Giving solids for the first time - lots of questions!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2009, 03:16 PM
n/a
First I would like to say HI FIONA! I had no idea this board existed until I saw the link in your siggy

My son recently turned 5 months and I wanted to start feeding him solids soon (at 6 months). I have no idea how to do this and am kind of freaking out about it (sad, huh? lol). My questions are:

What do I start with. Rice cereal? Oatmeal? Other cereal? Do I give it to him in a bowl or feed it to him in a bottle?

When do I introduce fruit/veggies? As in, can I right away or should I wait a week or something after I start the cereal?

How much cereal? How often? How much fruit/veggies? How often?

When do I introduce a new food? Do I only give him one food for a week and then introduce another? I seem to remember reading something like that.

Are there are vitamins or something I need to give him? Fluoride drops or vitamin D? I think the ped will discuss this with us at his 6 month appt, but I am feeling overwhelmed.

What about water? Do you give you baby water? In a sippy cup? I read somewhere a 6 month old should use a sippy cup. I thought only bigger kids did that not babies.

Last question - what time of day should I offer him solids? Right now he wakes to eat around 5am, is up for the day at 7 or 9, and then he will not eat again until 11. He just isn't hungry no matter how much I try.

If anyone can answer any or all of my questions I would be most grateful. I am getting all weird about my baby growing up Too bad the booby isn't always enough.
November 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Veteran
I'll share how we did things. My daughter is 9mo old, and breastfed as well. We started solids at 6mo also.

What do I start with. Rice cereal? Oatmeal? Other cereal? Do I give it to him in a bowl or feed it to him in a bottle? I skipped cereal all together, and started with bananas, followed by sweet potatoes.

When do I introduce fruit/veggies? As in, can I right away or should I wait a week or something after I start the cereal?
A good rule of thumb is to wait 4-5 days between new foods, so you can catch an allergy or negative reaction. Some people think you should go with veggies first. I am not sure it really matters.

How much cereal? How often? How much fruit/veggies? How often? I can't help you with the cereal question, since we didnt use it. I made Brianna's food, and started her off with up to an ounce at dinner of fruit and veggie (one frozen cube is ~an ounce). I would recommend you start slow, so his body can adjust. Maybe not even everyday. He will let you know. I always fed her about an hour after she nursed.

When do I introduce a new food? Do I only give him one food for a week and then introduce another? I seem to remember reading something like that.
this is a good idea, so you can identify a problem food.

Are there are vitamins or something I need to give him? Fluoride drops or vitamin D? I think the ped will discuss this with us at his 6 month appt, but I am feeling overwhelmed. This depends on your diet, the climate of where you live (does he get any sun), and the type of water in the area.

What about water? Do you give you baby water? In a sippy cup? I read somewhere a 6 month old should use a sippy cup. I thought only bigger kids did that not babies. Brianna just started drinking water a few weeks ago. She drinks out of a straw cup (made by Playtex). She got off the bottle at 7 months (she gets EBM when I am at work). She did not like a sippy cup, but took to the straw cup like a champ. If you are BFing, he doesn't necessarily need water for hydration, but small sips here and there at his age, may help him practice using a cup.

Last question - what time of day should I offer him solids? Right now he wakes to eat around 5am, is up for the day at 7 or 9, and then he will not eat again until 11. He just isn't hungry no matter how much I try.
He must be feeling very fulfilled on mommy's milk. I found Brianna was most receptive to solids in the evening when everyone else was revving up to eat. What time of day is he most alert and playful?

I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck, and have the video camera ready :-)
November 22nd, 2009, 05:06 AM
*Fiona*
Hello chickie

Don't feel stressed by it as your stress will spill over to Jack. Just go by Jack's flow and take things at his pace. If he doesn't manage the first day, it's ok, just try again the next day, etc. Kirsty still has bad days with eating, but I've found if I get frustrated it makes her very stubborn and she refuses even more! My thinking now is, if she is hungry, she will eat!

What do I start with. Rice cereal? Oatmeal? Other cereal? Do I give it to him in a bowl or feed it to him in a bottle?
The way I did it was give milk for breakfast, milk for lunch then about 30-60mins afterwards a little taste of solids - spoonfeed, not in a bottle.
Basically, start with whatever you feel is right for Jack, lots of people start with rice, I did for a few days then I moved Kirsty onto pear. I felt better about feeding her things I make myself.

There's a few foods which can contribute to constipation: rice, apple, carrot, banana. That's not to say they will cause constipation, but just so you are aware. With beginning solids, he is bound to suffer a bit of constipation - he's had a liquid diet all his life so far. It's a big change.

This is up to you, if you wanted to skip rice cereal and go to fuirt/veg, try it and see how Jack does with it.

How much cereal? How often? How much fruit/veggies? How often?
To beging with he will only need 1-2 tsps, which christy is right in saying is approx 1 ice cube amount if you wanted to cook & freeze things (easier to freeze in ice cube trays as it's perfect portion sizes!)

