Help with Getting an 11 Month Old on Finger Foods

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Carissa's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to Carissa Send a message via AIM to Carissa Send a message via MSN to Carissa Send a message via Yahoo to Carissa
Hi,

My name is Carissa and my LO is Aiyana (12/23/2008). She is a big healthy girl and gaining weight - approximately 25 lbs). Early disclaimer: I am celiac, it runs in the family; and my baby hasn't had had her genetic test for celiac or eaten gluten yet.

We have had a slow start with regards to solids. I started her on time at 5.5 months on rice cereal. And at 6 months started her with some other solids. Around the time her separation anxiety started kicking in, I got lazy with feeding her solids and just breastfed her and gave her rice cereal in the morning.

When Aiyana was around 9 months old, my good friend (who has a baby 11 months older than Ai) kicked me in the butt and got me to start feeding Aiyana more regularly. We've made our way up to 3 meals a day now.

She is on "chunky" purées (Heinz stage 2 (Junior)) and she can eat Mum Mums. The thing with finger foods is that she still uses a fist-grasp to pick them up. Once she eats her way down to her fist, she can't figure out that there is more left in her fist or how to get it out.

I tried today grating a carrot using the large holes on the grater and putting a large pile of grated carrot on her tray. She played with the grated carrot, but I don't think any got in the mouth. I even tried to eat some off her tray to show her it was food, but no go.

She's about on par with the rest of her skills.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give with helping her figure out finger foods.

November 22nd, 2009, 03:27 AM
*Fiona*
Kirsty had the same issues, she'd fist pick-up foods and couldn't get the hang of getting it into her mouth. Then she progressed to using all fingers & thumbs to pick foods up but wouldn't let it go in her mouth so she'd put the food in then take it back out She has only just started managing to get the whole process...

biggest advice, just keep giving her chunks on her tray to practice with. Everyday I would give Kirsty a few chunks at each mealtime, and it took her about 1-2 weeks but she got it.
November 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM
Sweetie Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Evan is much younger than Aiyana but he gets some finger foods on his tray after luch and dinner and is gradually getting the hang of picking things up 'properly' and eating them

some days he just plays with the foods and some days he tosses it off his high chair to the dogs but I figure in time he will get there and if I keep up the momentum he will realise its food for eating

I used to give Evan his finger foods while I spoon fed him but we soon stopped that as he got so engrossed in them he stopped opening his mouth for the spoon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search