Table Food

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenniferk
I've started giving my daughter some table foods, like toast, green beans, etc. Her pediatrician gave me a list of foods, but it seems like everything I look at contradicts one thing or another! I am getting so confused. What are you guys giving your little ones at that age?
February 6th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Grace is getting all sorts of table food! She still doesn't have teeth, so we're having to break things up into little pieces, but she loves to self-feed!

She is getting:
small bits of cooked chicken
cooked spaghetti noodles
cooked carrots
peas
green beans
yogurt (plain, mixed with fruit - we feed this to her but it's not baby food so I listed it!)
bananas
avocado
lasagna (pretty much just the noodles, i lightly scraped off the other stuff)
mashed potatoes (real ones, not from a mix)
rice
beans
lettuce (small pieces)
tiny pieces of grapes (i take off the peel and cut the inside pieces up into several little pieces)
broccoli
gerber puffs, cereal snackin squares, and crackers
cheerios
small blueberries

I am drawing a blank on other ideas!

We are NOT giving her anything fried, and she has not tried anything with corn or soy in it yet (due to my own allergies) She has never had cow's milk, cheese, tomatoes, citrus, etc before... we're trying to be careful of allergies just in case!
February 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Regular
I have an 18 month on old and he is still trying new foods all the time. meatballs are great, b/c they have lots of protein and are soft enough for even little babies to gum down. i like to steam broccoli really well and put butter on it - it gets really mushy so that would be good for you too. i think as long as you avoid eggs and nuts until they are older than one you are OK to try lots of stuff.

my son was actually quite picky but i recently found this great DVD about teaching young kids to eat and he is trying all sorts of kid-friendly food. they have lots of good ideas for kids starting to eat a variety of stuff. the kids on the DVD are all eating and enjoying the foods, and my son was so into it. now he is willing to try some things he wan't before. there are also feeding ideas on the DVD - i only watched it once so far so i can't remember all the young foods but i know there were a bunch - and a lot of time spent on fruits and veggies. anyway, thought that might help.

good luck!

ps - i found the DVD on amazon.com if you want to check it out. the company is called tinyguides.
February 10th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Natalies_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for posting this! I was all confused too! this helps us alot!
Tonight Natty had rice and apples chopped up.

</div>
February 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to FriendAim Send a message via Yahoo to FriendAim
Here is a list of what we have given Sydney as of 10 months

Bananas
Nectarines
Canned peaches (In light syrup)
Canned pears
small pieces of chicken
a couple pieces of fish
potatoes
peas
carrots
broccoli
apple sauce
green beans
noodles
she likes those gerber tv dinners. esp the ones with the ravioli and the pinwheel pasta
Mac & cheese

Most days she gets up and has a bottle. Takes a nap. Wakes up has a jar of 2 or 3 oatmeal, a banana and some fruit puffs or a wagon wheel puff, play time, 1/2 bottle, nap, puffs, 1/2 bottle, short nap, dinner of whatever we're eating or a jar of something or a gerber meal, puffs, bottle, bed. No juice yet. A little water during her meals. She's skinny but I don't think she's starving to death.
Joseph David arrived 2/4/10

February 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unless you have allergy issues, you can usually give your baby anything the family eats (making sure it's not in a chokable form, of course!) It's not really necessary to prepare special, separate foods for your baby. I think sometimes Moms make things harder than they need to be, LOL. Have fun with your little one and enjoy meals together.

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
February 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM
Regular
I had another idea i thought to share - it's more for the parent of a picky eater (i have 2) but it incorporates protein and carbs into a healthy meal that any child that eats eggs can eat. i started my son on it at 10 months:

take ramen noodles (the unflavored kind in the plastic wrap, not in the cup) and break them up well. boil them with the a little less than the appropriate water (on the package) and after about a minute crack an egg into the pot. stir until the egg breaks up (looks like egg drop soup from a chinese rest.). then add just enough chicken flavoring to get it to taste good (not the whole thing - too much sodium). turn off heat and let it sit for a few minutes covered, to absord the liquid. you can add any veggies your kids will eat too, like peas/carrots or broccoli.

nothing is successful all the time with my kids but this recipe is a big hit most of the time. i started my son on eggs at about 10 months but some doctors say you should wait for a year - personal choice.

anyway, hope this helps!
February 21st, 2006, 09:02 AM
Eka09M
Brinlee gets:

Diced green beans
Diced carrots
Diced apples
Diced peaches
Gerber meat sticks
Mashed Potatoes (real, not box mix)
Gerber Graduates Garden Mashers... the sweet potatoes and carrots are the best I think
Gerber Graduate Entrees
Pasta (just the noddles)
Toast
Bananas
Biter Biscuits
Zweiback toast
Puffs

She has had peas, but does not like them at all. There are a few other things she has had but HATES so I don't offer them much to her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search