New Here and a few questions!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
amberrose22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to amberrose22 Send a message via Yahoo to amberrose22
Hi everyone! My name is Amber (28 almost 29!) married to DH Dylan (30) and we are parents to our pride and joy Liberty Jolene who was born in June. We started her on rice cereal sporadically around 5 months, just starting to do it every day a week or so ago. And we have spent the weekend making our first rounds of baby food. We have made batches of sweet potatoes and apples.

I would like to get her started soon, and was toying with giving her the first taste of potatoes today, however I'm not sure how to go about it with her schedule.

I EBF and pump during the week while at work. When I get home from work we BF, and then about a half hour later she gets about 4 tbsp of cereal. Then she gets a bath at 7pm then we nurse to sleep after bath time.

So if we want to start feeding her solids, do we take out the cereal altogether? That doesn't seem right. Do we start feeding her the cereal in the morning (maybe incorporating some fruit with it once we do the 3 day test first of course) and then maybe the veggie at night in place of when we would normally do cereal?

How long do we wait to start doing 3 meals a day?

Any other info you can think of would be great! She turns 6 mo on Xmas day and her 6 mo Well Check isn't until Jan 8th and we really don't want to wait til her appt to start solids. Do you think we should wait? I'm impatient
December 22nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
*Fiona*
Hi Amber, welcome to the board. Apologies for my delayed reply, I've been snowed in away from home and only got home today!

Personally, I didn't want to try new foods too late in the day incase it affected Kirsty's tummy which would therefore affect nighttime sleeping. So I used to try new foods around lunchtime. If it was me, I would keep the cereal before bed and try new fruits/veg at lunchtime. Rule of thumb seems to be only try a new food every 2+ days, whatever you feel is a good timescale.

Try a week of lunchtime food, then you could try introducing a breakfast time solids, if you feel Liberty is ready for more foods.

I was impatient as well to get started, but Kirsty was ready for it when we started cereal around 4.5months. I only did cereal for a few days then skipped onto fruits/veggies.
December 22nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hmmm, we do cereal with each meal since it has so much iron, and they can get anemic quickly the first year, is this still true? I give them their fruit or veg, add milk, then mix in cereal to thicken. We went to three meals a day after doing twice a day for six weeks. Adding that lunch meal in really creates more work for us, lol!
December 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
Some interesting information on iron, how much a child needs at what stage, how to add more iron to their diet and what is/ is not as easily absorbed and how to help baby absorb more iron. Lots, and lots of information...

Iron and Baby, How much Iron does Baby Need? Is there Iron in Homemade Baby Food? Iron Supplement in Baby Food
December 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
*Fiona*
Thanks for sharing that link Aimee! I'm off to read...
December 24th, 2009, 04:49 AM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
We started with cereal in the morning, and then added a veggie at the supper meal. I always fed him after I breastfed him, and eventually we just gradually added a little bit more food each day. New foods especially should be fed in the morning if possible, that way if she has an allergic reaction you can catch it during the day.

I really like the information provided here:
STARTING SOLID FOODS

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
December 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM
amberrose22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to amberrose22 Send a message via Yahoo to amberrose22
thanks girls!
January 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amber I just got a really good book at barnes and nobel (The one at Jordan Creek)...I'm not sure on the title right now (I'll text it to you) but it has an awesome chart for introducing baby food! It was about $15.00 I think?? I really really like it! Also has good info on making your own food

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search