What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
I feel like I am doing this whole solid food thing wrong. We started at 6 months after a week of crying we quit, she just wasn't ready. We continued to try every few days with rice or oatmeal cereal. She never liked it. At 7 months 1 week we tried sweet potatoes and she liked them. It has now been about a week and a half and we are doing a solid around breakfast time and dinner time, with normal bottles in between. Yesterday was the first time it really seemed that formula wasn't filling her up. So right now she is getting about 32ounces of formula and a vegie twice a day, but the vegie she only eats 1/3 of a 3.5ounce container each time and that doesnt seem like much to me. I realize that she really only just started eating solids so it wont be much at first but it doesnt seem to be increasing and she doesnt want anymore. She is still growing so I am not too worried, but at the same time I want to be able to get her off a bottle at some point down the road.

December 24th, 2009, 12:42 PM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
No worries, mama, you aren't doing anything wrong! She's still getting most of her nutrition from bottles, as she should be. It's possible that she may just mostly skip baby food altogether, and eat like a champ for you once she is switched to table foods when she can feed herself independently. My son often refused to be fed, but once we got to the point where I could give him something he could feed himself (Gerber puffs, cheerios, etc), he would do that AND allow me to put food in his mouth. Maybe you could try cooking up some carrots or sweet potatoes really soft and cutting them into pieces and seeing if she'd do better feeding herself? They might be kinda slippery so you could even coat them with crushed cheerios so she can grab them more easily.

Really, though, she'll lead the way for you. Eventually, naturally, she will want to eat more of what you are eating, and you can ditch the bottles altogether.

Oh, and hello from another Minnesota mama!

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
December 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
*Fiona*
Hi there, and welcome to the board!!

ITA with Sara! To begin with Kirsty only took about 1-2 teaspoons of solids per sitting. It's simply a taste and slight "top up" to their milk, but as Sara states, milk will remain to be her number 1 source of food until she is around 1 yr old.

I agree with Sara on trying a new veggie, or even pears, they are sweet and easily digested.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search