How much is enough?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there!

I just recently started feeding my nearly 6 month old solids and I'm not sure when to cut him off, or if I even should. Up until now he was only eating about a Tablespoon of food, if that, at one time (after either nursing or having a 6-7 oz bottle of breastmilk). But today he suddenly doesn't want to stop. He nursed and then ate about a Tablespoon of avocado. After that he was still hungry, so I got him a small scoop (2 tsp) of sweet potatoes. After that he wanted more, so I gave him another scoop... And then another. So we're now up to 3T of food and he'd already nursed! Now he's sitting here next to me fussing and opening his mouth for more food. What do I do? Get him another scoop of sweet potatoes (2 tsp) or leave it at that until his next meal. I don't mind giving him more and he's actually a little underweight, so giving him more isn't an issue. I just don't want him to get sick and spit up orange everywhere. lol.

I think for right now I'm going to go ahead and give him another scoop because it's been like 5 minutes and he's still acting like a baby bird. However, for future reference - what should I be doing?
April 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM
*Fiona*
Hello!

Is he nursing more than usual? I'm wondering if he's hit the 6month growth spurt? How many days/weeks have you been offering solids for now?
April 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He nursed more about 2 days ago, but otherwise he's been nursing exactly the same and he always gets 3 bottles a day, each with 4-5 oz of breastmilk and 2 oz of formula. I started him on solids 5 days ago, he had just avocado for 3 days and then I introduced sweet potato yesterday, so he's been getting both avocado and sweet potato (both of which he loves, yay). He used to eat about a Tablespoon at a time, 2-3 times a day and then would turn his head when he was full. I guess he was either really hungry this morning or he was just really enjoying the sweet potatoes! lol. Tonight he ate a little more than a Tablespoon and was fine with that...

I guess I just didn't know if there was a "cutoff" point when feeding your baby solids, or if you just kept spooning it in til they stopped. I always nurse him til he's satisfied, so I guess there's no reason this should be any different.
April 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM
*Fiona*
Sorry for the delay in my coming back here. Personally I feel you are right in listening to Xander, stopping when he "tells" you he is full up and had enough... within reason. Obviously, you know he's most deffo had enough if he's eaten 3 bowls full of food... KWIM?! Try not to overload him, solids is very new and can take a lot of getting used to (bowels as well as tummy).

If it was me, I wouldn't make a huge jump from like 1 tsp to 6 tablespoons, KWIM? Increase gradually and go by him. I hope that helps a bit?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search