hates to eat

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Regular
hi, this is my first post, and I really need some advice.

I have a 5 month old daughter who is really rejecting the bottle. Every feeding is a major battle. She eventually takes a few ounces, then starts crying and fighting again. She was born at 36 weeks and has always struggled with eating. We stopped breastfeeding at 4 weeks because she was not gaining enough weight, so I pumped and used an additive for extra calories - we needed to know her exact intake. The doctor says her weight now is just ok, but mealtime is just so frustrating for both of us.

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to make eating a better experience. (She now has about 20 oz a day and 2-3 table spoons of ceral and fruit or veggies. The Dr. recommends 24-32oz a day.)
February 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Regular
hi there,

i really hope i can make you feel better. my son was the worst with eating, and so was my daughter - both low in percentiles and and terrible eaters. my son was especially bad. he would reject the bottle completely and scream and the only way we could get him to take it was to bounce him around the room, walking, bouncing and singing while offering it to him. it was funny if you think about it, and pathetic. if your baby is getting 20 oz a day that is fine. neither of my kids ever took more in a day and they are healthy and happy 3, and one and a half year olds. people get so crazy about eating - and i did too. it used to ruin my day when he wouldn't take the bottle. but you just have to power through and as long as she is gaining weight and healthy then just realize that not every baby fits the perfect 24-32 oz standard and you will soon be past this stage.

lots of luck,

cass

Quote:

I have a 5 month old daughter who is really rejecting the bottle. Every feeding is a major battle. She eventually takes a few ounces, then starts crying and fighting again. She was born at 36 weeks and has always struggled with eating. We stopped breastfeeding at 4 weeks because she was not gaining enough weight, so I pumped and used an additive for extra calories - we needed to know her exact intake. The doctor says her weight now is just ok, but mealtime is just so frustrating for both of us.

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to make eating a better experience. (She now has about 20 oz a day and 2-3 table spoons of ceral and fruit or veggies. The Dr. recommends 24-32oz a day.)[/b]
February 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Regular
Thank you so much for your reply. Everyone I know has/had babies that love to eat. I just get concerned and nervous, since Kaeden is in the 8th percentile and still concidered "failure to thrive" even though she is healthy. (And she is my 1st) I will try walking around at her next feeding. Thanks again!! -- Katrina
Quote:
hi there,

i really hope i can make you feel better. my son was the worst with eating, and so was my daughter - both low in percentiles and and terrible eaters. my son was especially bad. he would reject the bottle completely and scream and the only way we could get him to take it was to bounce him around the room, walking, bouncing and singing while offering it to him. it was funny if you think about it, and pathetic. if your baby is getting 20 oz a day that is fine. neither of my kids ever took more in a day and they are healthy and happy 3, and one and a half year olds. people get so crazy about eating - and i did too. it used to ruin my day when he wouldn't take the bottle. but you just have to power through and as long as she is gaining weight and healthy then just realize that not every baby fits the perfect 24-32 oz standard and you will soon be past this stage.

lots of luck,

cass

Quote:

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to make eating a better experience. (She now has about 20 oz a day and 2-3 table spoons of ceral and fruit or veggies. The Dr. recommends 24-32oz a day.)[/b]
[/b]
February 8th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Regular
one more suggestion for you - one thing we tried with oliver was to put him on zantac for acid reflux. the thought was that the acid was rising in his throat when he drank the bottle and making him reject it. the zantac is pretty benign and he did seem to improve a bit on it. you have to give it every day for it to work. talk to your doctor - it's only available by prescription in the infant form. best of luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search