WIC approved baby foods

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
I am not sure what WIC (women, infants and children) is like in other states. But here in PA its like this.... you get 32 jars of food a month. They must be stage 2 foods and they must be just fruits and veggies.. no meats unless you are breastfeeding.

Donovan is on stage 3 foods plus table foods. He won't eat much of the stage 2 baby food. I am not sure why WIC has the rule set like it is.

What is WIC like in your area?
November 25th, 2009, 04:10 AM
*Fiona*
I really cannot comment on this as I live in the UK, we don't have anything like that - at least I'm not aware of it!

I hope someone else can chime in and help!!
November 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
I have WIC and I'm really not sure about what we get, tons of jars it seems as we have a whole lot of checks for them but I don't buy them. I don't feed my son baby food he has only ever been given table food. I asked WIC if they could do any kind of substitution like put him on the toddler (over one year old) program but they said no. I think WIC just thinks you're an idiot and don't know how to feed your child properly so they make really rigid guidelines with that assumption. Just my personal opinion and that of some other people I know who are also on the program... Whatever... Anyway... I will have to take a look at the checks and see what they say and I'll let you know.
November 28th, 2009, 03:21 AM
*Fiona*
Sounds like it has its good and bad points. It's a shame you can't swap it for toddler foods though, that seems a little bizarre!
November 28th, 2009, 05:34 AM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
Hi, I work for WIC and I can assure you that (at least in my area) we do not think anyone is an idiot who doesn't know how to feed their child. The problem is, we are regulated by the federal/state government, so while sometimes in conversation/appointments, it may seem like we're treating you like you're an idiot, some of the questions/conversations we are REQUIRED by the program to ask.

The program recently switched food packages - baby foods were previously not included so this is actually an improvement to how the program used to be. Unfortunately, it would be pretty complicated to change the type/consistency of baby food based on the child's age, because not all children develop the same way once they transition to solids. What I would recommend is buying the food and incorporating it into a solid food diet. You can make muffins with baby food carrots/sweet potatoes/applesauce - and give those to him as he progresses more toward table foods. You can mix veggies in with ground up meat if he's having that, or stir some in with a spaghetti sauce.

I know it's a lot of jars of baby food, but if you get creative, you can modify it to the needs of your baby who has moved beyond the totally pureed stuff. I hope that helps a little bit! Most WIC agencies just want to help, but sometimes our hands are tied and we can't just change your food package because we get audited by the state/federal gov't.

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
November 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I have mixed the fruit into pancakes. And I do add cereal into some of his baby foods. I just wish they did it like they did with the way we can get $6 worth of veggies/fruits for the older kids. like if we could get a certain dollar amt of baby food
November 30th, 2009, 01:38 AM
*Fiona*
Thanks for posting that Sara. Being in the UK, I know nothing about this. But it sounds like Sara has offered a few great suggestions.... and for me personally, I would never have thought to add the veggies/fruits to other foods I don't often buy jars of food as I tend to home cook with me being at home, but at times I have bought jars. I may buy more now though to make things with!
December 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
What I said is just how they seem to come across here. It's not so much the questions which I assumed they are told to ask but the attitude they give off. I just know that several women in my area have gotten the same feeling based on how some of the WIC people here present themselves. I hope I didn't offend you...
December 2nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
yeah Aimee it might just be the area you are in. I know the WIC ladies here are nice and talk to you about stuff.
December 2nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
Oh, I don't offend easily! No worries - I am sure there are plenty of areas where they aren't nice! That's really too bad they make you feel that way, though.

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
December 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't mind the baby food as such, I can just cook it with other things, like Sara said, or mix it with other flavors to create something new, but the Rice cereal! OMG they give you so much of the darn stuff and it's nasty. What do you do with that?

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

June 10th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
Hi, I work for WIC and I can assure you that (at least in my area) we do not think anyone is an idiot who doesn't know how to feed their child. The problem is, we are regulated by the federal/state government, so while sometimes in conversation/appointments, it may seem like we're treating you like you're an idiot, some of the questions/conversations we are REQUIRED by the program to ask.

The program recently switched food packages - baby foods were previously not included so this is actually an improvement to how the program used to be. Unfortunately, it would be pretty complicated to change the type/consistency of baby food based on the child's age, because not all children develop the same way once they transition to solids. What I would recommend is buying the food and incorporating it into a solid food diet. You can make muffins with baby food carrots/sweet potatoes/applesauce - and give those to him as he progresses more toward table foods. You can mix veggies in with ground up meat if he's having that, or stir some in with a spaghetti sauce.

I know it's a lot of jars of baby food, but if you get creative, you can modify it to the needs of your baby who has moved beyond the totally pureed stuff. I hope that helps a little bit! Most WIC agencies just want to help, but sometimes our hands are tied and we can't just change your food package because we get audited by the state/federal gov't.

