When to give the bottle

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
Today was day 3 of eating cereal. The first 2 times I gave her the cereal before the bottle, because I didn't want her to fill up on the bottle and lose interest in the cereal. The whole time she cried in between bites, until finally she wouldn't stop crying until she got the bottle. Today I gave her the bottle first and waited an hour before giving her the cereal. So she wouldn't be starving but not too full either. She was much more pleasant during the feeding. She started crying in between bites though, but I don't know if it was because she didn't like it or because she wasn't getting it quick enough. She'd cry, stop when I gave her a bite, then start fussing again until she got another bite. If she didn't want it why would she keep opening her mouth for it? She's confusing me! She ate more today than she did the first 2 times. I just can't tell whether she likes it or hates it because of the crying in between bites. The first 2 days I'm pretty sure she was hungry and crying for the bottle.

Last edited by TrinitysMommy; March 26th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
March 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sounds to me like she is not ready. i would wait a week or 2 then try again. she is only 4 months old and still very small. i introduced solids at 5 1/2 months old and Kyla only really starting enjoying them when she turned 61/2 months old. so i would wait a while then try again.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

March 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
here is a link on delayoing solids its worht a look kellymom.com :: Why Delay Solids?
and another on is your baby ready for solids
kellymom.com :: When will baby be ready for solid foods?
please have a look.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

March 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd wait until closer to 6 months before trying solids. I would have linked you to the above kellymom site if I made it here first

When it is time for you to start solids, it's still important that formula/breastmilk is the main source of nutrition in your little one's diet. You should give the bottle before solids to be sure that your little one doesn't fill up on the solids (not much nutrition) and not get the formula (nutrition).

What I do is give a bottle, wait 30-45 minutes (sometimes an hour, hour and a half, just depends), then give solids.

During the first year, eating solids is only for practice, not nutrition.
March 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
I was trying to give her a few days to show improvement before I call it a lost cause. She was much more content today than the first 2. I'll check out that info though. I definitely don't wanna keep giving it to her if she's not ready.

March 26th, 2009, 11:27 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I would give the bottle first, then cereal later...
Katie cried with her first cereal too...rice.....we switched to oatmeal and she was fine. That was at 4 months...with our peds ok.

it is possible she isn't quite ready yet.... you could discontinue solids for a few weeks and try again. It is up to you !

good luck and keep us posted !

I would give the bottle first, then cereal later...
Katie cried with her first cereal too...rice.....we switched to oatmeal and she was fine. That was at 4 months...with our peds ok.

it is possible she isn't quite ready yet.... you could discontinue solids for a few weeks and try again. It is up to you !

good luck and keep us posted !

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search