Starting solids?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
Hi Im new here and about to start my 5 month old dd on some Rice cereal! I was told by the doctor that I can start her a week ago but she had an ear infection so I figured I would wait until she was done with her meds. She will be done by Sunday and I was wondering how much you ladies started your little ones off with and how much a day! Also how did they do the first time and how old were they?

December 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Super Mommy
My son who's almost 8 months has zero interest in anything besides breastmilk. I try and try and have been trying since he was 5 months. He now knows what mommy is trying to do before I have the baby spoon out or food on my finger and closes up shop before I can even get to his mouth. I have tried rice cereal, tofu, numerous mushed fruits, sweet potato, oatmeal etc... Nada!
December 22nd, 2005, 09:00 AM
Melissa_A's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Melissa_A
I started Amelia out on rice cereal when she was a little over 5 months old. I started and she didn't seem ready so I stopped and retried in another week and she seemed a little better. I started her with just a tablespoon of rice cereal mixed with formula. It took her a couple weeks to actually understand how to eat it and she made a bunch of funny faces in the meantime. I gave her that for about 2 weeks, and then we moved on to stage 1 fruits. She got better and better each time. I started her on one meal a day usually around 4pm when I was done work so I knew I had the time to dedicate. We went through all the fruits, taking about 5-7 days on each, I gave her a little longer because she has had gastrointestinal problems and she is sensitve to new things. Then we went through stage 1 veggies the same way. After about 2 months, we moved up to stage 2 foods. I started with 1 meal a day, after about a month and a half I went up to two meals a day, and now she is 8.5 months and has 3 meals a day of stage 2 (4oz jars) (along with bottles). After that first time I stopped and restarted, I never stopped offering it to her. I was always as consistent as possible and gave it to her at the same time everyday, always in her highchair. She did really well with everything and sometimes doesn't seem to like some of the veggies but I will hold off and try it a few weeks later and seems to go better next time.
January 5th, 2006, 12:42 PM
tevinsangel
My son is almost 3 1/2 months old and has been eating rice cereal since a little before Christmas. He did take it off the spoon at about 2 months old, but he loved it so much he didnt want his formula anymore. So, shortly before Christmas he was always acting hungry even after a bottle, so I tried it again and he takes about 2 tbs of rice cereal mixed with 2 tbs of formula twice a day. He actually gets kind of mad when he sees the rest of the family eating, but he's a big guy..already at 15 pounds..so I figure he will just be a big eater like his daddy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search