Getting mixed advice

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2006, 08:36 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have recently started Troy on cereal and veggies. I have been doing both once a day (with new veggies--doing for 3-4 days like suggested). Some people say I should be doing both 2times a day, at least the cereal twice. I have been holding back since it is fairly new to him, but now feel like I should be doing more. I have seen the amounts he should be eating, but how many times per day should he be getting solids. We've been doing the cereal for a month and the veggies for 2 weeks. My SIL has 4 kids and did something different for each (bc they were all different of course) and said to use common sense and decide based on Troy's cues. Well, since I am a new mom, I don't know if I can truly read his cues yet
Any input is appreciated. (I did ask his MD and she just said to let him eat a whole jar a day if he wanted it--go based on his hunger)

May 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I totally agree, at his age solids are for practice so it doesn't really matter too much how much he eats. If you think he needs to have more because heis hungry, by all means, give him more.

I bottle feed my son (my breastmilk ran out at 3 months), so it is a little different. But I would give him a 5 oz bottle, then feed him some cereal mixed with a beginner fruit. I would use 3 tbsp. of cereal and about 1 tbsp. of fruit and mix it all up and feed it to him. If he finished it all, that was great, but if he didn't, I didn't worry too much.

Now he is 6.5 months and he is eating like a horse! He eats quite a bit, quite a lot! But each baby is different, so just try to see what your own little guy does and follow his cues. If you don't get them right away, I am sure that you will understand after a bit.

Good luck!!!

May 18th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yup, mixed advice is all you will get on this topic lol. I was SO overwhelmed when I started Cohen on solids. My doc wanted us to wait till 6 months, but he was showing signs that his formula was not enough, so I started giving him cereal at your sons age exactly(5 months and one week). I started REALLY slow. For about a week I would give him just one tablespoon of cereal once a day, then I started to give him 1 tablespoon two times a day, and slowly increased the amount. I waited until 6 months before I gave veggies, and that made giving him different cereals easier since you can only give one new food at a time.

So... to answer some of your questions, it doesnt really matter what anyone says or what advice you get. If you like your doc, listen to them, but honestly every ped seems to have different advice, so I say, find something you like that works for the two of you. I will share what my doc said just for the heck of it lol.

She said right now cereal is the most important thing becuase they really need the iron and all the vitamins and nutrients in it. Iron is most importannt of course. She said to give that twice a day. She said the veggies and fruits and stuff or more for fun and to rule out allergies and see what they like. I asked how many solid meals a day he should have and she said 3, to feed him his solids about the same times we would have our 3 meals. She also said to give him his bottle before I feed him and then give him his solids within 5-30 minutes after the bottle, because the formula and bm are most important right now(and I would imagine since you are breastfeeding this would be the best route to make sure your supply stays up).

Dont worry about the suggested amounts, my son eats nowhere near the suggested amounts. he only has about 13 tablespoons of solids the whole day and is 7.5 months. But I try to really pay attention when he starts to give I'm full signs and I stop feeding him right away, so this is just what works for him right now.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search