Solids

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Hello My names Amy and just thought I'd stop by and see what everyone has to say about my DD...She is 10 months old and refuse's to eat solids. She didn't get rid of her tounge thrust till she was about 6 months. Ive been trying solids ever since jan when she turned 6 months and really wants nothing to do with them. Ive tried EVERYTHING From Oatmeal, Rice cereals to solids in stage 1s and a few stage 2's to Puff's and Yogurt bites, to fruit in a mesh feeder....EVERYTHING...And as soon as the spoon comes near her she Locks up shut. About 2 weeks ago I actually got her to eat half a jar a day for a little over a week. I was so excited and thought this was It!!! And now she's gone back to her old ways but even worst this time. Before I could get her to eat pears and peaches in the mesh feeder this time all she does is scream and cry and throw a tantrum. She hates her high chair. Ive even tried different places to feed her, Bumbo, sitting on the floor, etc...I dont know what to do? Ive heard that If babies dont start eating by the time there a year old they have speech delays and other problems. Have you ever heard of babies that do this or dont eat food before a year old? She's been teething forever and still is but you think she'd be used to that by now. My Peid just says It's ok and we'll wait till she's a year old but Im worried..... HELP!!!!
April 21st, 2009, 11:16 PM
brynns_momma's Avatar Veteran
I've heard that some babies eat solids better on an emptier stomach and some on a full.....have you tried both yet? Maybe feed her milk after trying solids? Or maybe try giving her something to distract her while you feed her? I'm just guessing...but i hope it helps!!
April 21st, 2009, 11:42 PM
Tryed that too. After she wakes Ive let her play a little knowing she's hungry and Ill try to give her some food soon after and It's almost worst cause she's so hungry that she wants that bottle. Then Ive tryed in between bottle's, which was when she was eating half the jar...and now nothing.
April 22nd, 2009, 06:02 AM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
When you give her the puffs, do you feed them to her, Amy? Would she do better if there wasn't a spoon involved, like if she could pick up the food and feed herself? Ben is a pretty good eater, but sometimes he just doesn't want me near him with that spoon, so I just give him finger foods on those days.
If she won't take them any way, I guess I'd just keep trying and don't force her to eat them. I found this Q&A page, if you scroll down there is a post like "10 Month Old Still won't take Food". It sounds like other parents have been through this, and their kids did eventually take to solids. Hang in there, Amy! She'll surprise you one day by going crazy over foods!!

Berkeley Parents Network: Refusing Solids at 10-12 Months

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
April 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i agree with misfitmom would she not do better feeding herself.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

April 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
regina06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Amy i feel so bad for Cambria. I know you keep wondering about this in the PR and i feel so bad that she wont eat solids yet. It makes me wonder what it could be. I wish i could help but i just dont know. Have you tried to make her laugh or in some way to have her mouth open then stick the spoon full of food in her mouth when its open and she doesnt know that its comming. I know we have do this that Noah sometimes cuz he doesnt want to eat veggies or the stage 3 meat and once we have it in his mouth then he will eat it but of course he cant know its comming.
April 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks girls....It's just so frustrating. I have friends with babys Cambrias age eating tons of food and then when Im on JM all the babies are eating so that just worries me more. THANK YOU Sarah for posting that!!!!!! I could never find anything like that and have been looking for stories from people going through then same thing FOREVER. After reading that I feel so so much better! Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!! Also I have been giving her puffs, yogart bites, etc for her to "play" with on her tray but she doesn't really have that pincher grasp yet. She just plays around with it. None goes into her mouth. She was eating/sucking out of the mesh feeder but now refuses it. Even with Ice In It.

Regina Ive tried all the tricks in getting her to open her mouth but they really dont work and when they do I sneak it in and she spit's it back out..She's only liked the bisquits a couple times but now those aren't good to her...

Thanks girls....It's just so frustrating. I have friends with babys Cambrias age eating tons of food and then when Im on JM all the babies are eating so that just worries me more. THANK YOU Sarah for posting that!!!!!! I could never find anything like that and have been looking for stories from people going through then same thing FOREVER. After reading that I feel so so much better! Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!! Also I have been giving her puffs, yogart bites, etc for her to "play" with on her tray but she doesn't really have that pincher grasp yet. She just plays around with it. None goes into her mouth. She was eating/sucking out of the mesh feeder but now refuses it. Even with Ice In It.

Regina Ive tried all the tricks in getting her to open her mouth but they really dont work and when they do I sneak it in and she spit's it back out..She's only liked the bisquits a couple times but now those aren't good to her...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search