To begin with only offer foods once per day. Once he seems to be coping fine with that you can increase to twice a day, then three times a day, and from there start increasing the portion sizes offered.

I did it in week blocks, week 1 was lunch only,week 2 was breakfast & evening dinner (so Kirsty's tummy had a milk feed in between and had a rest), week 3 was breakfast, lunch & dinner. You don't have to do it as quick as this though, Jack will only take what he is hungry for so if he doesn't want to increase, that's fine, wait a few days and try again.

I was advised to try a new food no less than every 2 days, some people wait longer, again go by Jack and how you feel.

Are there are vitamins or something I need to give him? Fluoride drops or vitamin D? I think the ped will discuss this with us at his 6 month appt, but I am feeling overwhelmed.
I can't really comment on this... in the UK no such supplements are discussed or advised. I would ask your ped first. Remember milk is his main source of nutrition... therefore he shouldn't need anything extra.

What about water? Do you give you baby water? In a sippy cup? I read somewhere a 6 month old should use a sippy cup. I thought only bigger kids did that not babies.
I started offering Kirsty a cup at around 5 months, it took her a long time to master it which is quite normal, the flow and sucking action is very different to that of breast/bottle. Try him with one! Use cooled, boiled water so you know it is safe. If he struggles with a cup, try giving him it to play with whilst it is empty, so he can explore it during funtime then he can get the hang of it.

I think I answered this in the how much/how often section That's fine if he has a decent gap between, remember to start with, solids aren't a meal, just a taste.

I hope some of this helps, but do come back and let us know how he is doing I can't believe Jack is 5 months already, it's really quite frightening how fast time flies!!! Kirsty is almost 10 months... How did that happen!!!
November 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
n/a
Thank you both so much for the responses. I think when I do start I will start offering him some food in the late afternoon or evenings when he is most alert. I will be sure to record it on video too!

Fiona, time is flying by way too fast I am happy for him since growth is good, but still! Wah
November 23rd, 2009, 01:45 AM
*Fiona*
Michelle, one thing I will say... for a week or so, I would avoid offering it too late in the evening, just incase it disagrees with Jack, you don't want it to disrupt him through the night. I tended to only offer new foods at lunchtime and keep known "ok foods" for dinners!
November 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
n/a
That's a good idea Fi, I will start around lunchtime then

I luv your new siggie!
November 24th, 2009, 03:01 AM
*Fiona*
Why thank you! Yours is sweet too "growing like a weed" I say that all the time about Kirsty!!
November 24th, 2009, 05:25 AM
ANGWife
I'm not an expert but I will tell you what we have done!

What do I start with. Rice cereal? Oatmeal? Other cereal? Do I give it to him in a bowl or feed it to him in a bottle? We started with rice cereal. He was given one serving a day for 2 weeks, then 2 servings a day. Then we moved to oatmeal. If he accepts a spoon okay, I wouldn't give in the bottle. He needs to learn to feed from a spoon.

Henry has veggies first for about 2 weeks (we started him at 4 months). IMO the rice cereal is just to get him use to taking a spoon. You can also gradually mix the cereal with the veggie/fruit.

How much cereal? How often? How much fruit/veggies? How often? At first it was 3TB cereal to 1TB water. We fed one serving a day for 2 weeks. Then we fed 2 servings a day. When we introduced veggies, he was given 2oz veggie at one serving and 1 serving of the cereal at another time. At almost 7 months old, he now has 3oz fruit in the AM, serving of oatmeal at lunch time, and 3oz of veggie in the PM.

Alot of books and people will tell you to wait at least 1-2 weeks before introducing another food. I didn't follow that. When I give a new food I wait 2-3 days.

Are there are vitamins or something I need to give him? Fluoride drops or vitamin D? I think the ped will discuss this with us at his 6 month appt, but I am feeling overwhelmed. I can't give any suggestions here because we FF

What about water? Do you give you baby water? In a sippy cup? I read somewhere a 6 month old should use a sippy cup. I thought only bigger kids did that not babies. Henry stated a sippy cup about 3 weeks ago. I put a small amount of cold water. I took the no-spill plug out of the cup and it drips out the spout for him. I think you should use one early just as practice.

Last question - what time of day should I offer him solids? Right now he wakes to eat around 5am, is up for the day at 7 or 9, and then he will not eat again until 11. He just isn't hungry no matter how much I try. Again, alot of reading will tell you to feed solids first. Henry doesn't work that way. He gets really frustrated if he can suck when he's hungry. So I feed a bottle then wait about 2 hrs and he loves to eat his solids.
November 25th, 2009, 10:48 AM
n/a
Thanks Morgan! I like the idea of taking the plug out of the sippy cup.
November 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM
*Fiona*
It is a good way of helping them learn that there is liquid in the cup. Once he learns to suck from the sippy, you can re-plug and save soaking everywhere Kirsty likes to wave her cup in the air I love sippy cups with valves

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search