I don't want to start solids :(

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
n/a
This morning I have been filling my amazon cart with stuff I will need once Jack starts eating solids. I actually cried while doing it. My baby is only 5 months old and I am already sad he is growing up

I don't look forward to ending breastfeeding in the future, and once the solids start the breastfeeding starts to decrease, right? It makes me sad. Plus, my supply has just gone through the roof and it seems like such a waste that he will be getting less milk eventually. He eats every 3-4 hours now. Will his nursing sessions be more spaced out then that once he starts solids? Thinking about this is bumming me out and making me feel hormonal
December 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
just happened to be lurking by and saw your post...I know how you feel. We've just started trying some solids (oat cereal and bananas) and my DS doesn't like it much. I don't like it either!! I'd rather not start solids and just keep BF only. We're taking it really slow and we'll see where it goes, I'm in no hurry.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone in how you feel about solids.

December 2nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
*Fiona*
Michelle, milk will be Jack's main source of food & nutrition until he is a year old... when you first start solids, he wont be getting enough that would take over from milk. To begin with he'll be just getting a tiny taste to encourace eating habits and new tastes.

Quote:
Do I still need to give my baby breast milk or formula?

Yes, your baby will need breast milk or formula until he's a year old. Both provide important vitamins, iron, and protein in an easy-to-digest form. Solid food can't replace all the nutrients that breast milk or formula provides during that first year.
Introducing solid foods | BabyCenter
And, you wont force things upon him, he's not going to be eating a huge bowl full by the end of week 1 or even month 1 of starting foods. Kirsty has only just increased to what I would regard as a full portion for her. However, she still takes 3 bottles per day of formula... according to my health visitor, she should really just be having a breakfast and bedtime bottle, but IMO she isn't ready to drop her afternoon bottle and I wont force her to.

People used to say to me in the beginning of solids journey "listen to your baby and follow her lead". That statement confused me, my baby can't talk, how can I listen to her?! But it is true. You come to learn baby's cues just like when he/she is hungry, tired, needing a cuddle, etc.

Baby will only eat as much as he/she needs and wont over eat for the sake of it (like I do ) If he/she doesn't want anymore, they soon let you know... shaking head, waving arms about etc. And if they want/need more again they let you know.... Kirsty cries if her current portion is finished and she's still hungry.

Sorry this is long and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm preaching, just offering my experience with Kirsty. If I was you, I'd talk to your ped about the pros and cons of starting or delaying. THere are pros and cons to both. But what is important, is what is right for you and Jack, not the lady down the road whos baby started solids at 4months or for me whos baby started at 5months, or even the lady at baby group whos baby waited until 12months. KWIM?

You and Jack are the 2 who matter in your personal journey
December 2nd, 2009, 05:30 AM
Sweetie Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can sympathise, Evan is the same age as Jack and we started weaning at 4 months because he was looking for more than milk. I love BFing him and I was worried that things would change when he started taking less milk but 6 weeks in he is still having around 6-8 feeds a day and occasionally gets up in the night for milk so I don't feel like we're not having that time together and I don't think my supply has diminished either.
December 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
*Fiona*
Awww, thanks for posting that Karen! I'm sure Michelle & Bobbi (amongst any lurkers) will feel reassured by that

WTG You on having Evan sleep through mostly!! So jealous
December 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
n/a
Thank you all for understanding. I feel so silly to feel so emotional about this.

Fi, you are right. I am just going to let Jack show me how he wants to do this and not rush into things guns blazing. I tend to go overboard with things anyways, and I don't want to push this on him too much. Hopefully that will take a lot of the pressure off me. I bet once I give him his first few bites I will chillax about the whole thing. Hopefully. Thanks again

Last edited by n/a; December 3rd, 2009 at 09:13 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search