Diana in az on wic program replying to a few of the comments on site.
actually the main reason wic doesnt allow 3rd stage baby foods is because 3rd stage baby foods,dinners they have alot of additives and fillers that are not nutriotionally sound like potato and a potato without the skin is just empty calories.and stage 2 offers more variety and most stage 2 baby foods have almost no additives but water. also the reason wic does not allow stage one is because stage 1 only offers single vairety exclusivly.also stage 1 and stage 2 have almost the same consistancy and in some cases exactly the same. compare the calories of stage 2 and stage 3 youll see that the higher is stage 2.I only wish wic allowed dha enhanced baby foods but i guess being fairly new still under study.also the reason wic does not offer organic is due to price...alot more expensive and would limit amount wic participants can recieve I personally live in az and i recieve 2 wic checks for 64 baby foods each although in jars or plastic not specified either 3.5 or 4 oz and i recieve 2 of them so thats alot. I get in total 7 canisters of similac advance in the 12.9 cans,although other wic moms recieve the 23 oz cans and 10 of them which i am going to ask why they recieve more then I when we get the same brand and have the same circumstances.not that im complaining as this is a free resource paid by tax payers and i am very appreciative of this program as it helps stretch food dollers.and as for the reason why breast fed infants recieve twice as much baby food and baby food meats its an incentive to keep breast feeding before they offered tuna to breastfeeding moms they still do but double the amount and now offer salmon.And breast fed infants do not recieve formula so i think thats fair.Also wic offers fresh fruits and veggies to moms and older chldren and infants maybe try making homemade baby food many websites teach how.I think wic is doing a wonderful job in insuring healthy familys for low income and hopefully they will be adding dha fortified baby foods and juicesgoodpost:
June 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
Wow. AZ gives a hell of a lot more than TN. We get 8 12oz cans of Good Start and a TOTAL of 32 4oz jars of baby food... and it's single ingredient only - which limits us to applesauce, carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, green beans, peaches, pears and bananas. No combinations like oatmeal and apples or turkey and gravy. Mothers don't get anything at all after 6 months.

We also get 3 boxes of baby cereal so we've been looking for recipes to make. A friend found a great recipe for biter biscuits that uses a jar of baby food, some cereal and then, I think, water and something else... pipe it out on wax paper and bake it. We used mixed grain cereal and applesauce then tossed them in the freezer. They're rather bland but I suppose they should be for biter biscuits. Annabelle loves them and that's all that matters.

Edited to add:
Here's what gets me: Every 6 months, we have to sit through some nutrition education class before we can pick up our vouchers. Last class a woman asked how often we should be feeding our babies solids since they still need plenty of formula (or breastmilk) for the right nutrients. The person doing the class answered with "3 times a day"... but we only get enough baby food for once a day. Unless she means cereal for 2 meals and "solid" for a meal. Bella doesn't like straight cereal much so we have to mix it with something (hence the recipe searching) so I've just been doing 1 8-10oz bottle in the morning and at lunch then a 4oz jar of food and a 4oz bottle for dinner. If she hasn't eaten too late then I give her one more 4oz bottle before bedtime.

Last edited by Nyzira; June 22nd, 2010 at 07:07 AM.
June 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very late chiming in here because I haven't visited these boards in a lonnnng time.

WIC isn't meant to give you everything you need, its meant to supplement. That may have been why the director of the class still said 3, even though there's not that much provided. We usually did the purees that we got from vouchers along with baby led weaning. We didn't like the purees, but figured they were being given to us, so we found ways to use them. I know the formula amounts that someone mentioned are also based on age and a supposed drop in need for formula since solids are typically introduced. That's how it was explained to me anyway, though I don't know why there's a size difference in the amount along with the number of cans. We almost always had to buy extra formula up until my son was about 10 months old. In MN I know they switched to the smaller can after the first few months we were on the program, the lady explained that it had to do with their contract with Similac. I hated storing the little containers, but if you save them and put small objects like bells, marbles etc in them then glue them shut.. they make great shakers!

Another idea for some of you with older little ones that either still get the baby food or have left overs and aren't using all of it.. We take the light colored foods and mix a little food coloring in with it. I usually divide it up so I can get a few different colors. Put it on a tray, cover baby up REALLY well and let them go to town. We've done it with pudding and call it pudding paint, but it works well with baby purees too. Very messy though! Also, look on your county's WIC website, they have some good recipes. I think I had a recipe at one time for pancakes, muffins, biter biscuits (I added some puree to these too to make cookies for LO, just makes them softer) and you can also mix yogurt in with it.

I caught a lot of crap from some of the nutritionists over the baby led weaning thing, but there were a few that were supportive because they saw that my son was still recieving proper nutrition and that I was making use of the foods being given to us. Sometimes you have to smile and nod at the things they say .

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011

Last edited by Caelen; June 29th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
June 29th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_England_Girl View Post
I don't mind the baby food as such, I can just cook it with other things, like Sara said, or mix it with other flavors to create something new, but the Rice cereal! OMG they give you so much of the darn stuff and it's nasty. What do you do with that?
I didn't get all of it most of the time. For a while I made the biscuits etc, then I just stopped getting it completely. It was like anything with baby cereal in it was kryptonite for Jacob and he wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
September 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I give my WIC baby food to a local women's shelter, as our baby only eats table food and breastmilk. Yes, I am in need, but there are loads of women in worse shape than I.

Adventures in Solid Food

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search