weaning

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Food/Feeding Support LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2006, 12:46 PM
ZanderZone05's Avatar Veteran
I hate to post this because theres so many other weaning questions - but for some reason i can't find one about the same as me! Zander (he'll be 1 on May 8th) has been refusing to let me feed him for the last few weeks - but if my DF feeds him, he eats! Its completely frustrating. And when he nurses (i've been breastfeeding since he was born -and no pacifier at all!) - he isn't interested. He eats from me after his breakfast, i've been giving juice or water and a snack so he doesn't nurse anymore between b & l - and after lunch he nurses. Every once in awhile he wants to 'snack' from me around 3ish - and after dinner he eats from me -- then he is late sleeper (because his dad works late so he stays up and bedtime isn't until 10 or 11 - which is fine with me cuz i'm a SAHM and he still gets himself up at 7!) .... so he eats from me sometimes 2 or 3 times before bed!

I have noticed when we're busy and out running errands, he will only nurse once or twice - and still sleep okay at night - but i can't afford to go out everyday to get him weaned! lol. When he does nurse from me, sometimes its 5 minutes - sometimes he'll take 10 again. And since nobody else i know breastfed (except for on here) - i'm not sure if i need to pump so my DF can do a bottle or something at bedtimes (which he never uses a bottle - so i dont want to get him started on that just to wean him on that! Any help would be great!! Or direct me to somewhere! lol.

I'm pregnant and my doctor thinks it would be best to wean now (because i have a history of not eating right - lol - so having 2 babies taking my strength would be enough! lol) ...

Also, since hes only got a week left, is giving him cows milk okay? He doesnt seem very interested in juice or water and since i'm trying to wean - do i want to give him breastmilk in the sippy cup? And if i did do breastmilk, how long can it stay out before going bad? I didnt know if i should call my doctor and ask, so i thought i'd check on here because you all seem to know what you're talking about! lol so i'll go with what you think!

And what regular -adult- foods are okay to give him - i think i just remember hearing no tomatoe stuff - peanut butter - hot dogs - anything else because he doesn't even like his entrees! He wants big kid food! lol. Sorry this is a long one! Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks again!
Got engaged December 2004.
We had Zander May 2005.
Then Izzie December 2006.
Tied the knot June 2007.
May 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Veteran
Hi

First of all, try to eat right, it is very important, as you know.

Anyhow....I think that you might not want to start pumping, cause thats still making you produce, and you are wanting to completly wean him, then that woudn't stop the production part. I would slowly start giving him milk when he would normaly want to nurse, that way he'll be full. ANd if he starts to get in there and pulling at you, distract him somehow, till hes' forgotten he wanted to nurse.
As for food, basicly off him pretty much anything, just in small pieces. My ds is 11 months and he eats tonnes of "big people food" The only real baby food he still eats is cereal, and thats just for the iron in it.
As long as its' not hard, it should be fine. "they" say to avoid realy salty things(processed instant foods like alphagetti) Try yogurt, pasta, cheese(cut up small or shredded) melons, pears, strawberries, blueberries, frozen peas(my ds loves these) Cut up meat into small pieces, buttered toast cut up small, any veggies soft enought to cut up,tofu, crackers that are soft(baby mum mums are good) cheerios, rasins goldfish crackers, fish, realy pretty much anything at this point. Just give him a couple choices at a time, to many and he'll swipe them off the tray,- overwhelming if there is too many choices. If he isn't interested in something, try it again in a couple days, they take awhile to like somethings.
Anyhow, good luck and have fun!!!(well you know)
May 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM
ZanderZone05's Avatar Veteran
lol - thanks! that sounds soo much better! lol -- the only other question i have now is -- now that i'm pregnant (9 weeks) --- am i going to ever stop producing milk? will i not leak until delivery - or roughly before that? my DF sister mentioned that yesterday and i'm clueless!! lol -- but all of the foods that are okay will make things much easier! thanks again! i'll keep updated how we do!
Got engaged December 2004.
We had Zander May 2005.
Then Izzie December 2006.
Tied the knot June 2007.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search