like to eat, don't get me wrong, but she keeps choking on so many things for some reason - doc said she's trying to eat too fast.

Good luck!
December 6th, 2005, 06:14 AM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
wow now i understand why my sons pedi started him on cereal at 2 weeks, fruits at 6, and some veggies at 8.[/b]
What? Your pediatrician recommended starting solids that early? I didn't think anyone did that any more, because of the risks. Did he say why he wanted you to start at those ages? I'm really curious. How old is your pediatrician? (I'm not criticizing you or anything, but I really am interested to know what he says about this because I seriously thought this was never advised these days).

Quote:
wow now i understand why my sons pedi started him on cereal at 2 weeks, fruits at 6, and some veggies at 8.[/b]
What? Your pediatrician recommended starting solids that early? I didn't think anyone did that any more, because of the risks. Did he say why he wanted you to start at those ages? I'm really curious. How old is your pediatrician? (I'm not criticizing you or anything, but I really am interested to know what he says about this because I seriously thought this was never advised these days).

Sorry about that weird double post - I don't know what the heck my computer was doing...or what I was doing, lol.

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
December 12th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Super Mommy
My son who's almost 8 months has zero interest in anythign besides breastmilk. I try and try and have been trying since he was 5 months. He now knows what mommy is tryign to do before I have the baby spoon out or food on my finger and closes up shop before I can even get to his mouth. I have tried rice cereal, tofu, numerous mushed fruits, sweet potato, oatmeal etc... Nada!
I know it is fine he's not interested as it's not odd at all. Your nutritionist is behind not your baby. From everything I have read and been told the range varies greatly as to age when baby might accept solids. I have friends with kids who said theirs didn't want anything to do w/ solids till after a year old and others that accepted them off the bat at 5 months. You will know when your baby is ready cause he/she will not push you or the spoon away. No biggie if it takes longer cause all babies need is breast milk anyhow their first year of life. Anything else we give them is for our benefit not theirs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search