at what age did you introduce solids?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Veteran
Hi all, new to the board, four kids, youngest (2 mons., breastfed) coming up on her first growth spurt. in approx. three weeks. Wondering when you began your babies on solid food? I know mothers who begin early (3 mons.) and those who wait until almost a year. Also, what influenced your decision?
December 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At the minimum.... I mean, BARE minimum, 4 months. I'd wait longer than that. At least to 5 months, ideally, 6 months.

Solid foods during the first year are not for nutritional value, it's for practice. Any solid foods that they receive need to be in addition to their breastmilk/formula and not replacing it. The solid foods s hould be offered AFTER they have nursed/had a bottle. Growth spurts are not indicators that a child is ready/needs solid foods. Also, giving cereal to an infant does not mean that an infant will sleep through the night. That is a myth.

Good indicators that your infant is ready for solids is when they can sit up, and it's really important that they have lost the tongue thrust reflex.

I also recommend these two links
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

I see your little one is only 2 months old, so I'd wait another 3 months at the least.
December 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
our ped. said it was okm to start cereal @ 4 months.....she did fine, the tongue thrust was gone, and now she eats just about everything @ 6 months !
i use an older baby book which also says 3-4 months. I believe if your baby is ready and does ok with it, then try it.

BUT Formula or breast milk should be the main source of nutrition

December 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hunter was 7 months when he started to eat solids. I personaly would not feed a baby under 6 months solids. Babies under 6 months have a "open gut" which goes away around 6 months of age. Also, cereal is a filler food. There really isn't any nutrition in it. I only used it in runny baby food.
December 24th, 2008, 05:58 AM
MomOfWar's Avatar Mom to 2 human hurricanes
Every baby is different, and I think you have to make adjustments to the hardline rule of "No solids until 6 months" for your particular situation in some cases. Here's ours: Ronan started rice cereal in his bottle at 2-1/2 months on the advice of our pediatrician because he was drinking SO MUCH formula and gaining a lot of weight quickly. He already weighed 15 lbs by then! Up until a couple weeks ago had been drinking 35-40 ounces a day! I introduced fruits and veggies when he was just over 4 months old because the rice cereal in the bottle was no longer doing the job, and he was still eating like a horse...and gaining weight even faster. At 6 months, he's almost 23 pounds now. He's now down to 4 bottles a day (at a more manageable 28-32 ounces) and eats two solid meals a day (a whole container of Gerber Organics stage 1 fruits or veggies at each sitting).
December 28th, 2008, 10:48 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we started when Kyla was 51/2 months old. i would def wait till at least 5 months old.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

December 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Veteran
we will be starting between 6-8 months. So if cereal is just a filler, does that mean I can skip it and go straight to the veggie purees? Im not to keen on the idea of cereal for some reason?
January 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
we will be starting between 6-8 months. So if cereal is just a filler, does that mean I can skip it and go straight to the veggie purees? Im not to keen on the idea of cereal for some reason?[/b]
Yes, you can absolutely skip it! Many parents skip it as it is not necessary.
January 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
HunterandLandonsmom's Avatar Super Mommy
With my oldest, at 5 months. With my youngest 4.5 months. I really wanted to wait until at least 5 months this second time, but he too was always hungry. So, he has had a little cereal and some veggies so far

January 9th, 2009, 06:51 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i will be starting after she turns 6 months as recommended by the WHO. even though she seems interested when she sees someone eating, i decided not to start early b/c i know she nutritionally doesn't need solids during the first year. but after 6 months i think it will good practice for her so she can staret getting used to different tastes and textures of foods.
i am starting with avocado and sweet potatoes & will be skipping the cereal. it is a filler and not needed - my pediatrician said that i don't have to give any to her. i will make some baby cereal myself to use to thicken the baby food i make for her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search