New to food

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hello,

My daugher turns 4 months on June 8. I've started her on Rice Cereal at night to help her sleep a little better. Yes I know I started the Rice Cereal a little early, I read up on it though and felt my daughter was ready. I only feed it to her at night to help her sleep a little and fill her up. She went from sleeping through the night to getting up at 3AM.
However, she still seems to be always hungry. It doesn't matter how much I feed her, she seems to be always hungry. She is strictly breastfed and I'm starting to worry it's perhaps not enough. Even after a long feeding she's got her hands in her mouth and she's vocal. She doesn't cry, but she "talks", loudly. My baby NEVER talks, or makes noise for that matter. So I don't know if she's just discovering her voice, or if she's trying to say she's hungry. Do any experienced mommies know what to do? I'm lost and don't know what to do for her. On the 8th I'm going to start feeding her Rice Cereal for breakfast and supper, no actual foods until she's 5 months.

Thanks for the advice!!

May 31st, 2009, 10:31 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi, it sounds to me like the distractible 4 month stage. please read this. it would explain a lot.
kellymom.com ::Wakeful 4 Month Olds by Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

May 31st, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hm. Thank you so much for that link. It makes a lot of sense. She now sleeps through the night, she happens to love her rice cereal. She's still super hungry during the day but that makes sense, she does love looking at the TV and of course her daddy. Oh the eyes she has for her daddy. But thank you very much

May 31st, 2009, 07:52 PM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
The hands in the mouth as a signal for hunger becomes less reliable as babies get a little older. She may be beginning to teeth and this is a really big age for discovering things with her mouth. It's important to let her explore by putting things in her mouth (hands and toys, etc) because this is the way that babies use their senses. As for the "yelling", also totally normal. I doubt it is always because she is hungry - she is probably finding her voice and this is the very very early beginnings of "talking"...her yells will turn into clearer sounds like "ahh goo" and things like that and that's just the normal path to talking.

I wouldn't say that your breastmilk isn't enough for her unless she isn't having sufficient wet/dirty diapers.

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
May 31st, 2009, 11:07 PM
Thank you so much Makes me feel so much better. Perhaps I was just overly concerned but thank you for the re-assurance

June 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
I have discovered that just when I think I have this mommy thing down to a science, my babe switches everything up on me! That's why I love JM!

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search