Cake

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2010, 08:27 AM
*Fiona*
Did your child(ren) have a piece of birthday cake on their first birthday? Or if your child is yet to turn 1, will you offer a piece?

I know some parents like to encourage healthy eating and hold back on such treats, (I am one) and so I wondered how you felt about birthday cake?

Kirsty turns 1 in a month ( so fast!!) and I do plan to let her tuck into a piece of birthday cake, but I am very much of the thinking that she wont miss what she doesn't have... i.e. I don't really give her sugary treats. I tend to stick with baby rice cakes & fruit.
January 1st, 2010, 12:46 PM
LucyRuth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine are allowed a slice of birthday cake on occasions, yes and both did on their first birthdays
January 3rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
PrincessLou79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Zach had a piece of birthday cake on his first birthday, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I don't advocate giving children sugary treats all the time (& certainly not as a substitute for healthier foods) but I personally don't see the harm in the occasional small treat.

January 4th, 2010, 09:11 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep, she will get a piece for her 1 year photo shoot and then she will get a cake at her party! I fully believe in healthy habits, but I figure if we keep the sweets away from her she will eat more when she is older!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't let Jacob have treats yet, but will let him have a piece of cake at his birthday. He's not a year old until March - St. Patty's day .

Fiona- have you considered something on the healthier side? Like a carrot cake? I'm sure you can find some recipes to make yummy yet fairly healthy cakes if you look. Keep in mind too.. most of it will probably be worn, not eaten! lol
January 4th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My guys don't get juice or any sugar, but they will get cake to destroy on their birthdays-makes for great pictures!
January 5th, 2010, 03:02 AM
*Fiona*
I'm not 100% against "treat" foods... Kirsty devoured 1/4 of a treat cake I was eating yesterday Sometimes all the moaning and crying in the world gets her her own way!!! Like all of you... in moderation is fine.

I tend not to use any sugar or salt in her foods. And now that she is eating the same meals as us, it is making us eat much healthier
January 6th, 2010, 06:50 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everything in moderation. I definitely let them chow down on cake on occasions. Well, not Joel yet, but he loves chocolate pie! (He had it at Christmas)

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

January 6th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I can just see Jacob getting ahold of chocolate pie.. and now I want chocolate pie! lol

I know what you mean Fiona, now that Jacob is eating the majority of what we eat it really makes us evaluate what goes in it. He wants to try eeeevverything that we eat so its easier to pass up McDonalds and stuff like that.
January 7th, 2010, 03:38 AM
*Fiona*
It's good though huh! It was the "health kick" DH & I needed!!
January 7th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Lol yeah it is a good health kick.. but man it makes me want to swing by McD's the few times I don't have him with me!

I'm actually considering letting DS have some cake at DH's birthday in a few weeks. He has a lactose sensitivity issue but maybe I can work around that when I make Dh's cake.
January 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
*Fiona*
Awww bless him! If it's ok for him to eat, there's no shame in it! More & more these days, my food is not my own, it is "ours" (Kirsty & mine)!!! Even if I sit down with a cuppa and a biscuit (cookie), she crawls over, pulls up to standing and shouts "mama!"
January 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Grace will definitely recieve her own little cake for her birthday. She has the occasional taste of sweets, but it's certainly not a daily occurance.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
January 11th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Veteran
I do give her cake.. On birthdays I make sure that my DD eats the first piece..
January 11th, 2010, 07:38 PM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn

Um...yes. He had cake for his first birthday.

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
January 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Sweetie Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What an adorable pic!!

Evan doesn't get treats now, I offer him rice cakes, fruit, dried fruit etc but once his birthday comes round I imagine he will be getting tasters of sweet treats now and again and he will be allowed a piece of cake

I run a sweetie shop so its important to me that Evan doesn't grow up thinking its his cupboard and that sweets are the norm
January 27th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I offrered Amara her birthday cupcake but she refused to even taste it. I've offered her pudding before, at christmastime, and she refused then too.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
January 28th, 2010, 11:29 AM
*Fiona*
Awwwww!! She's a sweet girl I know Kirsty will gobble up her birthday cake
January 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
yup, a smash cake

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM
*Fiona*
Hello Jackie, welcome to the board

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search