BLW

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM
~Valerie~
Who here is doing or did that with their LO?
Where can I find more info about it?
September 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
Me!!!! It's awesome and I love it! You can check out Baby Led Weaning - Home it is a little bare right now but there is a link on the first page with a lot of good information. You can also check out the book by Gill Rapley and on the aforementioned site you can register and talk to all of the wonderful knowledgeable ladies that are always happy to talk about it and give help, and share their experiences. I sent in a request here for a BLW group but never heard back... Let me know how it goes and if you do it I don't know anyone around who does it (most of the people I know of who do are in the UK... *sigh*). Hope that helps! Let me know if you want to know anything more
September 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
~Valerie~
Thank you so much. I'll make sure to check that website tonight when the LO's are in bed
September 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
Ugh, I wish there was more on the site now that I look at it. Also google a bit and you should be able to find some good blogs that are nice to read. More the girls on the first if you wander to the forum are great to talk to. I would write more but I can go on for days about it... It gets me really excited. Also, check youtube for videos and such they are neat to watch if you are interested. Just do a search for Baby Led Weaning on there.
September 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
~Valerie~
So I'm guessing everything needs to be steamed of cooked right so it's not too hard?
What about apples, I would that work?
I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on how food needs to be prepared
September 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM
For the most part yeah. A good test to be able to tell if they can mush it up on their own I heard was if you can smash it up on the roof of your mouth with your tongue then they can gum it totally fine. It's really all trial and error though getting it to a good point. Also it takes a little creativity sometimes to make it more baby friendly to handle until their motor skills improve. If you can make anything chip shaped or stick shaped that works great. In the beginning you want to try to make sure there is food coming out of their hand, they won't really be able to get at the food in their hand quite yet so they will be going after what is sticking out. If there isn't much or anything sticking out, they can't get anything...

I have given him things that are probably a little bit harder at time than I would like them to be and he still manages. I've given him bananas that have been split into three the long way, gave him a strip of steak, hardboiled egg yolk, various shapes of pasta, steamed carrot and broccoli...

A lot of people love rice cakes and spread cream cheese or avocado and what not on them. It just takes a little creativity sometimes You can also give loaded spoons for foods you would normally eat with a spoon, just fill one up and let them take it from you. Sometimes my son will guide my hand with it to his mouth, sometimes he will go and eat off it, other times he will grab the spoon and try to do it all on his own.

If you would like you can also search Baby Led Weaning on Youtube and watch some videos of kids in action. First Foods AKA "Oh, is that good?" on Flickr - Photo Sharing! Here is a video with a baby eating some different things for the first time. Just make sure there is as little sugar or salt added as possible (obviously). If you would like some recipes from others who do BLW there are some here... Baby Led Weaning • View forum - Recipes The muffins and flapjacks I hear are pretty popular, I have yet to try any of these though. Most I think are baby friendly and I think some are just random recipes (I saw a mug cake there, I don't know how good that would be for a baby )
September 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM
~Valerie~
That video is great!
September 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I just realized that your son's birthday is the day after my son's!
September 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
~Valerie~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ...Aimee... View Post
I just realized that your son's birthday is the day after my son's!
I just noticed that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search