Cutlery & Self-feeding

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2009, 11:44 AM
*Fiona*
What age did you start encouraging yo0ur child(ren) to use cutlery to feed themselves with?
How did you go about it?
December 31st, 2009, 11:50 AM
LucyRuth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Max is wanting to use cutlery, he knows what to do with it now and does all the motions but he hasn't mastered it! I think they give him a spoon to use while they feed him at nursery. I'm not sure how old Emma was when she learnt to use a spoon but she's a pro now lol she doesn't use a knife yet though.
December 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM
*Fiona*
ok, perhaps Kirsty is a bit little to start yet then?! I ask because I give her toast for breakfast and she is beginning to have sandwiches for lunch but I feel that may be too much bread... therefore I would like to give her weetabix and other cereal but she is Miss Independent right now and prefers to feed herself
December 31st, 2009, 12:28 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
My son I give him a spoon or a (toddler) fork to play with while he waits for and also eats his dinner. Sometimes I will stab something with the fork for him and it to him and see if he uses it, but normally he just takes the food off with his hands and eats it! With the spoon I give it to him loaded, and hold on to the end of it a little to help him put it in his mouth. He will grab it at about the spot right behind the "head" of it and shove it in his mouth it is so cute! This is how we do applesauce and other things like that. He has gotten pretty good. One he gets it into his mouth I let go and let him have at it a little until I take it back for the next spoonful. He understands what is going on now so he hands it over very easily. Sometimes we will share and I will take a bite, then he will and this gets him VERY excited and happy

ETA I don't use his toddler spoon anymore with him. I got him a set at Ikea and it is just so big an wide it was hard for him to get anything into his mouth with it. I just use the little teaspoons from our set now and it works perfectly for him

Last edited by ♥RainyLane; December 31st, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
December 31st, 2009, 02:28 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
I think lacey was about 12 months when she first wanted to hold the cutlery and play with it, i let her do that while i helped feed her with more cutlery, as most of it went down her front - it's only since 15/16 months that she has been holding and feeding herself properly, she can eat her dinner all by herself now, she can get things on her fork and on her spoon and get it in her mouth properly.

Rhianna was roughly the same age she was using her spoon & fork by 18 months, they both don't know how to use a knife yet though, they usually dig that in their sauce and mess around with it lol

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

January 1st, 2010, 03:23 AM
*Tracy*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
both girls now no how to use spoon and fork now they always feed them selfs every meal time i cant remember when i first gave it to them but charlie was younger cause she wanted to copy brooke neither of them no how to use a knife yet even brooke at 5 dosent use it right but she does try

January 1st, 2010, 05:09 AM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
ditto sarah. i have a scrapbook page of maica mastering a spoon at about 15 months, and from then she started to use it more skillfully.

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
January 1st, 2010, 05:26 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
at about 15 months i gave her a kiddie cutlery set she is really good with it now

January 1st, 2010, 07:10 AM
PrincessLou79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We started giving Zach finger foods and a lot of our foods at quite an early age (loosely following the idea of baby led weaning), and the only way for him to eat those foods was with his hands as he was too young to master using a spoon/fork. Unfortunately because it was so easy for him to eat with his hands, when we did introduce cutlery he initially refused to use it. He can use a spoon and fork now, but after a few mouthfuls puts them down and eats with his hands (because it's easy for him, and he's a lazy boy)! We obviously encourage the use of cutlery, and I am sure in time he will give up using his hands, but while it is the easiest way for him to eat then I'm not going to force the issue with him.

January 1st, 2010, 08:24 AM
*Fiona*
I feel the same as you Lou, as long as she is self-feeding, the cutlery part of it will come in time. I'm glad I posted this now! I was wondering about when to introduce a spoon. I have tried in the past to do as Aimee says, load the spoon and give it to her but she flails her hands/arms about and it ends up half way across the kitchen

I may try again though!
January 1st, 2010, 12:42 PM
LucyRuth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I should have added that although Emma is a pro she still sometimes uses her hands and she is nearly 3! She also knows it is easier and quicker! I'm not fussed as long as she is eating nicely and not playing with it!
January 2nd, 2010, 01:31 AM
*Fiona*
Even by using her hands, I'm pleased for Kirsty that she is becoming self-efficiant in eating - it means I get to eat my food whilst it is hot too!!!!
January 2nd, 2010, 05:28 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
Mia used a spoon till she was around 15 months then would only eat with a fork. She has eaten better since she started using a fork.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search