Weening off formula...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2005, 06:21 AM
hope1976's Avatar Veteran
Kiara is going to be 11 months old on Christmas day. She doesn't eat food hardly at all - she goes through phases where she's into it, then she's not. Cereal is something she has NEVER liked. All she wants is her bottle!!! So, I tried doing the juice/water in the bottle so that she'd still be hungry and eat food - didn't work.

For awhile, she at squash and meat/veggie 3rd foods, but then she just plays with them. I tried giving her fruit puffs / cheerios, etc to see if maybe she wanted something more solid. She chokes on those (everytime). She's got one tooth. I just don't know what to do.

Should I be really concerned? When do I start giving her MILK to start weening her off formula? I never had these issues with Kaleb - he was really easy with any kind of change. We've tried a sippy cup also, but she's not into that at all either.

I have thought of getting a baby safe feeder / mesh feeder and putting food in there for her to chew on so she won't choke - does that help teach them how to "chew" their food instead of eating baby food where they don't have to chew?

Thanks in advance everyone
December 13th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Stefanie's Avatar Member
She only has 1 tooth? Then I wouldn't rush the harder foods.. It's going to be hard for her to eat them.. Try something like the Gerber Graduates little weiner things or maybe chicken noodle soup... Something like that.. As for the milk/formula question... At about 11 months, I started mixing about 2 oz. of milk with 6 oz. of formula every week so that my son wouldn't get constipated from the fast transition. But talk to the pediatrician and see what kind of milk she should drink.. My son has to drink whole milk.. Then by about 12 months, or maybe before, she should be drinking straight milk.. And about the sippy cups and all that.. Try one of the Nuby sillicone spout sippys.. They are great! You can also buy cups with straws at Family Dollar.. That's where mine came from.. It doesn't leak and they are great! My son was easily weaned.. You have it harder! I woke up one morning and gave him a bottle and after that, never gave him another,, He never cried for it or anythng! But yeah, give her food that will disentegrate fast in her mouth.. Try something like tiny pieces of bread that will soften once they get wet... Or like I said, some sort of soft noodles.. Good Luck!
December 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM
hope1976's Avatar Veteran
She JUST had her 2nd tooth pop through on the bottom. I tried again last night with little pieces of macaroni, but she gagged on that also. She even gags on the Gerber Fruit Puffs that dissolve.

Last night, she finally wrapped her lips around the spout of one of the many different sippy cups we have We have 4 different types...we didn't realize it was going to be so difficult because our 4 year old, Kaleb, was really easy as well. Woke up one morning with no bottle and he was fine with it. He's a very easy going adjustable kid

I know the doc said that when we do start milk to give her Whole Milk only, and with our son, we didn't mix it with formula .... thanks for that tip to make it a little bit easier of a transition!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search