Getting over tongue-thrust reflex?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Last week my paediatrician told me that I had to start my 4-month-old on solids, and I have to supplement with formula, because she's not gaining enough weight.

Supplementing is no problem, but solids seem to be easier said than done. I've tried giving her small amounts of (very diluted) rice cereal and squash. I think she likes them -- at least she doesn't seem to complain, and seems to want more of the squash. But she doesn't seem to be getting the whole idea of swallowing, so I don't know how much she's actually getting down (and getting it down is the important part because she has to start gaining weight more rapidly). Mostly she just pushes everything out of her mouth with her tongue because she still has a tongue-thrust reflex, and then I try to push it back in with the spoon.

How do I help her get over this? There must be a way -- I know in my generation we were started on solids at 3 months or earlier, so there must be some collective wisdom out there on how to do it. Unfortunately I don't have a mother to ask, and my grandmother's too far removed from the whole process.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a little one over the tongue-thrust reflex that they can share?
March 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
*Fiona*
I'm so so sorry I missed this post. JMs is acting really odd for me just now.

Has there been any improvement since you posted? One thing I can think of... will she suck on your finger if you were to put it into her mouth? (your fingernails should be short & clean, insert finger nail side down so you don't scratch the roof of her mouth accidently if she squirms or sucks too hard).

If she allows your finger, you could try dipping a finger into the food, and letting her get used to receiving food via an "instrutment" this way, then transition to a spoon? What kind of spoon are you using? Is it soft and plastic/baby rubber type one?

Also, how diluted is the food? I started my little girl on solids when she was 4.5 months, and runny cereal just didn't work, it would constantly run out of her mouth, dribbling down her chin! I made it ever so slightly thicker so it stayed in her mouth.

Last edited by *Fiona*; March 14th, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
March 16th, 2010, 01:09 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
Is your baby losing weight? Or just not gaining enough? You said you now have to supplement with formula because of it? If you are supplementing I will assume you are breastfeeding... Breastfed babies can gain slower but it doesn't mean they aren't thriving... Just something to consider. I don't know the whole situation obviously. Maybe you can check out the breastfeeding baord too, they have lots of information on that sort of thing and support. I don't have much advice to give on the tongue thrust, started my son at six months on table foods... But either way I just wanted to wish you luck with it and I hope you get it all sorted out!
June 1st, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hi there!
New to this site... But need help, as it seems that I have the same problem (never had it with my first child, but all kids are different ;-)
Have you had any luck?? Did anything work? Would love to hear from your experiences... Any inpiut would be great!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search